All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been following the conversation so I am not sure what death rate you're using but the one I hear getting thrown around in the media is often around three percent and that is wildly inflated, probably by a factor of around ten.

John Ionnadis' study from Stanford puts it around 0.12% although the Stanford research team acknowledge their sample wasn't random as it was recruited from volunteers who answered Facebook ads. And the specificity of the test, who knows.

But lots of research puts it around 0.5% or less.

Stanford study:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.14.20062463v2

Random middle of the road analysis of the diamond princess numbers compared to the Chinese numbers, using age-adjusted regression analysis.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.14.20062463v2

Since I haven't been following the discussion, I don't know whose side I'm taking here but lots of people genuinely think the mortality rate is like three percent or more and it's definitely not. The number of infections is wildly underreported, not because of a conspiracy, but because there just isn't widespread serological testing being done and most infections are so minor, people don't even think to check into it, let alone try to get a coronavirus test.
"But lots of research puts it around 0.5% or less."
Thanks for looking into this. I have been using 1% but I know that it may not be accurate.
Between the looking at these two reports I'm starting to think that 0.5% might be true average for here in Canada. BC of course would be half that because we're better.:rolleyes:
Just thinking that it would be even lower as we need to correct for age as at some point we run out of people that are over 60. It won't come to that right fellas!

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/covid-1...-than-we-think-montreal-researchers-1.4920269

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/p...rus-infection/surv-covid19-epi-update-eng.pdf

Last edited:
Dashboard%20-0501.PNG

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/a6f23959a8b14bfa989e3cda29297ded

Daily Surveillance report
http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/Documents/BC_Surveillance_Summary_May_1_2020_final.pdf

Look at the hospitalization rate and ICU rate in BC. Absolutely great. That’s what many say
To look at to tell joe a jurisdiction is doing. As even without testing the very sick still need to go to hospital

Starvation is a direct result of the "haves" not looking after the have nots. A COA like GLG states above would be nice. Agree all the words you state. Not sure about health experts, recently I have lost faith in many health experts, I think hypothesis may be a better word for most. This will most certainly not be end of mankind, it may be the start of many more becoming "poor" in Canada and starving in the world.

Confident I will be safe from Covid, male, youngish(?) and healthy, stats, data and those scientists state I am lowest risk and will recover when I contract it.

HM

HM I’m with you in many of your points here.
but it’s not cool to say that you’re young and healthy and aren’t going to die from it so who cares?... the problem is if you get it because of throwing caution to the wind, it will get passed along more to other like minded people, then it’s gong to get to the elderly at some point and they will get more sick than you and die.
Respect your elders.

HM I’m with you in many of your points here.
but it’s not cool to say that you’re young and healthy and aren’t going to die from it so who cares?... the problem is if you get it because of throwing caution to the wind, it will get passed along more to other like minded people, then it’s gong to get to the elderly at some point and they will get more sick than you and die.
Respect your elders.
Where did I say I don't care??? That's your added interpretation. NOT what I said. When did I say throw caution to the wind?? Again YOUR interpretation and NOT what was said. Again respect my elders, you got that I don't from a few lines on a forum=SHAME ON YOU, for that conclusion.

To save Canada's economic future or even buffer, protect it better, I think a better way ahead should/could be social distancing and self isolating made mandatory based on age, health and chances of contact. Masks/face bandanas and PPE are still not mandatory in public with a disease the whole "scientific community keeps telling us is so bad" ?? That certainly confuses me. While serving in CAF we practiced this sort of thing and worse many, many times, PPE protection was the utmost important life saving thing we had. To demonstrate go into the gas hut without. Why are few using in public?

At some point the pain from Trudopes giving away Canadas wealth will out weight the pain from Covid. Wait for the bitching next year when we get the new Covid TAX.

HM

4th Canadian Ranger Patrol Group (4 CRPG) is responsible for Canada’s four western provinces and reports to the 3rd Canadian Division (3 Cdn Div).

It provides patrols for national-security and public-safety missions in sparsely populated, coastal and isolated areas of Western Canada that cannot be conveniently or economically covered by other parts of the Canadian Armed Forces.

Canadian Rangers of 4 CRPG have been instrumental in the past in helping the RCMP and local enforcement officials by

• patrolling the West Coast and waters of Canada;
  • watching for illegal immigrants in Canada's waters;
  • conducting many search and rescue (SAR) operations;
  • assisting in community evacuations; and
  • providing support to 3rd Canadian Division Operation LENTUS events.

I have worked with the Canadian Rangers many, many, many times over last 33 years, I have never experienced anything but the utmost professionalism with each and every one and every time. A great group of gals and guys with usually same ideas, thoughts and ethics as I, great to go on a mission, exercise or just be around.

PPE for "normal" persons could consist of a face bandana washed daily and or after each trip out. I don't think we need med grade PPE for public spaces to do our part stopping spread. But I am no pro, just a realist.

HM

I don't know if this should be in this thread or the COVID Chuckle thread. @Admin Please feel free to move it. :p:p:p

The guy is a f**king lunatic.

WHITE HOUSE GIFT SHOP CORONAVIRUS COLLECTOR'S ITEM ...Commemorative Coins?!?

https://www.tmz.com/2020/04/29/whit...ClT6UVbe-hVfRaD9AA_hwY6LuyijNNfC0WMJmcYkhkKXQ
the White House Gift Shop is a privately run online store with no direct connection to the White House or the Trump administration.

Its own website says it "operates independently of the US government".

Joe's Salmon Lodge
1 hr ·

The 2020 season has been officially postponed until 2021. This will be the first season in 33 years Doug will not be in Hakai Pass fishing and hosting all the great guests of Joe's.

The governments on both sides of the border have placed restrictions on social distancing that just make it impossible to be able to fish. You wouldn't even be able to fish two in a boat, let alone fly to Bella Bella as a group, also the water taxi would not be able to handle us also. When we are at the lodge, another obstacle we could never overcome. With the new rules, ALL guests who are not residents of BC would have to self quarantine for 14 days!!! The Canadian Government just imposed that they will not be offering non resident licences.

Everyone's health and safety is our top priority at Joe's and even so more now.

All the customers that have put a deposit down or if you have paid your trip in full, please contact Doug at 604-819-8853 or by email doug@joessalmonlodge.com over the next few month or so to co-ordinate your date for the 2021 season.

For those that have paid in full, Joe's will be giving you interest on your money, plus an additional date of your choice for 2022.
If you had a date reserved for 2020 but we did not receive your deposit. You do NOT have a date reserved for 2021. You will have to contact Doug to solidify a new date for 2021.

We are going to miss you as much as you are going to miss fishing.
Knowing everyone understands as we all stand together on conquering this pandemic situation that is disrupting everyone's life.
See everyone in 2021.
Tight lines to all.

Joe's Salmon Lodge
1 hr ·

The 2020 season has been officially postponed until 2021. This will be the first season in 33 years Doug will not be in Hakai Pass fishing and hosting all the great guests of Joe's.

The governments on both sides of the border have placed restrictions on social distancing that just make it impossible to be able to fish. You wouldn't even be able to fish two in a boat, let alone fly to Bella Bella as a group, also the water taxi would not be able to handle us also. When we are at the lodge, another obstacle we could never overcome. With the new rules, ALL guests who are not residents of BC would have to self quarantine for 14 days!!! The Canadian Government just imposed that they will not be offering non resident licences.

Everyone's health and safety is our top priority at Joe's and even so more now.

All the customers that have put a deposit down or if you have paid your trip in full, please contact Doug at 604-819-8853 or by email doug@joessalmonlodge.com over the next few month or so to co-ordinate your date for the 2021 season.

For those that have paid in full, Joe's will be giving you interest on your money, plus an additional date of your choice for 2022.
If you had a date reserved for 2020 but we did not receive your deposit. You do NOT have a date reserved for 2021. You will have to contact Doug to solidify a new date for 2021.

We are going to miss you as much as you are going to miss fishing.
Knowing everyone understands as we all stand together on conquering this pandemic situation that is disrupting everyone's life.
See everyone in 2021.
Tight lines to all.

Yikes, ya seems like now the first lodge has cancelled 2020 others will follow...

Province needs to change there orders for anything to really happen.

Fish local and fish with only people in your house holds are hard to overcome at the moment.

I think it’s debatable if thrasher rock is “local” to people in Vancouver

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back