CCFR Supported Firearm Ownership Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t own a gun atm but I see this as as a mis-use of power and taxpayers money and something that will NOT solve the gun violence issue in this country.
This will also set a very dangerous precedence where the ownership rights of the law abiding citizens will be taken away by a minority government. The consultation process has been weakly managed and the application of the law leaves behind a lot of questions as to how people’s race is considered as a factor.

Today’s politicians do anything to stay in power and this is just another example of why the social divide has been getting deeper in this country.

Last edited:
Four-in-five Canadians support complete ban on civilian possession of assault style weapons

May 1, 2020 –

With the Trudeau government poised to ban some “assault style” weapons, it finds significant support for a change first promised by the Liberals in 2015.

The results of the latest public opinion survey from the non-profit Angus Reid Institute show an overwhelming majority – nearly four-in-five – support a complete prohibition on civilian possession of the types of weapons used in the Montreal Massacre in 1989, and most recently, the rampage of an assault weapon-carrying murderer who killed 22 people in Nova Scotia last month.

Significantly, two-thirds (65%) strongly support such a move, giving federal policy makers a clear mandate to go forward.

Endorsement for the change transcends political and regional divides, although a slight majority of Canada’s current gun owners oppose it (55%).

More...
http://angusreid.org/assault-weapons-ban/

Guns4.png

Looks like even conservatives are getting tired of this nonsense. Some may want to rethink their position on this if they want to stay relevant in their plotical views.

Guns5.png

Still trying to sort out my opinion on this one TBH. I don't like the way it was brought in but I can also see why it happened. I hunt and the three guns I own are still perfectly legal. My question for the sport shooters or anyone that owns these now banned guns is are there legal replacements for them? Can you essentially do the same sport with something that looks less assault-like? I do understand that portability, weight and durability are also factors. Will the gun manufacturers not just start producing guns that follow these new regs but have similar performance?

I 100% agree that none of this will do anything to deter gun violence.

Hey Nog,

I am presently not a gun owner, in fact never owned one, however have shot numerous types of weapons over the years. You know my background. I do not support this outright ban.

Perhaps you can tell us what it takes for the legal citizen to obtain, transport and shoot these guns. In my opinion the laws on the books already in relation to these guns is sufficient.

Criminals do not follow these rules, legal gun owners for the most part do.

The American experience, where we know gun violence is outrageous, is that weapons bans do reduce gun violence substantially.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/04/opinion/assault-weapon-ban.html
I still see lots of flaws in that. Magazine capacity being one. Canada has and always will have an outright ban on over 5 rounds compared to the US 10. But I also see that there's a "cool" factor to these guns. I compare it to the nerdy kid that goes and drops 5 grand on two full sleeves to portray a more bad boy image. Humans are pretty dumb. Sometimes growing a pair really can come from looking the part. I also REALLY don't understand why anyone is surprised by any of this. Since when has any government policy made sense?

I don’t own a gun atm but I see this as as a mis-use of power and taxpayers money and something that will NOT solve the gun violence issue in this country.
This will also set a very dangerous precedence where the ownership rights of the law abiding citizens will be taken away by a minority government. The consultation process has been weakly managed and the application of the law leaves behind a lot of questions as to how people’s race is considered as a factor.

Today’s politicians do anything to stay in power and this is just another example of why the social divide has been getting deeper in this country.

How Australia All But Ended Gun Violence

https://fortune.com/2018/02/20/australia-gun-control-success/

"So what happened after the assault-weapon ban? Well therein lies the other half of the story twist noted above:
Nothing.

Nothing, that is, in a good way.

Australian independence didn’t end. Tyranny didn’t come. Australians still hunted and explored and big-wave surfed to their hearts’ content. Their economy didn’t crash; Invaders never arrived. Violence, in many forms, went down across the country, not up. Somehow, lawmakers on either side of the gun debate managed to get along and legislate.

As for mass killings, there were no more. Not one in the past 22 years."

I still see lots of flaws in that. Magazine capacity being one. Canada has and always will have an outright ban on over 5 ...

There is a problem with the Canadian magazine capacity limit. It is so easy for anyone to circumvent it. Many U.S. states have no limits on magazine capacity. A readily available U.S. 30-round magazine becomes a legal device in Canada by having the importer place a rivet in the spine of the magazine that limits it to five rounds. The purchaser can remove the rivet, restoring the 30 round capacity, in about three seconds using a power drill. Buy it for about $30.
https://truenortharms.com/ar15_default_store_view/thermold-5-30-round-ar-15-5-56x45-magazine.html

You know better than to say this. ^^^
Check your history on the AR15 rifles!

Apples to oranges, but then again you probably knew that.

The original AR-15 has not been available for civilian use / ownership for decades.
Why? It was a selective fire (capability to run full automatic) with a large capacity magazine.
Both of which make it illegal in Canada (Prohibited Weapon Status).

The AR-15 itself never saw a single day in the hands of any troops. Ever.
It's cousin the M-16 certainly did, but again, apples and oranges.

The version that was until last Friday available in Canada is semi-automatic only, and magazines are restricted to five rounds.
These were developed intentionally for the sporting market - target shooting, competition, and yes, hunting.
There is a significant difference between a military M-16 and the sporter AR-15.
Ask any soldier which he would prefer to be carrying into battle.

Perhaps you can tell us what it takes for the legal citizen to obtain, transport and shoot these guns. In my opinion the laws on the books already in relation to these guns is sufficient.

Roger that.

Many of these now banned rifles were previously classed as a Restricted Weapon - the same classification as handguns in Canada.
In order to acquire one, you must pass a rigorous course to get your Restricted Possession & Acquisition License (RPAL).
Then, you are subjected to an intensive background check through the RCMP (CPIC).
That background check is repeated on your behalf DAILY for as long as you hold the RPAL. Yes. Daily.
The rifle (or handgun) in question must be Registered.
So, you apply for said registration to be transferred to you from the current owner / business.
Another background check.
If green-lighted, you are sent a Registration Certificate for said firearm.
Now you need an Authorization To Transport (ATT) the firearm from it's current location to your residence.
Another background check.
To be transported, the firearm must be trigger locked, and further secured in a locking hardshell gun case.
Once at home, the firearm must be secured in an adequate safe as described in related legislation.

Next up, you want to take it to the range.
Another ATT required. Another background check of course.
To the range and back must be in the straightest line possible (as it was previously to bring it home).
No deviations, no stopping to visit uncle Charlie, or grab a candy bar, or whatever.
Straight line, there, straight line back.
Once again, the firearm must be trigger locked, and further secured in a locking hardshell gun case.

VERY stringent. Any non-compliance and you will not only be charged, you will lose the privileged to own ANY firearms, including non-restricted.
The daily background checks are conducted to ensure there is nothing looming that would present cause for concern with you owning any of these firearms.
Reasonable? Yep. Detailed? Yep. Sufficient? Yep.
And something NO criminal is ever likely to embrace.

Again, this is simply NOT about gun or gang violence whatsoever.
It is simply a method for Trudeau to cater to his uneducated urban base, pandering to fears he himself created.
Virtue Signaling at it's finest.
For you see tackling the very real problems of illegal firearm acquisitions, illegal firearm use, mental health issues, and our overly leaky border would require actually coming up with a working plan, and acting decisively towards addressing those goals. Costly. A hell of a lengthy time span required, and not likely to collect the political points he wants in the immediate time-frame desired.

So, so go after the low-hanging fruit.
Target the most rigorously vetted members of society who have well indicated their extreme level of responsibility over the years.
Does it matter that not a single crime or criminal act will ever be effected by this move?
Hell No!
But hey, look, we did something... :rolleyes:

Nog

Last edited:
... A readily available U.S. 30-round magazine becomes a legal device in Canada by having the importer place a rivet in the spine of the magazine that limits it to five rounds. The purchaser can remove the rivet, restoring the 30 round capacity, in about three seconds using a power drill. Buy it for about $30.
https://truenortharms.com/ar15_default_store_view/thermold-5-30-round-ar-15-5-56x45-magazine.html

And since doing that makes you a Criminal in the eyes of the law, were it ever discovered, your firearm ownership days are over. Period. Full Stop.

Anyone who spent thousands to collect an accurate target / competition rifle ain't taking that chance.
Reality.

Nog

Four-in-five Canadians support complete ban on civilian possession of assault style weapons

As has been pointed out this ban on some rifles is unlikely to have any significant effect on crime, and is about politics, but that is the reality of policy making.

The politics of this are interesting. The liberals ran on a platform that promised this type of legislation, they are supported by the Block, NDP and Greens, so its hard to say its undemocratic when parties that garnered 67% of the vote are behind it and polling indicates it has broad popular support. Trudeau has again outmaneuvered Andrew Scheer badly. Only Scheer is coming out against this legislation, and by association is supporting the continued sale of the most infamous and hated weapon in the world, the AR-15. This is political stupidity, as it further niches the conservatives into their rural base of support. The support for this type of legislation in urban and suburban ridings is likely much higher than the graphs GLG posted. Those are the ridings the conservatives need to make inroads in to gain power. Andrew Scheer is not PM today mainly because his views on reproductive freedom and homosexuality were considered repugnant to the majority of Canadians, particularly in urban and suburban areas. He couldn't beat Trudeau after SNC Lavalin AND black face! Now he doubles down on behalf of the conservative party alienating voters in those areas further by being the champion of the sale of the AR-15! The conservatives need him to shut up until they can hopefully get someone more pragmatic and politically astute to speak for them ( how can Rona Ambrose not be running!) or we will be stuck with Trudeau forever!

How Australia All But Ended Gun Violence

https://fortune.com/2018/02/20/australia-gun-control-success/

"So what happened after the assault-weapon ban? Well therein lies the other half of the story twist noted above:
Nothing.

Nothing, that is, in a good way.

Australian independence didn’t end. Tyranny didn’t come. Australians still hunted and explored and big-wave surfed to their hearts’ content. Their economy didn’t crash; Invaders never arrived. Violence, in many forms, went down across the country, not up. Somehow, lawmakers on either side of the gun debate managed to get along and legislate.

As for mass killings, there were no more. Not one in the past 22 years."
GLG - we can only be hopeful that the experience of other countries replicate themselves in Canada. There are other variables involved in Canada, such as the longest unmilitarized border with our neighbors to the south which make this the apples and oranges. How this new law will fix the gun violence issue in Canada? Only time will tell, I guess.
Regardless , the process that the Libs followed on this case is undemocratic and leaves a lot of questions unanswered. I’m not going to get into a debate on a fishing forum but we need more than a study from another country to justify this.

We often hear how this action somehow represented the will and desires of the majority of Canadians.
Something Trudeau trots out at every single opportunity.
I guess he too is relying on biased online polls to determine this...

Oddly enough, the liberals spent a considerable amount of time and energy finding out what Canadians actually wanted
Only to realize it wasn’t inline with what they wanted to do.
They even went so far as to document that very fact: https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/pblctns/2019-rdcng-vlnt-crm-dlg/index-en.aspx
This is something they have now forcibly shoved under the rug, as they continue to point towards any online poll that agrees with their stance instead.

Quite shameful the way this was done.
A minority government, lying continuously to it's citizens, end-running democratic function, and forcing their own Agenda on the public via an Order In Council.
This is NOT the Canada our forefathers fought and died for any more.
And it has made me shameful of my own country as a consequence.

Nog

The conservatives need him to shut up until they can hopefully get someone more pragmatic and politically astute to speak for them ( how can Rona Ambrose not be running!) or we will be stuck with Trudeau forever!

Naw instead we have Jason Kenny endorsing Erin otoole. To solidify the reformist power and make sure the conservatives never win another election.

Some may not like this and deride the polls without evidence but it is what it is.

It's also not the only poll that shows this is what Canadians want and expect the current government to do. In fact it was a major plank for all the parties, except one, in the last election so to say undemocratic seems disingenuous at best. What I find remarkable is that's two polls that show even Conservatives want sticker gun control. Maybe Canadians have always wanted a separate identity from the U.S. They saw an Americanization of our gun politics developing, the U.S. mass shootings and our growing gun violence and decided this wasn't going to be us.

https://leger360.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Federal-Politics-April-26-2019-hot-topics.pdf

index.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back