What’s your top speed?

I love all this speed and HP so if you need a chuckle here's my fishing machine ,,,a real beast.

21ft Ranger Tug
30HP Volvo Penta 3 cylinder diesel
"FLAT OUT" speed, no wind and no current---Wait for it...............9.5 knots.
Fuel Burn---to and from my fishing grounds,,trolling for 4-6 hrs a day,,2-3 times per week--$40-$50 a month.
As you can imagine many of you pass me going to and from the fishing grounds. LOL
But I still love my little boat. Retired and nothing but time to enjoy my time on the water.
hows the noise and vibrations at troll? there is certainly something to be said for displacement speeds and fuel burns.... Straight shaft as well?

donzi F23 walkaround, 9'4 beam 41mph at 6300 salt water and 44mph fresh 300 verado

hows the noise and vibrations at troll? there is certainly something to be said for displacement speeds and fuel burns.... Straight shaft as well?
Straight shaft yes. Noise is certainly higher than outboard, especially being diesel. The highest vibration is also at troll speed which is basically just in gear. Replaced the motor mounts at around 1500hrs as they wear starting to crack most likely due to the higher vibration at troll speeds. Over 2100hrs now so will be watching closely for more fatigue in them. Sorry for the derail guys..

39 MPH in my Commander 30, twin 41 Volvo diesels @4000RPM with C-5's
Hit 61MPH in my 17 Double Eagle lake boat once, scary. 5.7GXI Volvo @ 5000RPM, 290 DP C-7"s 1.68:1 gear ratio.
20 Sea Ox 20C with a Volvo 4.3 GXI, DPSM drive, D-7 props @4800 RPM 38MPH (with full fuel 300L)
Just realized I better start selling some boats. lol

Long story...
Wellcraft WA 22, sterndrive, Volvo Penta F6, 4600 dry weight, Quicksilver replacement Volvo longblock 5.7 for the original 5.0 TBI, rollerized valvetrain, Edelbrock Performer Intake, reprogrammed chip for displacement change, so far top speed 49.8 mph with the curtains down and a half tank of fuel, and troll at 2.7 mph which is far more important lol!
No fuel burn info, but I can tell you it burns fuel the louder it goes.

Hit 61MPH in my 17 Double Eagle lake boat once, scary. 5.7GXI Volvo @ 5000RPM, 290 DP C-7"s 1.68:1 gear ratio.
20 Sea Ox 20C with a Volvo 4.3 GXI, DPSM drive, D-7 props @4800 RPM 38MPH (with full fuel 300L)
You've taken that thing to 4k?! Man I wouldn't touch past 3800 RPM. What year is yours? Mines a 92 so I always feel like something might turn to dust if I treat it poorly.

My first boat the 2007 Maxum had a fuel infected 4.3 Merc and from factory it came with a 21 pitch prop for some reason. I kid you not we had that thing going 60MPH on the river going up to stave. And yes that's up. I'm pretty sure the hull wasn't even designed for those speeds. Neither is the river.

You've taken that thing to 4k?! Man I wouldn't touch past 3800 RPM. What year is yours? Mines a 92 so I always feel like something might turn to dust if I treat it poorly.
1999, WOT under load is supposed to be 3900. I cruise at 3050-3100 @ 25MPH depending on tide. Took me some time but finally got my wife and kids dialed in to not packing a bunch of ****. Just the important stuff like beer, fishing gear and Mr.Noodles. lol.

That's an awesome picture. Love that stuff
That’s a circle boat, motor in backwards vs a drag boat so on straight stretches the prop torque was to the same side as the driver and the boat would torque up. You can see me using body english to help control the landing when I launched off a roller.

Nope. Nice collection. Perfect in my eyes

Holy lots of replies. Thanks guys. Makes me wonder if so should try a different prop for top end
I always thought 300hp should do more than low 40mph in a 20 ft boat

I run a mirage plus for good cruise. What’s a good go fast prop?

26’ Commander twin 200 Suzuki’s . Cruise at 30 mph at 4400rpm. Top speed of 43 at 6100rpm.
17’ Kellahan Center console with 115 Yamaha . Tops out just over 40 I think.

I love all this speed and HP so if you need a chuckle here's my fishing machine ,,,a real beast.

21ft Ranger Tug
30HP Volvo Penta 3 cylinder diesel
"FLAT OUT" speed, no wind and no current---Wait for it...............9.5 knots.
Fuel Burn---to and from my fishing grounds,,trolling for 4-6 hrs a day,,2-3 times per week--$40-$50 a month.
As you can imagine many of you pass me going to and from the fishing grounds. LOL
But I still love my little boat. Retired and nothing but time to enjoy my time on the water.
If you love your boat then you’re a lucky man

Back