What’s your top speed?

38kts, 26 kingfisher, 300 zuki.. 13 gph, wot 54oo rpm, loaded... unloaded I can get 40kts... 5500 rpm

my cruise though, 25 kts, 7.5 usgph----cheap!

That economy seems incredible!

Are you sure that you're burning "only" 13gph at WOT? Our 3.3L F250 shows approx 84lph at WOT (converts to 22gph)

That economy seems incredible!

Are you sure that you're burning "only" 13gph at WOT? Our 3.3L F250 shows approx 84lph at WOT (converts to 22gph)

on plane, no water resistance or load... it will bear down in the swell and come up to 18-20 sometimes.
my boat only weighs 5ooo lb

on plane, no water resistance or load... it will bear down in the swell and come up to 18-20 sometimes.
my boat only weighs 5ooo lb

Yeah, I understand that Kingfishers are pretty efficient boats. I'm not trying to argue; I'm just very curious. I'm surprised about the fuel burn of "only" 13 gph at wide-open throttle...that seems out of line for the amount of fuel required to generate the rated power.

This website lists gph for different horsepower ratings of Suzukis and other outboards. Looks like the Zuk DF250 is rated at 22.8gph at WOT which is comparable to my Yam F250 displaying approx 22.2gph at WOT. The Zuk DF300 is rated at 24.1gph at WOT.

I wonder if you're propped right? Are you hitting the rev limiter?

Yeah, I understand that Kingfishers are pretty efficient boats. I'm not trying to argue; I'm just very curious. I'm surprised about the fuel burn of "only" 13 gph at wide-open throttle...that seems out of line for the amount of fuel required to generate the rated power.

This website lists gph for different horsepower ratings of Suzukis and other outboards. Looks like the Zuk DF250 is rated at 22.8gph at WOT which is comparable to my Yam F250 displaying approx 22.2gph at WOT. The Zuk DF300 is rated at 24.1gph at WOT.

I wonder if you're propped right? Are you hitting the rev limiter?

not an argue for sure, can't see my gauges being calibrated wrong? they all digital. no I can't get above 5400 rpm without having to trim up two much to get at higher rpm without cavitation. 17p I believe

had a 19p first and could barely get 5200.

WOT is 5600?

Here's a few other stats from other boats I had

2000 Grady Gulfstream 300hp top speed 39-40mph

1996 24 Searay Laguna 300hp top speed 44-46mph

I love all this speed and HP so if you need a chuckle here's my fishing machine ,,,a real beast.

21ft Ranger Tug
30HP Volvo Penta 3 cylinder diesel
"FLAT OUT" speed, no wind and no current---Wait for it...............9.5 knots.
Fuel Burn---to and from my fishing grounds,,trolling for 4-6 hrs a day,,2-3 times per week--$40-$50 a month.
As you can imagine many of you pass me going to and from the fishing grounds. LOL
But I still love my little boat. Retired and nothing but time to enjoy my time on the water.
I saw a boat like this doing at least 30 knots earlier this afternoon, actually. Was just a little bit south of the Tim Hortons off the highway in Duncan, getting pulled by a grey Dodge pickup I believe.

Seriously...those are handsome boats, I do see the appeal. Do you find you spend a lot of time thinking about wind and current, though? Or is 9.5 enough that you don't really worry about it, and just accept that sometimes the trip to the trolling grounds is an hour, and sometimes it's three?

I'm just imagining Dodds Narrows or Porlier Pass, and getting stuck on the wrong side waiting for the tide to change. Or being offshore and being blown south at about the same speed as I'm heading back in. But does that ever come up for you?

I saw a boat like this doing at least 30 knots earlier this afternoon, actually. Was just a little bit south of the Tim Hortons off the highway in Duncan, getting pulled by a grey Dodge pickup I believe.

Seriously...those are handsome boats, I do see the appeal. Do you find you spend a lot of time thinking about wind and current, though? Or is 9.5 enough that you don't really worry about it, and just accept that sometimes the trip to the trolling grounds is an hour, and sometimes it's three?

I'm just imagining Dodds Narrows or Porlier Pass, and getting stuck on the wrong side waiting for the tide to change. Or being offshore and being blown south at about the same speed as I'm heading back in. But does that ever come up for you?

That's Funny. I've had mine doing 60-70 Knots at times going to and from the ramps. Being from the East coast it was the looks of it that first caught my eye. Growing up, a lot of the smaller inshore longliners looked like that.

For 80% of my usage, the 9.5knots is fine. I live in Langford on Vancouver Island and trailer my boat to one of 3 launches. When I'm fishing for salmon I'm 5 mins to 15 mins from where I would start to troll so speed is not a factor to get there. If I halibut fish I go out of Pedder bay and it's 30 mins from the dock to the area where I normally anchor, 40mins out has been the longest run so I would love more speed for those trips. I have to be very conscious about the weather so I pick my days when I go halibut fishing.

Going against a strong current will definitely slow me down but as I mentioned, I have nothing but time and in the 6 years that I've owned it I have never once considered getting something else. In my area going through Race Passage is one of the locations where I would want to time my trip. I can do 13-14 knots or I can do 3-4 knots.

It was not designed as a fishing boat, more for a little day cruiser but my wife didn't take to being on the water as I had hoped so it's now my fishing boat. If as you mentioned, my trips to the grounds were 2-3hrs, then for sure this would not be the boat you would want, but for now it keeps me happy to be able to get on the water mostly whenever I want and keeps fish in our fridge all year around.

Now back to you guys that blow by me all the time..

Thanks for the detailed response. To me it really seems like if you have the time, and you don't have to cover a ton of ground to get to the tuna or something...this would just be such a relaxing way to be on the water.

I have occasionally looked at small tugboats and thought "man...look at that casting deck".

Anyway I'm sure it's not for everyone but it's a cool and different way to do it.

Custom 28’ commercial grade pilothouse tinner. Average loaded weight 10,500 lbs. Twin Suzuki DF200’s, wot 6000 rpms at 44 mph. Economy at cruise speeds stays pretty flat between 20-35mph, so my cruise speed varies depending on conditions. My economy averages 1.8mpg at cruise speeds.

Custom 28’ commercial grade pilothouse tinner. Average loaded weight 10,500 lbs. Twin Suzuki DF200’s, wot 6000 rpms at 44 mph. Economy at cruise speeds stays pretty flat between 20-35mph, so my cruise speed varies depending on conditions. My economy averages 1.8mpg at cruise speeds.

Got some pics of the rig? This sound like exactly what I want to get in to.

Back