My Neighbours Hate Me!

The real problem came when i worked with 1708 for the first time. That material is super thick, and doesn't like to move around much. It's hard to work out the kinks and air bubbles.. When i was finished with the 1708, i thought it was looking okay, but the next day i found bubbles galore :( This meant out with the grinder and filler material before laying the final layer of Chop Strand.. Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 10.45.34 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 10.45.41 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 10.45.58 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 10.46.03 AM.png

Sanding, filling, grinding.... repeat. Finally got the surface to an acceptable state and applied the last layer of CS, then seal with gel-coat. Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 10.46.18 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 10.46.12 AM.png

This is where i'm currently at. Next steps are to flip it over again, coat the bottom edges with resin and seal. Then flip it back over, sand and fair.. I have some of the evercoat filler left, but not sure if it's the right material. I just bought some totalfair from totalboat for a small fortune but not sure when it's actually going to arrive as it comes from the US.
There are some high spots where glass was double layered. (mostly on the edges). I plan to use 40 grit belt and orbital sander to bring everything to a uniformish state before adding the first coat of fairing.. if anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with the high spots i'm all ears!

Great job! Lots of work but rewarding to say you did it :)

Don't you apply the fairing compound before you gelcoat? And hopefully the mask in the one picture was not the one you were wearing during glassing? Get a good respirator mask - your lungs at 40+ will thank you!

chat to MikeP and you need to learn vacuum bagging trust me it works a treat he did my fill in's on my hull ....

Don't you apply the fairing compound before you gelcoat? And hopefully the mask in the one picture was not the one you were wearing during glassing? Get a good respirator mask - your lungs at 40+ will thank you!

You definitely could do that. I applied gel-coat first for three reasons.
1. I find it easier to sand down cured rather than tacky fibreglass. Tacky glass gums up your sandpaper quick.
2 the gel- coat filled in many pin-holes that were left on after applying resin
3. The resin I used was unwaxed, so I used the gel-coat to fully seal everything off and let things cure.

This is my first time so there a good chance there’s a better way of doing things

Does anyone know a typical temperature range that can be expected under the hood? I just learned that the gel-coat is good for up to 120 deg Fahreneheit before it starts to get a little tacky.. I have a Volvo diesel d4 260hp.. @Rain City maybe you've got an idea?
I can also just stick a thermometer in there when I'm done but i'd rather sort it out before i install..
The oil temp sits at about 180 deg F

Does anyone know a typical temperature range that can be expected under the hood? I just learned that the gel-coat is good for up to 120 deg Fahreneheit before it starts to get a little tacky.. I have a Volvo diesel d4 260hp.. @Rain City maybe you've got an idea?
I can also just stick a thermometer in there when I'm done but i'd rather sort it out before i install..
I was just going to say ask @noluck. He's a smarty smart pants

the underside of my doghouse was gel-coated and never seamed to be a issue, especially once you put some sound deadening on there

the underside of my doghouse was gel-coated and never seamed to be a issue, especially once you put some sound deadening on there
Great thanks for that..

Speaking of sound proofing, does anyone have any recommendations for what kind of foam to use?

Back