Toyota Tundra or Dodge 5.9 Cummins?

Ray, I gotta say that your truck is the nicest dodge of that gen I have ever seen.....it's a true cream puff. Personally I would have a real hard time selling the dodge. If it was a beater.....absolutely but that truck is a beauty. I don't know how much towing you do with the travel trailer but I would bet the toyota is pretty thirsty compared to cummins.

Good luck with your decision!

Darin

I would keep the cummins . I have owned 2 of them over the last 27 years. The first one was a 1992 and the second one a 2006. They never let me down, the 1992 started in minus 29 weather after being parked for 3 days while a hunting buddies chev diesel did not. I sold the 2006, because we downsized to a condo and parking spaces are not large enough to accommodate a full size truck - I miss that truck.

My father in law has the Tundra and my boat partner has the 5.9. For comfort and safety Tundra wins hands down. For towing and hauling a load I would choose the 5.9, but if you only do that once or twice a month the Tundra is pretty good. Towing the tundra is supposed to tow anything over 5k with an equalizer hitch. I have a full setup for towing a boat which needs a pole tongue adaptor, which is for sale if anyone wants it, since my boat is over 5k and I had a Frontier at the time. The tundra tows 7k just fine without an equalizer but I worry about liability. I bought a 2015 Ford F350, it's like driving a barge and tows like a dream.

Here's the two for comparison.I brought the Tundra home to Victoria from Nanaimo today.I must say it drove nice and all the bells and whistles were new to me.The Tundra is obviously a much lighter duty truck than the Dodge but I don't need anything H.D or an 8 Ft. box anymore.I'm thinking I'm going to have to sell my Dodge right now but I'll give it a week to be sure.
IMG_9443.JPG IMG_9444.JPG

For everyday driving, Tundra. For heavy hauling, Cummins. My dad just bought a 2019 tundra and its like driving a car that can pull my 22' hewescraft ocean pro hard top with ease.

how much for the dodge
That's really the tough question right now.I know it's a rare bird with low Kms.for the year and zero rust.I've spent a lot on it in the last while because I had no intention of selling.Trans-$4400,Stainless 4" exhaust-$1000,2 batteries-$350,New dashboard& heater core-$500+.I'm thinking ballpark$15-17K.What do you guy's think?Edit-I forgot the $2000 brake job last fall,all new rotors,calipers etc.

Last edited:
That's really the tough question right now.I know it's a rare bird with low Kms.for the year and zero rust.I've spent a lot on it in the last while because I had no intention of selling.Trans-$4400,Stainless 4" exhaust-$1000,2 batteries-$350,New dashboard& heater core-$500+.I'm thinking ballpark$15-17K.What do you guy's think?Edit-I forgot the $2000 brake job last fall,all new rotors,calipers etc.
How many km?

If I would have to make that decision, I would consider the following:-
1) You know what you have in the cummins, pros & cons
2) If that dollar difference between keeping the cummins vs Tundra is substantial then I would keep the cummins if not then I would keep the Tundra

I'm guessing that exclusive of the sales tax , there is probably a $30,000 monetary difference.

I find the problem with the dodge is not the engine but everything else around it that starts to go in a truck that age. My brother has a 2002 and it’s been a money pit lately. Nothing to do with the motor but lots of other things to go wrong and break. My choice would be the tundra do to age.

Ray, I'm guessing the dodge is auto?

I find the problem with the dodge is not the engine but everything else around it that starts to go in a truck that age. My brother has a 2002 and it’s been a money pit lately. Nothing to do with the motor but lots of other things to go wrong and break. My choice would be the tundra do to age.
As you can see I put over $8000 into what I consider maintenance . I can't see anything major going any time soon.

5.9 all the way, if you want more power get a quadzilla ,want 24mpg upgrade the injectors

Attachments

• 59-cummins-pulls.jpg
    59-cummins-pulls.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 36
2007 tundra 1battery 3 times brakes oil changes 230000 kms tows boat like any other vehicle.....you figure out the sweet spot and would suggest in the end the tundra will probably provide more enjoyment and longer life

Back