Spring checklist - what’s on your list?

Is this for a certain size or type? I have a couple of small ones on my boat and have been checked on the water a couple of times. They look at the gauge to see if it's in the green and have never said anything about the age of them. They are 4 or 5 years old.
The inspection requirements are printed on the extinguisher label. Some require replacement at 5 years, iirc.
I do the annual checks myself & fill out the inspection card. Nobody’s complained about it yet.
New extinguisher was one of the maintenance tasks done this year. Plus;
New automatic bilge pump to replace the old one that didn’t have a float switch.
Installed voltmeters for both batteries & relays to run them, so both will read independently whenever either battery is selected.
Both motors serviced - oil, filters, fuel system etc.
Replaced a leaky hatch in the motor well.
Made up a dedicated mount for the trap hauler, so I don’t risk dropping expensive stuff overboard when swapping over.
Replaced bearing buddies twice, since someone around the harbour seems to need them more that I do.
Just finished making another prawn trap line using the line & single trap I snagged from the bottom while trolling a couple of months ago. Just had to buy one trap & a float.
I still have to change some line on the trolling reels & re-tie a bunch of gear. (Plenty of time to get that done, though)

Last edited:
Is this for a certain size or type? I have a couple of small ones on my boat and have been checked on the water a couple of times. They look at the gauge to see if it's in the green and have never said anything about the age of them. They are 4 or 5 years old.
In commercial or industrial applications ABC extinguishers should be checked monthly and professionally serviced annually.

Transport Canada says ABC extinguishers in marine applications should be visually inspected each month, and serviced once a year (clean, check that the release pin is intact, check for physical damage or corrosion, that the gauge needle is in the green and turn upside down and shake). A hydrostatic test should be performed:
  • every 12 years for pressure type extinguishers
  • every 5 years for carbon dioxide and water extinguishers
  • after discharge for any extinguisher 5 years old or older
There is no mention that routine servicing need be performed by an extinguisher contractor. However, after any discharge an extinguisher should be professionally serviced. Most small extinguishers are stamped with an expiry date, after which the extinguisher should be replaced.

Thanks Prfisher and Foxsea for the info on the extinguishers. I will check and pay closer attention to mine.

Checked mine today and it has to be discarded after 12 years, no recertifications. Probably cheaper to replace than to have a hydrostatic test performed. Regular inspection by owner only.

In commercial or industrial applications ABC extinguishers should be checked monthly and professionally serviced annually.

Transport Canada says ABC extinguishers in marine applications should be visually inspected each month, and serviced once a year (clean, check that the release pin is intact, check for physical damage or corrosion, that the gauge needle is in the green and turn upside down and shake). A hydrostatic test should be performed:
  • every 12 years for pressure type extinguishers
  • every 5 years for carbon dioxide and water extinguishers
  • after discharge for any extinguisher 5 years old or older
There is no mention that routine servicing need be performed by an extinguisher contractor. However, after any discharge an extinguisher should be professionally serviced. Most small extinguishers are stamped with an expiry date, after which the extinguisher should be replaced.
Jeez, I’ve been taking mine in every year to the local fire extinguisher shop where they take it in the back area, I hear a loud thump and then they give it back to me and I give them money! I just assumed it required a professional inspection.

Definitely worth inspecting at the least. A few weeks ago I just happen to glance at the extinguisher in the cabin and noticed the nozzle was jammed tight with dirt. At first I thought dammit was that the 3 year old but no it's those damn bugs, I think they call them dirt daubers or something like that. They like to nest in tiny holes and pack the larvae in with dirt. It was so tight in there I needed a pick to remove it. A couple years ago same thing with my outlet for the washdown.

Oh, and along with a lot of great suggestions in this thread I pull out both my bilge pumps and make sure they are clean and no fishing line stuck around the shafts. Wouldn't want to sink the boat because of a tiny scrap of line.

Back