All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping that a SG would work out the claim that the "models are all wrong" and post his results but to no avail, perhaps he is busy. :rolleyes: Any way, he is correct all models are wrong but that doesn't mean that they are not useful and can be close enough to plan and prepare. Case in point... The feds model for Covid 19 on April 9 seems to be close for cases but out for deaths. Close enough that the next model will adjust and can be used to plan and prepare for the future. Might be helpful that we can use these tools to predict what will happen, with some confidence, when we start opening things up.

index.php

Man.....this is a hospital I just won a huge deal with earlier this year; which obviously has been put on hold.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...veOMExkuwQUtpwYY5gJGHnoUltHQCTWol_pmtqroZqrTY
"Won" - like a contract, perhaps?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
No idea as to the reliability of this person - but raises some interesting questions:
Nobel Prize-Winning Scientist Who Discovered HIV Says Coronavirus Was Created In Laboratory
https://www.dr-rath-foundation.org/...v-says-coronavirus-was-created-in-laboratory/

/

Yes. Had a contingent from there down in Baltimore just before things really ramped up in late February doing a site walk of a large full hospital implementation we have there; easier then flying them out to BC.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
No idea as to the reliability of this person - but raises some interesting questions:
Nobel Prize-Winning Scientist Who Discovered HIV Says Coronavirus Was Created In Laboratory
https://www.dr-rath-foundation.org/...v-says-coronavirus-was-created-in-laboratory/
Nonsense. Every credible scientist that sequences these genes keep telling us that this is complete utter bull ****. After all they have sequenced a whole raft of coronavirus and can match them up with sequences that are listed in GenBank.

May I suggest that if you don't have an idea as to the reliability of this person then check them out or don't post. Don't add to the cray cray as we have enough and it just encourages them.

Added May 2, 2020
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/02/b...ries-claim-new-coronavirus-was-bioengineered/

Last edited:
Nonsense. Every credible scientist that sequences these genes keep telling us that this is complete utter bull ****. After all they have sequenced a whole raft of coronavirus and can match them up with sequences that are listed in GenBank.

May I suggest that if you don't have an idea as to the reliability of this person then check them out or don't post. Don't add to the cray cray as we have enough and it just encourages them.
Maybe, GLG. I think the thing I noticed was a link to a peer-review article in the article: https://web.archive.org/web/2020020....org/content/10.1101/2020.01.30.927871v1.full

I not convinced either way @ this point - but I'm not sure it is necessarily nonsense yet neither.

These are the meat plants in Canada affected by the coronavirus outbreak

COVID-19 infections are now disrupting parts of Canada's food sector, including the meat processing industry.

Meat-packing plants in Alberta that are responsible for a substantial portion of Canada’s beef are shut or running reduced lines as they grapple with outbreaks among staff.

CARGILL INC.
Cargill Inc. -- one of Alberta's largest meat processing plants -- shut down its plant in High River on April 20 after a 68-year-old woman who worked at the plant died from COVID-19.

As of Tuesday, there are now 759 cases of COVID-19 confirmed among workers at the Cargill plant. It's the largest outbreak linked to a single site in Canada.

The temporary closure of the facility isn't expected to result in beef shortages, but the reduction in capacity will mean that ranchers will bear the brunt. As prices for their product fall, ranchers will have to choose between an increase in transportation costs for sending their cattle further for processing, or an increase in overhead because they’re keeping the animals for longer.

The Cargill plant processes about 4,500 head of cattle per day -- more than one-third of Canada's beef-processing capacity.

JBS CANADA
The JBS meat-packing plant in Brooks, Alta. has recorded 124 cases as of COVID-19 and one death as of Monday. The plant has reduced operations but remains open.

A petition has been launched calling for a temporary two-week shutdown of the facility to limit the spread of the virus, and for an inspection to ensure public health measures are being upheld.

JBS and Cargill make up 70 per cent of Canada's beef processing, according to the Canadian Cattlemen’s Association(CCA).

CCA Executive Vice President Dennis Laycraft told CTVNews.ca that the closure of these two plants has already created a backlog of market-ready animals.

"Cargill is one of our largest plants and combined with what's happening in JBS, that's basically pushing prices down as cattle are delayed to be sold. And we've seen prices since the plant closed dropped by about $500 an animal," Laycraft said in a telephone interview on Wednesday.

To cope with the backlog, Laycraft said producers are keeping cattle on feed for longer to slow their growth.

CONESTOGA MEATS
Pork processing plant Conestoga Meats in the Waterloo, Ont. region halted operations April 24 after seven of its employees tested positive for COVID-19. The plant will not be processing hogs for at least 7 days, resulting in limited staffing and operations. The company typically processes between 35,000 to 40,000 hogs a week

The company said in a statement that it is working closely with health officials to ensure prevention, testing, and cleaning protocols are being followed. The Ontario Ministry of Labour is investigating two complaints filed April 22 about a lack of physical distancing procedures at the plant is ongoing.

LILYDALE
The union representing employees at the Lilydale plant in Calgary is calling for the factory’s closure after an employee tested positive for COVID-19.

The employee last worked at the plant on April 15 and is self-isolating at home. Sofina Foods, which owns the plant, says it remains fully operational and has taken a number of steps to protect its workers. However, the United Food and Commercial Workers Canada Union says physical distancing measures at the plant are not being followed and are asking it be closed until proper health protocols are in place.

UNITED POULTRY CO.
The United Poultry Co. Ltd. plant in Vancouver temporarily closed on April 20 after 28 workers at the plant tested positive for COVID-19. The outbreak prompted a statement from B.C. Premier John Horgan who said that sick employees must stay home after learning that workers stayed on the job for fear of losing wages.

Vancouver Coastal Health and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency are investigating the outbreak. The health authority said in a news release that the CFIA determined that a recall of chicken products from the plant is not required.

Two cases of COVID-19 were also confirmed at United Poultry Co.’s sister plant Superior Poultry on April 23. An investigation at the plant is underway.

OLYMEL
Quebec's Olymel slaughterhouse closed on March 29 after nine cases of COVID-19 were detected among its workforce. More than 100 workers at the facility were later found to have been infected.

The plant has since reopened following an increase in disinfection measures and screening activities issued by the region's health authorities. The plant’s entire workforce was in self-isolation during the closure and only those who have exhibited no symptoms have returned to work.

MAPLE LEAF FOODS
Major poultry plant Maple Leaf Foods located in Brampton, Ont. suspended operations on April 8 after three people working at the facility tested positive for COVID-19.

The plant has since reopened following a deep cleaning of the plant, including common areas and offices.

An additional COVID-19 case was also confirmed earlier this month at Maple Leaf Foods Heritage plant in Hamilton, Ont. However, the company says the plant remained open as the worker had not been at the plant for two weeks before the diagnosis.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/coronavirus/2020/4/29/1_4916957.amp.html

It is preprint GLG - but that onto itself does not invalidate the study. Yes - use caution I agree. If is doesn't get approved/accepted - I will disregard it. Quite a bit of stuff is preprint now. That was well described in that great article you shared (post # 2079) by the Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/pandemic-confusing-uncertainty/610819/
Trust me I have gone down that rabbit hole. It's too much work to go find all the links but I used the tools that the article alluded to. I went to trusted sources on twitter and read what they had to say. I then went to some of the trusted sources for science on the web a read what they have to say. I'll just give you one link as that should be easy.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...wn-viruses-from-sars-to-the-new-coronavirus1/

Last edited:
Trust me I have gone down that rabbit hole. It's too much work to go find all the links but I used the tools that the article alluded to. I went to trusted sources on twitter and read what they had to say. I then went to some of the trusted sources for science on the web a read what they have to say. I'll just give you one link as that should be easy.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...wn-viruses-from-sars-to-the-new-coronavirus1/
Thanks for posting this. Seems that peoples fear of bats is for good reason. Until recently I had just thought it was rabies that they carried. Some health care workers I know thought they should have named Covid 19 Bat Lung instead.

Good interview with former U.S. ambassador to the UN Samantha Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back