Suzuki 140 bad fuel

morganic

Hey guys. My buddy and I have kept our boats on the island the past few years.
However he has an older Islander with a Suzuki 140 four stroke. Last summer we thought we'd get her going so we could fish out of Vancouver. It had been in storage a few years. Stabilizer in the tank. Replaced the fuel water separator and gas was looking good from the tank. Tried to get running and it just wouldn't fire up.
A quick talk with the mechanic at Marina and he figured their was bad fuel in the lines to the engine. Also said all lines need to be replaced and quoted a cost of approx
2000$. I'm sure someone on here has had a similar circumstance and I know alot of people on here are much smarter than me.
Hoping to get people's opinion and thoughts before I track down someone to repair

Fuel stabilizers only keep fuel fresh for a couple of years. Gasoline is somewhat unstable and over time it breaks down into various heavier products that can be almost varnish like. Once this breakdown begins, there is no additive product that can “restore” it back to usable form. As mentioned, you can delay this breakdown by using a stabilizer when the gas is fresh but you can’t restore it once it has started to break down.

Using a day tank filled with fresh fuel, I would flush all stale fuel from the fuel system and dispose of it properly. Then replace all fuel filters. Once that is done, try starting again.

I am not clear on why the fuel lines would be damaged so perhaps get other opinions and estimates before going to the expense of replacing those.

You will then have to hire someone to flush out your main fuel tank before adding fresh fuel to it.

I have same motor, mine has Johnson on cowling but its an 08 Suzuki 140 4 stroke on an 18.6 Double Eagle.

I have never experienced the bad gas problem. Are you sure its the gas and not water in the gas? I have had water in gas issue, after sitting for winter, never seen any in racor but was in engine filter. Happened first trip in spring alarm goes off, shut motor down, then would not run. I had water, condensation in gas, also kept an eye on racor but seams easy to miss the small amount of water it takes to put engine in alarm. I never spent $2000 to fix, think about $250 if I remember. Needed a new racor, did replace filter on engine also, then investigated water intrusion. Ended up being filler hose, no loop, after changed that out no water issue.

Before I spent any $$$ on mechanic I would pull fuel line of motor, change out new water filter on engine then attach a new line on a new tank of gas, use a portable 5 gl tank. Pump new gas thru engine and try and start motor.

Hope it works.

HM

Run on a day tank with 94 and injector cleaner to confirm it is your issue. I replaced my fuel line from bow tank to racor in an hour and less than $100 in parts. Even if it’s in the floor I can’t see how it should cost you $2000. Make sure you buy marine grade fuel hose and 2 clamps per barb no reason to pay someone else to do this job imo... I’m betting only the hose from the tank to your fuel water separator needs replacing. Top the tank up with 94 and don’t work it too hard until you’ve burnt through the old gas..

If your fuel (the one you stabilised) evaporated over the period it sat, there is the likelihood that the actual fuel stabiliser did not. Now it will be a sticky goo in your fuel filters, fuel pump and perhaps in your lines. You need to replace any fuel filters and lines, and run a non ethanal fuel in the engine on a day tank as Brando suggests. If you can get the engine started. If not you may need to take any fuel pumps apart for cleaning ( I don't know what that might involve on your Suki) In addition, empty your fuel tank(s) and put a few litres to act as a solvent and hopefully dissolve the residue left in the tank. You may need to do this more then once. Use a clear gasoline so that you can see if the gas changes colour when it hopefully dissolves the residue.

Thanks for the tips and replies. I'll try a few of these suggestions and see if I can't get her running with a fresh fuel supply. Mo

Weird stuff happens when fuel sits too long. Especially if the fuel had ethanol in it. Hard to believe the fuel lines would go bad though. If it does need new lines it shouldn’t be that expensive. Hook the motor up to a portable tank with good fuel. Confirm that the primer bulb is moving fuel.

The vst sits behind the intake runners. There’s a small clear drain tube coming from the bottom of the vst. Open the drain and let the vst drain. Pump your primer bulb and fill it up again. Maybe drain it a second time. Drain the fuel into something and see what it looks like as how it smells. There’s also a low pressure fuel filter attached to the intake rail. It just clips on. Usually they are light blue or white. Take it off and see if it is gummed up. Could pull the outlet side and run a hose from it to a jar. See if fuel goes through it when you pump the primer bulb. Probably a good idea to replace the high pressure and low pressure fuel filters. The high pressure filter is black metal canister.

If you get it running make sure you change the oil and oil filter and clean or replace all anodes.

Back