2020 Nanaimo Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know a Kevin Owens, assuming lives in Nanaimo.
Found his credit card at Brechin ramp today
probably call the bank its from to get it cancelled if it hasn't been done already

Edit...found him...

Last edited:
Took the family out tonight after work to get out of the house and have a change of scenery. Tried our hand at jigging but could only find 3 under sized lings and two big yellow eye( released with a seaqualizer).

After about an hour me and my oldest boy were both ready to troll. Ended up hooking 5 Chinook in about an hour. The first one popped the pin before I could get the second rod down and my wife reeled in a nice Chinook around 20lbs once she got it close to the boat it tried to dive straight down twice and pull her or the rod in the water. A couple minutes later the other rod goes off and my seven year old brought in a low to mid teener ( he reels them in standing on a cooler with the rod in the rocket launcher). A couple more low teen fish and a 8 lber rounded off the night. All springs popped the pin exept the little guy! Water clarity is about 1' and chocolate brown. Spoons at 90' or 120' worked for us( only depths we tried). Also all springs were released beside boat with a gaff( for all you anti fishers out there)

Great night on the water. I'm glad I could finnaly find the motivation to get out there!

Great report ExFlyGuy. Great action! And nice size springs.
In which area were you fishing? I am going out for ling tomorrow and will try a different spot if possible.

Took the family out tonight after work to get out of the house and have a change of scenery. Tried our hand at jigging but could only find 3 under sized lings and two big yellow eye( released with a seaqualizer).

After about an hour me and my oldest boy were both ready to troll. Ended up hooking 5 Chinook in about an hour. The first one popped the pin before I could get the second rod down and my wife reeled in a nice Chinook around 20lbs once she got it close to the boat it tried to dive straight down twice and pull her or the rod in the water. A couple minutes later the other rod goes off and my seven year old brought in a low to mid teener ( he reels them in standing on a cooler with the rod in the rocket launcher). A couple more low teen fish and a 8 lber rounded off the night. All springs popped the pin exept the little guy! Water clarity is about 1' and chocolate brown. Spoons at 90' or 120' worked for us( only depths we tried). Also all springs were released beside boat with a gaff( for all you anti fishers out there)

Great night on the water. I'm glad I could finnaly find the motivation to get out there!
Love hearing reports like this - reminds me why we all try our best to protect access and opportunity to this special fishery - great way to introduce kids to the fishery so they grow up valuing and hopefully becoming future stewards of the resource.

Great day yesterday off the fingers. Released 10+ spring in the 8 - 10 ibs. range. The best spoons were the kitchen sink skinny g and the homeland security 3.5" at 100 to 120 feet.

Great day on water yesterday
Limit of lings and released a beautiful hatchery spring caught in 30ft of water. All caught on zingers
This brute hit the small cod on the floor, again in about 40ft of water, you can still see the zinger in small ones mouth,sent the small cod back to live another day.
Ended up circumnavigating Gab. ,beautiful area.

Attachments

• 20200511_160334.jpg
    20200511_160334.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 344
  • 20200511_160541.jpg
    20200511_160541.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 338
Yesterday, a big lingcod cut my 40lbs leader just before the surface.

Any suggestions on how to avoid this?

Just a heads up...there’s a nasty deadhead bobbing around out there. It’s been travelling back and forth with the tide for the last few days seen around east end of Jesse Island. Sticking only a few inches above the water, looks like the diameter of a telephone pole.

Great day on water yesterday
Limit of lings and released a beautiful hatchery spring caught in 30ft of water. All caught on zingers
This brute hit the small cod on the floor, again in about 40ft of water, you can still see the zinger in small ones mouth,sent the small cod back to live another day.
Ended up circumnavigating Gab. ,beautiful area.
Did you transit False narrows or Dodd narrows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back