Dropping horsepower, still an upgrade?

SeaRogue

Hey all,

been stalking these forums for some time, obtaining lots of tidbits on boating, motors, maintenance, etc. I'm at a bit of a loss as to a present decision I am faced with, and am asking for some input on thoughts.

The boat : 1999 Doral 240WA Ibiza. Very seldom heard of, hard to find. It was Dorals entry into the 24' Walkaround class, but they disappeared quick. The boat weighs 4100 lbs (found this number online somewhere), and carries 155 gallons of fuel. Currently, it is powered by a 1999 Yamaha 225 OX66 outboard, that generally runs 28mph at 4000(ish) rpm. WOT is around 42mph at 5000 rpm (not 100% here, as I seldom run it flat out). The hull I believe to be an 18 degree deadrise with a moderate V, 8'6" beam. My boat is rated for 300 max hp (not sure how this is affected by four strokes vs two strokes)

Recently, my dad purchased a new Mercury 200hp engine. He did this as he had not flushed his 2011 Mercury 200hp Verado ever, and theres signs of corrosion in the Charge Air Cooler (so I'm told). The engine was running fine with no complaints prior to hitting the mechanic. The warranty was expiring soon, and the mechanic went digging for any warranty related issues prior to expiry. This was when he found the corro

sion. My dad has offered me this engine as is for free. Obviously repairs, controls, rigging, etc will need to be acquired.

I'm toying with the idea of mounting this motor on my boat, and am struggling to determine what performance will do compared to my smokey reliable beast of a motor. My original plan was to save up for a 250hp four stroke, and replace the ox66 when she blows (if she ever does). But, being young, a free motor is hard to pass up on. (I know its not free.. repairs etc, but compared to the price of a new, or even a used motor, relatively free is a term I will use.

Hey all,

been stalking these forums for some time, obtaining lots of tidbits on boating, motors, maintenance, etc. I'm at a bit of a loss as to a present decision I am faced with, and am asking for some input on thoughts.

The boat : 1999 Doral 240WA Ibiza. Very seldom heard of, hard to find. It was Dorals entry into the 24' Walkaround class, but they disappeared quick. The boat weighs 4100 lbs (found this number online somewhere), and carries 155 gallons of fuel. Currently, it is powered by a 1999 Yamaha 225 OX66 outboard, that generally runs 28mph at 4000(ish) rpm. WOT is around 42mph at 5000 rpm (not 100% here, as I seldom run it flat out). The hull I believe to be an 18 degree deadrise with a moderate V, 8'6" beam. My boat is rated for 300 max hp (not sure how this is affected by four strokes vs two strokes)

Recently, my dad purchased a new Mercury 200hp engine. He did this as he had not flushed his 2011 Mercury 200hp Verado ever, and theres signs of corrosion in the Charge Air Cooler (so I'm told). The engine was running fine with no complaints prior to hitting the mechanic. The warranty was expiring soon, and the mechanic went digging for any warranty related issues prior to expiry. This was when he found the corro

sion. My dad has offered me this engine as is for free. Obviously repairs, controls, rigging, etc will need to be acquired.

I'm toying with the idea of mounting this motor on my boat, and am struggling to determine what performance will do compared to my smokey reliable beast of a motor. My original plan was to save up for a 250hp four stroke, and replace the ox66 when she blows (if she ever does). But, being young, a free motor is hard to pass up on. (I know its not free.. repairs etc, but compared to the price of a new, or even a used motor, relatively free is a term I will use.
Friend of mine add the same Doral, back in the day it was powered by a 200 two stroke yammy, fished on it many times and seem to do the job, even going out to rats nose with 5 on board

You can get a hp boost on the 200 thru a few companies that re program the ecm. Is the 200 a 4cyl? The 6 cyl Verado is the same engine 200-300 hp. Different ecm

It will be a slug with 200hp but get in contact with simon motorsports and see what they can do for you. They reflashed my ecm for another 75hp

In general a 2 stroke versus a 4 stroke the 2 stroke will produce more torque because it has twice as many power producing strokes. This, combined with the reduced HP of the Merc would primarily affect the ability to maintain speed/RPM when encountering a large wave; with a slight decrease in top speed. FYI at only making 5K RPM the current engine is mildly over-propped & not making full power.

As alluded to above, on the Verado the same engine engine is used for 200-275 HP versions, is supercharged & an ECM-program change is the only difference of HP increases. Being supercharged, the 200 Verado may equal the 225 Yammy; especially if properly propped.

Love the looks of those boats. It deserves an upgrade vs downgrade ;-)

Attachments

• 0199D4EF-8494-4938-B548-218272773883.jpeg
    0199D4EF-8494-4938-B548-218272773883.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 115
Thinking off upgrading my 2 stroke to a 4 stroke or maybe upgrading boat
but just asking how many hours is too many on a used 4 stroke .
Is 1000 hours a on most 4 strokes too many

Thinking off upgrading my 2 stroke to a 4 stroke or maybe upgrading boat
but just asking how many hours is too many on a used 4 stroke .
Is 1000 hours a on most 4 strokes too many

You’ve got 2 clocks if it’s a salt water engine. The wear clock & the marine environment clock. The guys who are getting 3000+ hours are most likely commercial operators or at least year round recreational operators who are putting on a lot more then 100-150 hours a year.

If you're a 100 hour a year saltwater guy , with the engine sitting unused for months, chances are something corrosion related is gonna kill that engine LONG before the engine is worn from running. You can extend this somewhat by flushing after each use in saltwater and keeping the boat/motor dry for winter storage.

Over power not under power, the less a engine works the longer life it gets. Doesn't mean you have to use them all but being able to back off on the throttle means less fuel, less wear and longer life

If you're a 100 hour a year saltwater guy , with the engine sitting unused for months, chances are something corrosion related is gonna kill that engine LONG before the engine is worn from running. You can extend this somewhat by flushing after each use in saltwater and keeping the boat/motor dry for winter storage.

100% ! using a motor keeps parts lubricated
nothing worse than leaving for long periods with no running hours

I'd personally sell the motor rather than try and re-rigg it for your boat, if I understand you correctly. The switching costs for an out of warranty engine that may not give you the performance you desire does not seem worth it to me. Then keep your eye open for good boat show deals next year or guys upgrading. The engine manufacturers may be very hungry next year with 40 million North Americans unemployed it will be tough after the government subsidies run out. Then you can sell your current Yami... I think those are well respected on the HullTruth etc. Hope to see you on the water buzzing past me and my 150hp.

Back