Clothesline type shore anchor system.

tinboatrobb

Anyone use one for a 14ft tinner to keep it off the beach and if so what do you use? Yes I googled it, looking for real use idea. Thanks.

Anyone use one for a 14ft tinner to keep it off the beach and if so what do you use? Yes I googled it, looking for real use idea. Thanks.
No input here but I say f*** the guy that gives you a hard time about googling first. I'd way rather hear SFBC opinions first about this stuff.

Hey hope this is related, years ago some old salts I worked with use to Bungee cord shore anchoring in Alberni inlet that they made themselves , can not remember the details and unfortunately those guys are all one fathom under now !

You will have to sink a five gallon bucket full of concrete offshore where you want your boat to sit. Than you tie one end of a rope to the bucket and run it to a floating buoy. Tie a loop in the rope next to the buoy. Run your clothesline through the loop at the buoy and run it through a stationary loop anchored on the shoreline. Tie one end of the clothesline to the bow of your boat and the other to the stern. Then all you have to do is reel in your boat when you want to use it or send her back out when you put her to rest at the end of the day. I have used this technique successfully for years with my panga down in Mexico. I am not sure the folks in charge of BC waters would be too thrilled for you to dump your bucket without a permit.

I had a bungee cord setup for my 17ft double eagle. There was a anchor with a bungee cord and a float at the other end. You would drop the anchor and tie on to float with a long line. Drive to shore get out of boat. Hold on to long rope and let bungee pull boat back out. When you are ready to leave pull boat back in with long rope and either pull anchor or leave it there.
https://www.royaldistributing.com/a...A4EUxxtU1BXrHQII7AAz_AY38VlfMUmBoCxEkQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
That sounds good. I should have said I would use this for beach hiking or picnicking, not moorage. Thanks.

Many years ago we used to anchor the boat 100 ft offshore in safe water 30 ft deep, always in well protected, no current small, mud/sand shallow bays. First trip each season or first time in that place we would take 4 cinder blocks, tie end of rope to one and let down, then slide 3 down rope, on surface end was a loop with a crab float. Each time we got to our "spot" we would remove crab float and replace with A3 scotchman with shackle and pulley on bottom. Run a line from bow thru pulley/shackle and back ashore, after beaching and unloading camp we pulled line and boat went out to scotchman. In morning pull other way and boat came to beach.

I never really liked plan, never had complete faith, always worried about waking up to no boat and being stranded on a small island and sometimes line got tangled around pulley and made getting boat to shore not as easy as it should have been. Also need more than 2 times line from shore to boat, not a big problem for us as we were close to shore in water just deeper than low tide. Did this as we were afraid of the bears, grizz and blacks, (after grizz pressed his nose against nylon tent side) mainland side north island, boat was 17.6 DE so not big enough for 2 guys gear and camp for a week. Good loggers ended all this when they put a dock in for "us" to use. Now I upgraded boat by footitis, so we stay on anchor at night.

Should be lots easier for a 14 ft tinny, especially if only for watched day use. Tidal or non tidal? I would NOT use that anchor buddy thing above, looks like your boat is anchored to bottom by the stern, in wind, tide or current that would be bad.

HM

That sounds good. I should have said I would use this for beach hiking or picnicking, not moorage. Thanks.

I used to do a clothesline for overnight anchorage of a 16' open Skookum Sealer [like Oak Bay rental boats] - we did similar to what's described above, but I just used my anchor. Had a few issues with the clothesline getting tangled with wood or kelp, but generally worked ok. Would probably not get as tangled on a short stay.

Main reason we quit was the hassle of packing overnight camping gear thru muddy, weedy inter-tidal and back. Ended up being easier to sleep on the boat [with a few mods]. All good for 200+ nights at anchor, and then we had a kid - and now the 23' Hourston pictured in my profile.

Last edited:
I would NOT use that anchor buddy thing above, looks like your boat is anchored to bottom by the stern, in wind, tide or current that would be bad.HM
We always tied to bow and never a problem. But did notice in that video it looks like they are tied to the stern. So yes, never anchor from the stern.

I have used the anchor body anchored by the stern many times and never had a problem (e.g. Sidney Spit) . Mind you I have never used it in any winds over 10 mph or in strong tidal currents. Anchor buddy been around for years used all over North America. Obviously use common sense and only in calm conditions.

We’ve always used an anchor buddy for our 16’ tin. It worked well for most Anchorage’s but a couple times we had to use two in line because of a shallow/gradual shoreline meaning a long run of rope to the shore. Wasn’t ideal. Clipping both anchor & rope to the bow is okay to do but the system is designed for bow & stern setup.

I would NEVER recommend any boat anchoring to the bottom by the stern. That's a disaster waiting to happen, we have anchored in 20 foot of water 20 ft from shore and current has ripped past. Even in non tidal waters there are currents eddies and moving water. Better to be safe than sorry.

HM

Clothesline system as mentioned above works well for me, with an anchor/chain/scotchman setup. Might sound micky mouse but the long line to shore and attached to the boat at one point is thread through a curved device made of pvc piping (maybe 12”) attached to the scotchman. Hopefully this makes sense...

edit: also only use in safe low risk settings...seen too many boats washed up on shore in the mornings lol

Have you looked at Mediterranean mooring? Drop the pick normally, back into shore and tie off port and Starboard Quarters to the beach. You could adjust the boats position by heaving in and paying out depending on which way you want to go. Rig the stern line for quick slipping.

Back