Descending devises

Yes I believe they are a condition of your license now. Seaqualizers are expensive but nice and easy; Many prefer to make their own with an inverted hook which is a bit more of a hassle but it works fine.

Frequently the afternoon north west winds end my day offshore ground fishing....My time out there is limited. It takes 3-5 lbs. of weight, on my inverted hook, to drop these 10+lb. pumpkins back down.......and some fumbling around to get everything set up.........release on the bottom (sometimes 300')........Then crank the weight back up....Re bait the fishing rod.....drop back down, and start fishing again. My single action Alvey reel is gone.....I would like to put a Seaqualizer on my downrigger to decend the rockfish..................Seaqualizers.....come in 3 sizes.... 30', 50', 70'.....50', 100' 150'.......and 100', 200',300'......
There was an earlier thread on barotrauma. The author thought that 2 atmospheres (66') was enough depth to release these ground fish and have them survive........
I usually don't like fishing deeper than about 300'. What is the best depth choice of Seaqualizer....and is 66' an acceptable depth to release a fish that came from 200'-300' or should they go deeper......and how deep......to maximize survival ?

Frequently the afternoon north west winds end my day offshore ground fishing....My time out there is limited. It takes 3-5 lbs. of weight, on my inverted hook, to drop these 10+lb. pumpkins back down.......and some fumbling around to get everything set up.........release on the bottom (sometimes 300')........Then crank the weight back up....Re bait the fishing rod.....drop back down, and start fishing again. My single action Alvey reel is gone.....I would like to put a Seaqualizer on my downrigger to decend the rockfish..................Seaqualizers.....come in 3 sizes.... 30', 50', 70'.....50', 100' 150'.......and 100', 200',300'......
There was an earlier thread on barotrauma. The author thought that 2 atmospheres (66') was enough depth to release these ground fish and have them survive........
I usually don't like fishing deeper than about 300'. What is the best depth choice of Seaqualizer....and is 66' an acceptable depth to release a fish that came from 200'-300' or should they go deeper......and how deep......to maximize survival ?
the better we do it, the better the chance of survival. send it to the same depth caught at.

is it mandatory to have a descending device while cod fishing at this time? which are best?
Get a Seaqualizer. Well worth the money. Get the model that matches the depth you fish at. I have the 100-200-300' one. When bottom fishing mine is hooked on my downrigger ready to deploy. Watch a video on how to use it. If you are using it get the fish moving back down to bottom asap. Quick to use after a little practice. I have spent last 2 summers guiding and fishing out of Milbanke Sound and regularly return Yellow Eyes down to 300'. The Seaqualizers work the best.

I use a milk crate connected to my downrigger. I'm pretty sure I read about it here first and tried it out for the first time a year ago and it works incredibly well.

Seaqualizer works great on downrigger. With good electronics you can see on your screen when the fish is released and then swims the rest of the way to the bottom. I descended several in the last couple days but keep forgetting to get a screen shot. Well worth the expense and effort to be good stewards of the resource.

I have a Seaqualizer , worked great for the first 2 years but now it will not release at depth? Any Ideas I took it apart and cleaned it up but still nothing.

replace elastics often! release to the depth that caught, note the basic device in the background baro.jpg

Last edited:
364F0668-7D1B-4044-A2AB-CE923BB4E817.png if you use a Shelton, you can hook it up inline on your jigging rod. when you are sending your jig back down, you can also send the fish back down. kill two birds with one stone.

Maybe bad luck, but my seaqualizer quit opening up after my first season with it so it has been an inverted hook with weight ever since. It was well rinsed after every day and occasionally WD40’ed. I pity the poor rockfish that took 3 trips up and down before I came to the conclusion that the damn thing wasn’t going to work.

Maybe bad luck, but my seaqualizer quit opening up after my first season with it so it has been an inverted hook with weight ever since. It was well rinsed after every day and occasionally WD40’ed. I pity the poor rockfish that took 3 trips up and down before I came to the conclusion that the damn thing wasn’t going to work.

yah this is what i feared. thanks i’ll stick to my $10 descender

Back