Fenwick HMX

I'd get a technium if it was available in a 9 or perhaps even a 9.5ft length but they only come in 10.5 and so does the clarus. I stopped by cabelas on the way home from a trip out to abbottsord today and went in to check out a few rods. Yes I agree the technium feels good and has a nice balance. However, 10.5ft seems just way too long for my preference. I checked out the 9ft HMX and set it side by side to a 9ft Abu Garcia diplomat rod. The HMX shaft diameter above the reel seats were about 50% smaller than the Abu Garcia. The HMX does feel good in the hands but it is so small and looks very fragile. Unless I can find something else under $150 for with a 9ft graphite blank I may give the HMX a try. But man the rod was small and so thin. I can see why it can more easily snap. If Fenwick made the blank a tad thicker or provided more reinforcement that could make the rod more durable. Lots of folks seem to like the rod but are unsure about the durability and reliability. Not a lot of options for me if I want a 9ft rod unless I go fiberglass but I already gave 5 of them. I would like something lighter with a more sensitive tip than a straight Fiberglass rod.

Last edited:
I'd get a technium if it was available in a 9 or perhaps even a 9.5ft length but they only come in 10.5 and so does the clarus. I stopped by cabelas on the way home from a trip out to abbottsord today and went in to check out a few rods. Yes I agree the technium feels good and has a nice balance. However, 10.5ft seems just way too long for my preference. I checked out the 9ft HMX and set it side by side to a 9ft Abu Garcia diplomat rod. The HMX shaft diameter above the reel seats were about 50% smaller than the Abu Garcia. The HMX does feel good in the hands but it is so small and looks very fragile. Unless I can find something else that is under $150 for with a 9ft graphite blank I may give the HMX a tyy. But man the rod was small and so thin.

Thats what I like about the HMX, they are nice light rods and have the strength. I quit fishing fence posts years ago, the lighter built, not noddle light but light with some decent spine strength and nice long rod to store the extra energy is what I prefer in a rod. Whether it be saltwater rod or a fresh water rod, I tend to try and keep all me gear on the lighter side of the spectrum.

I have a pair of the older hmx rods and liked the action. One snapped on a nice spring this year and I was told they won't warranty one that old likely. Anyway I picked up a pair of titan 4106 rods which are a step up in cost for sure. I keep my old hmx and an older technium and fish them all and really don't feel a ton of difference between the hmx and the more costly trophy rods.

I’ve been using 9ft ugly stiks for the last 5 years and love them. Everyone else who’s been on the boat and used them likes them too. Fish out of an 18ft hard top so the 9ft is that much easier to manage.

Not sure about the Fenwick warranty on these type of rods but I had a Fenwick Aetos fly rod break and Berry's replaced it without any discussion. Good service!

I have Fenwick, Shimano Convergence and Technium on my boat, in 10 years I haven’t broke a HMX but did break a Convergence below where the 2 pieces join on the thicker part, not sure why. All good in my opinion but I baby them when not in use, but I do break more graphite hockey sticks playing 3 days a week all winter...

I have Fenwick, Shimano Convergence and Technium on my boat, in 10 years I haven’t broke a HMX but did break a Convergence below where the 2 pieces join on the thicker part, not sure why. All good in my opinion but I baby them when not in use, but I do break more graphite hockey sticks playing 3 days a week all winter...
I had all three of those rods and broke every one of them. I switched over to Titans and I've never looked back. Way better action in the tip and nice and stiff low down for the tug. Worth the extra money.

You know, you're the second person here to mention 9' ugly stiks here recently.

What model are you using?
It’s just there 9ft down rigger rod. We bought 2 on sale for $70 each. Fishing is expensive enough, I’m happy with my $70 rod and shimano 4000gt I picked up used for $50 .

HMX Rods are absolute garbage, broke one just tripping it off the clip, Fenwick warranty is even worse, sent it back to them and no way would they replace it!!!
NEVER BUY ANY FENWICK AGAIN!!

HMX Rods are absolute garbage, broke one just tripping it off the clip, Fenwick warranty is even worse, sent it back to them and no way would they replace it!!!
NEVER BUY ANY FENWICK AGAIN!!

Was it a newer rod ?

My thoughts are very few companies are giving out replacements at no cost unless it’s clearly a defect in the construction of the rod. Best chances are you can get a in store exchange if it’s newer and the Covid disappears

I have 3 of the older brown HMX and they have been bulletproof. But I am cautious about not laying them down or letting them all rattle in a pile while driving the the boat about.

Ask my wife, I have broken a ton of rods over the years. Graphite rods can get a little nick or scratch and it’s game over the next time you load it up. I prefer a glass or composite rod for off the rigger they just seem to last longer.

Last edited:
Back