Missing prawn traps Finlayson Arm

Tips Up

Left 3 sets of prawn traps out yesterday. Got a call this morning from someone who found one of my bouys floating loose. (Thanks!) He said his traps had been pulled and vandalized.
He left my floats at marina for me so I picked up tonight and went looking for my other traps. The guy that runs goldstream launch said there has been issues lately.
I found one set in shallow and damaged. So I’m out 4 traps 2 sets of rope and a Scotsman with boat fender attached with my name and number.
call the number if you find my floats plz and beware in inlet right now.
Pretty disappointing. I’ve been prawning in the same spot for 20 years. Never had a problem. Bastards!

Mutilated was the word he used. Said weights and line weights stolen. He was on cell phone from water and I did not know him so short call.
I had Fairly new Bauer style traps with 300 ft of soft poly line with 25 ft of lead line to a scotch man and a boat bumper with my name and number. Nice set up so maybe that is why they were stolen.
The set left behind had a broken bungee on the door so I zapped it shut by one corner. Zap was still there and door was bent open to remove prawns. So I know it was pulled. I guess the broken door was not worth stealing.
The floats found loose had about 3 ft of line on them with a clean cut.

Last edited:
Unfortunately all it takes is one person to ruin it for everyone. That guy probably had his traps looted or stolen and is taking it out on everyone else.

This ^^^ pisses me right off. Pulling a guys traps are bad enough, but you gotta wreck his **** and steal the rest? WTF is wrong with people?

I have had my traps pulled before, I think I even posted a description of the boat years ago on here. I don't leave them anymore. Sit on them for an hour or two , have lunch, listen to some tunes or read. No more problems. Sad that a person has to do this but in saanich inlet it is the new normal.

And does anyone else think the acetylene bottle hillbilly gate at the top of goldstream is one of the more ugly/dumb/narrow gates they have ever seen? It's bad enough I have to be in 4x4 to get up that hill but now I gotta go slow so I don't hit welded steel with my boat.

They can have my prawns. Just leave my Fckn traps alone. I’m out over $800. Just bought new box traps 2 years ago to replace the old mesh traps that mice ate.
I only prawn about 3 times a year for a weekend at a time. So makes for expensive prawns.
My 10 year old fishing partner is really having trouble understanding why someone would do this.

It's happened to me mostly in territorial areas worth it to find another spot a few miles away or your own spot. There is one spot I fish that I can drop the traps and have unrestricted view and that's salmon rock near gower point. Even most other fishing spots I'm too far down to watch them.

I thought about something but it's illegal and that's to get a piece of driftwood put a dog eye in it and hide your traps. But dont do this lol.

There is a reason why commercial prawn traps are for sale used....and it's not because commies just decide they want new traps

That sucks Graham. Sorry to hear. You may want to look at making them for yourself. A little cheaper in case you lose them. I sit on mine. Just too expensive to leave them alone.

Thanks Jarid.

I received a follow up call from DFO officer this morning which was great as I reported to RAPP yesterday.
He tells me they have had many reports that someone is out there cutting floats off lines. He thinks just cutting off and leaving traps and rope behind. After discussion we concluded that it was likely that good traps were stolen and others probably emptied and sent back to bottom with no floats.
The disappointing part was when I said it was great that they are aware and asked what was being done in the way of enforcement and added patrol... he said nothing as they are restricted due to Covid and most manpower was designated to protecting Whales at this time. He encouraged me to report to RCMP as theft which I will do today.
Extremely disappointing to confirm that Rec Fisheries are bottom of the list for priority. I believe we put the most $ and effort into this resource but end up last on the priority list.

Reported to RCMP and case file started.
I encourage anyone that has had an issue to report to RAPP and RCMP
Enough complaints and maybe there will be investigation.
I have had a few texts and PMs noting similar issues. Along with some vicious rumours and stories.
Please observe and report. Photos and boat descriptions are needed.

I was born and raised in Brentwood and fished this area since I was a kid on my dads boat. Love and respect the area so I take this personally.

In Canada we don't have justice system. We have "legal" system that doesn't deliver justice but it does make crime a safe and profitable career choice.

They can have my prawns. Just leave my Fckn traps alone. I’m out over $800. Just bought new box traps 2 years ago to replace the old mesh traps that mice ate.
I only prawn about 3 times a year for a weekend at a time. So makes for expensive prawns.
My 10 year old fishing partner is really having trouble understanding why someone would do this.
Really sorry to hear this, especially for your kid. My 11 year old had the same difficulty with being poached in the inlet this year. We fished it for most of April, and got poached pretty regularly, but I guess our set-ups aren't nice enough to rip off. ;-) I really feel for the kid, though -- it's tough to explain why someone might do that.

Lost two of my commercial traps that were in great condition and had another set cut off. Found the floats and about 200 feet of rope on the beach

Since taken my traps out of the water

Last edited:
Lost two of my commercial traps them at were in great condition and had another set cut off. Found the floats and about 200 feet of roof on the beach

Since taken my traps out of the water
Please report to RAPP and west shore RCMP
Enough reports maybe we will get some enforcement.
This is happening now in this area. Would be easy for them to bait the culprit and get this dealt with.

Too nice of an area/ resource to just walk away and leave to these thieving bastards.

Back