baby butt cream

just wondering if anyone else has tried this. penaten diaper rash cream smeared on a outboard mounting bracket as an antifouling agent to prevent mussels and barnicles growing on the bracket. I leave my boat in the salt water year round so I know what it is like to scrape it off . last sept when I pull it out to wash and paint the fiberglass hull and aluminium pod someone told me to try the butt cream on bracket and part of the pod that is not taking the brunt of the force of water when cruising. for 2.00 a can lets try this. well it is now going on 9 months and I have to say no mussels and no barnies. the weed and algae grow on it but when cruising it blows off. cheaper than trilux 2. it took only one can to do the sides and back of pod and the outboard bracket. I smeared some on the bottom of pod will see when weather and water temp rises before I put on my snorkeling gear to check.

I use it on the top side of the trim tabs and the actuators. As well as the motor brackets below the water line and my transducer as well. The rest of the boat is bottom painted. It works well for sure and easy to put on and it doesn’t need to be pretty...

I use it on the top side of the trim tabs and the actuators. As well as the motor brackets below the water line and my transducer as well. The rest of the boat is bottom painted. It works well for sure and easy to put on and it doesn’t need to be pretty...
Your wiping "baby butt cream" on your dam awesome boat? I'm saddened. o_O

HM

Your wiping "baby butt cream" on your dam awesome boat? I'm saddened. o_O

HM

haha.....only below the water line so only the fish know. Actually by the end of the summer there isn’t much left and keeps the barnacles away so I’m happy. If it was in all year it might need a second application but most of the growing season is in the Spring. I promise that it hasn’t changed it’s awesomeness...lol :)

It does have zinc as it is a diaper rash zinc cream, Benaten from England. Not sure if it has more zinc than others...
Not for the high speed parts but the slow parts, yes.
I never put it on the face of the transducers.

It does have zinc as it is a diaper rash zinc cream, Benaten from England. Not sure if it has more zinc than others...
Not for the high speed parts but the slow parts, yes.
I never put it on the face of the transducers.

I agree. I don’t do the face of the transducer or the bottom of my tabs. Like mentioned no need for the high speed parts just the ones that tend to grow. There isn’t much zinc in Penaten but obviously enough....

Ive been using it for 8 years works great I even put it on the drive all over anywhere ,trim tabs,rams,any where **** can grow I put it on it dont be shy use lots LOL its easy to get off too just power wash it .. best place to buy it is at costco you get 2 big ones and a mini for the same price at any drugstore FYI

Ive been using it for 8 years works great I even put it on the drive all over anywhere ,trim tabs,rams,any where **** can grow I put it on it dont be shy use lots LOL its easy to get off too just power wash it .. best place to buy it is at costco you get 2 big ones and a mini for the same price at any drugstore FYI
Does it last a year or do you do multiple times a year?

I take my boat out 2 or 3 times a year I just reapply if it need it but yes it does last a long time ,unfortunately she hasn't moved much this spring with whats been happening and in summer I try and take boat out every 6 weeks or so ... I know when its time unfortunately stuff still grows on sides of boat and the hull even been used a lot just power wash it and slide it back in...

Great thread!

Learned something new.

Now someone needs to reformulate it to increase the zinc content, then rebrand it as 'anti-fouling grease' and sell it in the paint section of the marine/boat stores. Oh, and don't forget to double or triple the price.

Last edited:
Back