Kicker locks

MadJigga

So, how are you locking your kicker to the boat? Are you satisfied with what you’ve done? I’m think of welding the bolts and rounding the heads of the nuts....

Mine is bolted to the kicker bracket. The clamps Hold the kicker to the bracket have a regular master lock so they don’t loosen. And I have a motorcycle cable lock locked through the kicker, boat, and trailer when the boat is in storage. I remove the cable lock when I go fishing

my kicker is an mid/late 2000’s Honda and I’m not really concerned about theft where my boat is. But if I cared more about my kicker, I personally wouldn’t weld the nuts and round off the heads because it would make it hard to remove for service or changing. Gives a thief all the more reason to cut off your kicker bracket or do serious damage to a fibreglass hull. It’s pretty easy to cut through a hull with today’s cordless tools....

I have been using one of these locks from Yamaha.

It’s a pretty good lock but you need to make sure your steering linkage clears when you tilt the motor up.

At the end of the day if they want it they can get it, but it makes the insurance company happy and it might deter them to move onto someone else.

Attachments

• C6F23A6D-E93C-4F74-9F6C-3CDB70454EE3.jpeg
    C6F23A6D-E93C-4F74-9F6C-3CDB70454EE3.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 77
  • EEBDB85A-08C3-4E10-BEE3-D91884578B82.jpeg
    EEBDB85A-08C3-4E10-BEE3-D91884578B82.jpeg
    454.3 KB · Views: 70
I locked mine for the first year then there was no way that lock was ever coming off. So when the marina smashed the kicker and tore the bottom end open during one of their misadventures, it took a massive set of bolt cutters to chop it open. No more locks for me...I guess it's a risk but then I have a reason to upgrade to one with power tilt.

I have been using one of these locks from Yamaha.

It’s a pretty good lock but you need to make sure your steering linkage clears when you tilt the motor up.

At the end of the day if they want it they can get it, but it makes the insurance company happy and it might deter them to move onto someone else.
Where’d you buy it?

I have always through bolted and locked the screw downs with a few homemade locking devices. My thought it would at least slow them down in the dark wondering “ what the fawk did this guy do?!?” Lol. I didn’t have anytime last year when the new power went on to MacGyver anything so I picked up a Panther lock that was at SG. It seems decent but I’m sure a real thief has a work around but I still think they may pass and pick an easier target. It’s still through bolted on the bracket. I think given enough time they will steal anything so I just try and make it a bit less fun for them to take my stuff...I will see how the paint holds up on it. I like the SS one that @Trev posted.

Attachments

• E10A7239-39D5-42B7-8A95-06A548602C35.jpeg
    E10A7239-39D5-42B7-8A95-06A548602C35.jpeg
    404.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I just finished the install on my 15hp pro kicker. All I’m in 7k. I’m wanting a little added security.

**** just leave a flock geese in the yard anyone come near they will make enough racket .... lol

I have a bolt lock, heavy chain and one of these:
lock.jpeg

https://rowkraft.com/shop/stazo-smartlock/

my boat was in a locked fenced dealer yard undergoing maint. my kicker was only attached with the regular thumbscrews (no locks). thieves broke in and lifted my kicker off clean (no damage). the other 4 boats around me had remote steering controls and bolts/locks. the ones with remote steering has their cables/hoses cut off. the ones with locks had their transoms cut with large rectangular holes (they cut around kicker mounting plates and chopped 1/4 of the transom up). good luck fixing a boat with damage like that. i'd rather they just steal the kicker and run away while insurance writes me a cheque. a small cheap bicycle type lock on the thumbscrews is enough to deter the average thief. any more than that and a determined thief will damage your hull and get the kicker anyway.

my boat was in a locked fenced dealer yard undergoing maint. my kicker was only attached with the regular thumbscrews (no locks). thieves broke in and lifted my kicker off clean (no damage). the other 4 boats around me had remote steering controls and bolts/locks. the ones with remote steering has their cables/hoses cut off. the ones with locks had their transoms cut with large rectangular holes (they cut around kicker mounting plates and chopped 1/4 of the transom up). good luck fixing a boat with damage like that. i'd rather they just steal the kicker and run away while insurance writes me a cheque. a small cheap bicycle type lock on the thumbscrews is enough to deter the average thief. any more than that and a determined thief will damage your hull and get the kicker anyway.
That’s sucks. Where did this happen? Seems like organized thievery. I’ll be mooring my boat at a marina. The thieves usually come in with a zodiac with an electric motor. They’re trying to make as little noise as possible. Nothing gets cut off if locked up. They’re looking for the easy snatch and grab and go stuff.

So I get what you are saying here. The more secure it is the more damage they do. This is the exact scenario my boat was in. Locked and fenced compound with cameras and you really could not see my boat. They had obviously scooped it out as avoided all the cameras. Plus I had a 4hp in the dinghy on the roof and they knew to take that too. As for insurance yes it was insured but there is a big deductible and insurance did not pay for taxes or the hoses I had to replace. It still cost me $1000 plus.
They also took it right before a planned August fishing trip and I had to cancel as took 2 weeks to get the motor. It just really sucks. Get a job and buy your own!

Back