2020 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Tried to go to 3mile this afternoon. Still quite rough at 3pm as we were heading out so we tried a slow troll for Hali from the green can out. Nothing by 4:15 so we pulled up and braved the washing machine seas to 3mile. Got one rod set up at 140’ setting up the other rod. First rod starts pounding. Ooops bottom came up faster than I expected. Lost a cannon ball. Get turned around again. Get set up and the rod goes off again. Biggest vermilion rockfish I have ever caught. Three more rockfish were the grand total of our efforts. Pulled up at 6 and headed home.

Not sure. They are doing a soft opening. For seasonal people and share holders. We have to be totally self contained. No public washrooms or showers .And have to self distance from other residents It’s better than not being able to go at all .:)

Not sure. They are doing a soft opening. For seasonal people and share holders. We have to be totally self contained. No public washrooms or showers .And have to self distance from other residents It’s better than not being able to go at all .:)
China Creek opening June 1, haven’t seen the rules yet, probably similar, will find out this week......

Fished harbour entrance to Swale then towards Howard pt. Lots of fish on the sounder towards Howard but nothing biting. Got a mass load of prawns. The biggest I have ever seen in my life. all XXL Normally not prawning during this week because the commies have it. The season is sure timed for them.
A great day on the water and burning cheap fossil fuel. :cool:

70-90', kirby to ohiat. sounder shows these clouds of squid all over the place.

I would love to see a screenshot of squid on a sounder if anyone ever gets a chance.

my garmin shows clouds of bait, i assume it is squid because the image is broken up and every fish including hali are puking them up.

Tried to go to 3mile this afternoon. Still quite rough at 3pm as we were heading out so we tried a slow troll for Hali from the green can out. Nothing by 4:15 so we pulled up and braved the washing machine seas to 3mile. Got one rod set up at 140’ setting up the other rod. First rod starts pounding. Ooops bottom came up faster than I expected. Lost a cannon ball. Get turned around again. Get set up and the rod goes off again. Biggest vermilion rockfish I have ever caught. Three more rockfish were the grand total of our efforts. Pulled up at 6 and headed home.

At Ease, is that a Riptide boat in your pic?

Nice photo.
Gonna give it a go for the first time this season tomorrow.
A question for you ,you went from Kirby to ohiat.
What does ohiat stand for?
Thanks

small island

A friend of mine that lives in port gave me a call to inform me that the locals will be blocking the road to Bamfield on the long weekend. So I’m not sure if that will affect the Poett nook residents.

A friend of mine that lives in port gave me a call to inform me that the locals will be blocking the road to Bamfield on the long weekend. So I’m not sure if that will affect the Poett nook residents.
road to the rez has "guardians". no one can close the road in or out. makes no sense.

At Ease, is that a Riptide boat in your pic?
Nope. It was built in Port Alberni. Bought it off the builder. Mine is the original. There are two more built after it. One is in Haida Gwaii, the other was just brought back to port this year.

Just a reminder Cod Fathers in port is closed down so so fish nice there any more. Got mine at the fuel dock in port last time

Fuel dock has salt ice and fuel is pretty decent as far as fuel docks go was same as some gas stations marked gas awhile ago.

Had a late start this morning (needed to get gas in Bamfield after setting prawn traps). Set up right at the mouth of Bamfield Harbour and started to troll along the wall. Some bait showing on the sounder at times. Bait fish jumping on the surface. Picked up 8 or nine shakers. Picked up one close to keeper size but released it at the boat. Lost two more feisty ones half way to the boat. 75’ white and green hoochi and a purple haze flasher had the most action. Tried a needle fish spoon and green flasher 10’ above and below but only picked up one shaker. Switched out to the white and green hoochi behind the green flasher and started to pick up fish on that rod as well. Wind came up at noon so it was time to head in. Winds look good to go out to 7 mile for Hali tomorrow so I’ll be heading out there after checking traps.

Edit: winds came up earlier than expected and the swell was intense so we decided to stay in and do some yard work around the cabin.

Last edited:
Back