What’s your top speed?

Holy lots of replies. Thanks guys. Makes me wonder if so should try a different prop for top end
I always thought 300hp should do more than low 40mph in a 20 ft boat

I run a mirage plus for good cruise. What’s a good go fast prop?
My friend who owns RPM let me try out several different props before I settled on the ones I run now but I can’t remember what they are exactly

Myers why don’t you chim in and blow everyone away. Triple 3oo’s on a Reggie fountain stepped hull!!!
If we leave the harbour at the same time, he'll have 3 or 4 fish in the boat by the time I get there.
At the fuel dock, my boat is quicker.
17' Whaler with Merc 50hp tiller. I hit 31 mph between the harbour mouth and the slow down sign once. Tide was coming in. Usually cruise at 18- 20 if the swell is under 1.5m and 23 inside Barkley or Clayoquot. No tach, so I rely on nerve endings in my ears, back, and kidneys to judge speed.

I love all this speed and HP so if you need a chuckle here's my fishing machine ,,,a real beast.

21ft Ranger Tug
30HP Volvo Penta 3 cylinder diesel
"FLAT OUT" speed, no wind and no current---Wait for it...............9.5 knots.
Fuel Burn---to and from my fishing grounds,,trolling for 4-6 hrs a day,,2-3 times per week--$40-$50 a month.
As you can imagine many of you pass me going to and from the fishing grounds. LOL
But I still love my little boat. Retired and nothing but time to enjoy my time on the water.
I don't have the time to enjoy that properly just now but in retirement I can hardly think of anything better.

Podded 25' JaxonCraft twin 150 Yamahas Top Speed is 45MPH at 5700RPM if memory serves me right. Cruise is about 26MPH at 3500RPM
15' SilverStreak with a 25Hp Yamaha tiller. It runs flat out at 27MPH which seems plenty fast with the wind in your face...lol
Both boats are running the standard props that came with the motors. I may play with the set up on the twins but not unhappy with how it ran last summer so who knows...

Last edited:
Podded 25' JaxonCraft twin 150 Yamahas Top Speed is 45MPH at 5700RPM if memory serves me right. Cruise is about 26MPH at 3500RPM
15' SilverStreak with a 25Hp Yamaha tiller. It runs flat out at 27MPH which seems plenty fast with the wind in your face...lol
Both boats are running the standard props that came with the motors. I may play with the set up with the twins but not unhappy with how it ran last summer so who knows...
Dam you have 2 of my want/dream boats. Spent an hour the other week oogling over a parked 28'+ monster Jackson craft. Dam nice but above my needs, wants and must haves. Your lucky.

HM

That right there pretty much settles my internal 300hp vs 350hp outboard debate...now to go find the $50k haha

Agree, think I might need a Suzuki 350 duo or twin 200's as I have a command bridge :) lol

Agree, think I might need a Suzuki 350 duo or twin 200's as I have a command bridge :) lol

These hulls are super efficient, even without tabs I can plane at 2,200 rpms or so, the bow never raises much at all. The 12:1 compression on the Suzuki 350 DP freaks me out, seems like its a bit too much on the ragged edge. The 300HP DP V6 sounds great but then look at the Merc 300HP Verado, it is a V8 all motor and I think having those 2 extra cylinders could trump the duo props.

How about a FrankenMerc with a 300HP Verado V8 up top and a Suzuki DP drive down below? Yeehaw!

Back