Toyota Tundra or Dodge 5.9 Cummins?

Rayvon

I think cabin fever/ bored got to me yesterday and I made a rushed decision on buying a new used truck,a 2012 Tundra Platinum 4x4 crew cab w/91Kms.I have had a 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 club cab for many years (159Kms)with the 5.9 Cummins that I had no plans to sell so I upgraded everything in the last couple of years.New trans,stainless 4" exhaust,batteries,heater core etc..Now that I've got 2 trucks I hate the idea of selling my old dependable Dodge that I know would last me till I'm too old to drive.I have to sell one or the other and would of course lose my tax $ on the new Toyota ,so I'm tempted to keep it.What do you Toyota owners think? I know I'll have no trouble selling the Dodge,I have 2 people a year average ask me if I'd sell it.
The Tundra is as new also,but buyers remorse has set in.

Man those two trucks are worlds apart. I guess you have to look at what your towing and hauling and how far. For myself there is no going back from a diesel. You can’t go to less power it’s almost impossible once your used to it and those old Fargo’s with the Cummins have got the juice that’s for sure.

Ya the Tundra has 380 horses ,so plenty of power to tow my 21 1/2 Ft. boat or 24 travel trailer.But of course the Tundra is costing me about 15K more than my Dodge is worth(I think).

Ray I have a 2500 2001 Dodge Cummins too with a 5 speed. I bought it in 2004 and it had 91,000k's on it...it now has 230,000 on it, it was an ICBC write off and a rebuild. I have replaced the batteries twice, tires once, brakes once, put on a nice canopy from Cap-it, fixed a bent pulley (that was missed from the accident) put on a 4 inch stainless exhaust, replaced universal joints, replaced the fuel filter drain **** and changed a slave cylinder for the clutch. All work except the rear brakes I did myself. It is almost a 20 year old truck but I have no plans to get rid of it. It tows my boat like its not even there. What I like about the Cummins is how consistent it is at start up. It fires up and runs like a Swiss Watch almost instantly. No crank crank crank..even in cold weather. If it doesn't fire right away you would know...something is not right. Guess you know my pick now.

If you resell Tundra within 7 days of purchase you can get a refund on tax paid.
Wow,that I did not Know.The only reason I considered getting rid of the Dodge is how noisy it is.It wakes my wife when I head off fishing and my neighbors stop in their tracks,cover their ears and give me dirty looks as I pass by,really.

Wow,that I did not Know.The only reason I considered getting rid of the Dodge is how noisy it is.It wakes my wife when I head off fishing and my neighbors stop in their tracks,cover their ears and give me dirty looks as I pass by,really.
That would way on my decision. There’s a loud diesel up the street from me that my neighbors have a complained about. I like them but that’s me. I’m glad I have a gas job now though as I’m up early for work or fun and don’t wake up the hood.
Have you towed the boat with the tundra yet?

I haven't even got it home yet but my son and his business partner both have them .My son tows his 19 Ft. boat and a 24 travel trailer and his partner tows a 2570 Pursuit no problem.They have tons of power w/the 5,7 motor (380 HP).I'm not worried about the Toyota's pulling power,just regret having to sell the Dodge Cummins (buyers remorse) but I'll get over it.The Cummins is as strong and dependable as people say.

Don’t feel guilty. They are just jealous that you’re going out fishing.

I got 328,000 km on my 2012 Cummins. Yours isn’t broken in yet. So you know what my vote is....

I have an 03 myself. In the winter there was people complaining in our neighborhood watch Facebook group about my truck warming up and "when it finally takes off it sounds like a plane taking off." o_O:D

Attachments

• 20200506_032531.jpg
    20200506_032531.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 67
Compare both....
Both hold a great value
Both are fairly maintenance free
Both are easy sellers

Biggest difference is one is bigger than the other....noiser too!

I have a 1999 Dodge 1 ton dually with the 5.9 that I am seriously considering selling to move to a newer and quieter gaser like the Toyota. I too am curious what you end up doing. I am selling off my Artic Fox camper and likely going back to a smaller boat so the diesel power won't be required in the near future.

Back