All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how BC is 'close to re-opening' according to our own Bonnie Henry. FWIW I have no issue with the job she has done, as I understand that there are many people advising and making decisions. But - did the virus disappear? Whats the basis of this new found confidence and about face? People in BC will eat it up and feel great about how we beat the deadly Covid into submission. Or maybe - BC finally looked at the nearly 4 months of data and have determined that there is almost zero risk to a huge portion of our population. Co-incidentally - the portion of the population who is most likely to be working. Quick - go dig up the 35 cases of young and healthy people who have succumbed to the virus globally out of the 20 million presumed cases to show how scared we should be....or spend 1 minutes doing basic math to determine the risk is basically nil. Time to get the kids back in school and people back to reality. We can't hide in our houses for 18 months. I take more risk going 20 miles offshore for feeder springs on WCVI, for FEEDERS! Let people determine the level of exposure/risk they want to have. If you're over 50 wear a tight fitting mask and gloves when you go out......or don't. Decide for yourself. If you're morbidly obese, diabetic, heart disease you should shelter in place because literally any type of sudden movements will probably kill you, oh and the virus too. While you're hiding maybe pick up a vegtable instead of that loaf of garlic bread.
WTF ?

Band Councils can restrict access to their federal Crown Reserves and also deal w housing, health and other issues on reserve. The hereditary system is supposed to speak about land ownership issues and resource development. Health issues for non-FNs not on reserve land is a new one. I doubt that if it were tested - it would hold-up in court. "Information" pickets, however - legal. No enforcement needed if compliance is "voluntary".

fear "momgering" is attempting to relegate somebody else's life to the altar of the stock market, IMHO. We are ALL affected by this - young and old. Thank goodness there are a few checks and balances in some of the Health laws to head off the destructive, ignorant, selfish people out there. Can't fix stupid, apparently - but you can put it in it's place. When that doesn't happen - you get dictatorships & totalitarian governments. That ALWAYS ends badly - often with millions killed. Our veterans died in WWII so we wouldn't have to be subjected to dictatorships & totalitarian governments. They gave us a chance to maintain responsible governance. And that's what the World needs right now.

fear "momgering" is attempting to relegate somebody else's life to the altar of the stock market, IMHO. We are ALL affected by this - young and old. Thank goodness there are a few checks and balances in some of the Health laws to head off the destructive, ignorant, selfish people out there. Can't fix stupid, apparently - but you can put it in it's place. When that doesn't happen - you get dictatorships & totalitarian governments. That ALWAYS ends badly - often with millions killed. Our veterans died in WWII so we wouldn't have to be subjected to dictatorships & totalitarian governments. They gave us a chance to maintain responsible governance. And that's what the World needs right now.
Agree as well those veterans gave us the responsibility to ensure responsible governance is maintained, emphasis on responsible. Governance that’s challenged when needed to be and reminded it is there to serve the people, not itself.

Band Councils can restrict access to their federal Crown Reserves and also deal w housing, health and other issues on reserve. The hereditary system is supposed to speak about land ownership issues and resource development. Health issues for non-FNs not on reserve land is a new one. I doubt that if it were tested - it would hold-up in court. "Information" pickets, however - legal. No enforcement needed if compliance is "voluntary".

so is that on reserve but not traditional lands then (aka not hereditary lands). Because the whole island isn’t reserve right ?

Glad your not calling the shots of government. Holy cow.:eek::eek::eek:

No Kidding!!
Pozitive.gif

I am getting rather tired of the self focused & entitled youngsters literally screaming ME ME ME ME!
Reminds me of the damn seagulls in Finding Nemo!

It is quite apparent that they could not care any less for your Lady, myself, their parents or grandparents in this matter.
Nope.gif

Nope - ME ME ME ME!
Totally shameful & Downright DISGUSTING if you ask me.
NotHappy.gif

Nog

At least we aren't letting personal situations dictate our ideology. I have a macro view of this. My personal situation is irrelevant. Note: I have at risk people in my life as well..

At least we aren't letting personal situations dictate our ideology. I have a macro view of this. My personal situation is irrelevant. Note: I have at risk people in my life as well..

No, you don't.
You have a well displayed MICRO view of the situation, and you want what YOU want irregardless of the potential of damage or death to others.
I call that self focused and self entitled.
You can try and deflect that any way you want.
It doesn't fly in the face of your own words...

Nog

I have a friend with MS who is self isolating in fear of the corona virus, have even delivered groceries to her in isolation, anyone immuno-compromised needs to isolate from the public for sure. But to say every business needs to stay closed and have everyone lose their livelyhood is ridiculous.. the economy will be in complete ruin if we don’t start up again in the near future with some obvious restrictions and social distancing.

I have a friend with MS who is self isolating in fear of the corona virus, have even delivered groceries to her in isolation, anyone immuno-compromised needs to isolate from the public for sure. But to say every business needs to stay closed and have everyone lose their livelyhood is ridiculous.. the economy will be in complete ruin if we don’t start up again in the near future with some obvious restrictions and social distancing.

That isn't what we are saying Jeff. It has be safe for everyone not just Millennial/GenX/Gen Z etc. That means we all as a society have to make sacrifices.

This notion that somehow Covid 19 isn't serious, and we wasted months shutting things down is just nonsense. Actually it's pure ********.

It isn't up to our younger generations to put Boomers and up lives in jeopardy. If there is risk we all own it.

Last edited:
So we have come to this argument...
Some of you may die, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Increasing contacts means more people will die there is no way around that fact.

Its the daily goal posts that are moving that’s now driving people crazy.

It was all good while we were under lockdown but now that people are talking about opening that’s up everyone’s in a tiffy.

It’s the same health officials that everyone said to listen to are the ones talking about opening things up.

It’s certainly not time for a free for all but it’s time to get more things rolling that’s for sure. Again, those of us that have been maintaining work sites are proof that it can be done in most areas. Not all businesses and not all things but certainly more than what is up and running that’s for darn sure.

Hard to believe with what’s gone on in the world that anyone could think the measures put in place were for nothing? I think what we’ve done here in BC has been smart. What kind of financial prosperity would we have if we had been overloaded with the dying and the chaos that would follow. After the May long weekend we will likely see loosening of some restrictions. The Provincial Health Officer knows what she is doing, best as anyone can in the circumstances.

I’ve been very lucky to continue to get a paycheque through all of this but quite honestly most people are financially in horrible shape right now. Where I live a lot of loggers were laid off long before Covid happened so this has just been the nail in coffin. We are nearing a point where people need to start making money or things are going to get very ugly( bankruptcies, suicides, divorce etc). I feel for the high risk people but at some point we are going to need to start rolling again. You cannot expect everyone to lose everything because a small percent of the population is high risk. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask those that are high risk to continue to isolate longer than those that aren’t. Maybe if we got some working age people back making money and off the government tit, it would open up some funding to support the high risk individuals while they continue to isolate at home.

It seems to me that people in the cities and heavily populated areas are having a tougher time with these lock downs and shut downs than those of us in the urban areas and small towns. Really for the most part out lives haven’t changed a whole lot. Restaurants being closed and salons for the women is a big thing in these parts but other than that most businesses are up and running. We have all made the necessary adjustments with distancing and keeping hands sanitized when in town. We still jump on our quads and go for rides, we just use separate vehicles getting out there or ride out from our homes. I guess during times like this one really has to appreciate the freedom that comes with living the country life style. Not that most of us don’t to begin with but it really comes through in times like this. I’ve always regarded cities as cesspools and have done my best to stay away sure glad I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back