Seaport 2400 XL POD Conversion Project

Hey Guys'

Whats your thoughts on either blue or Pink foam board insulation in a boat? I am turning my attention to the fish box, which is going to get a Stainless liner. under the liner I want to put 1.5" of hard foam as insulation to keep the ice and fish cosy. Most of the foam will be protected from water but there might be some splashing as the foam will be exposed to the bilge as it drains to the back. I have read that the Blue is better than the pink at not absorbing water. Anybody have any thoughts?

My cuddy has hard foam insulation under the fuzzy liner. It kept dry over the off season and didn’t seem to absorb any moisture. I was considering doing what you are thinking about on my fish box. I will only really be able to do the bottom of mine since it sits up on the transom as a bait station. I had considered putting an insulated liner in it because it’s fairly big. It actually held ice pretty good without the insulation so it might get moved down on my to do list this year.

my neighbors kingfisher has a fish locker in the floor and man it got hot. he tried a number of things to keep the fish cold. he bought these blue mats..they weren’t cheap but the absorb zero moisture. the name of the stuff escapes me right now. but it still really didn’t help that much. how deep is your fish locker? what about one of those cheap premade styrofoam coolers would one of those fit?

Just get a good fish bag and throw the fish in there. It'll mould to the locker and you can pull it out to wash it.

If it's not constantly submerged in water I think odds of it absorbing any significant amount are tiny. This stuff gets used in insulated boxes in boats all the time, I'd say go for it. To my knowledge there's no chemical difference between pink and blue - one is from Corning, one Owens Corning IIRC. They're both extruded polystyrene.

Edit: sorry, DOW and Owens Corning. Wasn't paying attention!

Last edited:
I think I'd be tempted to make the box out of thin plywood w/foam outside ,then fiberglass in and out,use food safe gelcoat inside .flat bottom should clear your V bottom bilge..If it's too big an area ,make 2 boxes,1 big enough for your biggest fish and another for storage.The fish box could be plumbed with a macerater pump if you want it more permanent like most fish holds.The stainless liner you mentioned won't be cheap and heavy/awkward to empty,maybe go aluminum if that route.

There will be a macerator pump to clear it out, once it is in, there should be no reason to take it out. I thought about the plywood thing and I think it would do, but I like the look of stainless and once you have spent as much as i have on this boat you might as well finish the job off right. First quote 300 for the material and 500 for labor, I am hoping to find a backyard guy who can weld it up.

There will be a macerator pump to clear it out, once it is in, there should be no reason to take it out. I thought about the plywood thing and I think it would do, but I like the look of stainless and once you have spent as much as i have on this boat you might as well finish the job off right. First quote 300 for the material and 500 for labor, I am hoping to find a backyard guy who can weld it up.
Where are you located?

steely Dan or myself both have tig welders

So onto the next project! I need am going to move the axles on the trailer as the tongue weight is very light with the outboards now. I am going to have to extend and shorten some break lines which is fine as I have a flaring tool and all that. What I am not sure of it the getting some break lines. To me the current lines look like galvanized steel. I called lordco and pacific axle and spring but they don't carry galvanized steel break tubing. Lordco said they have coated steel tubing but didn't know what the coating was. Anybody know where to get galvanized steel tubing for the break lines?

Back