All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cit...n-local-ferry-passengers-during-pandemic/amp/

For potentially a year or longer, Haida Nation is going to allow zero access to Haida Gwaii regardless of provincial restrictions being lifted... this should get interesting.

Their nation, Their land, their rules

It think some were looking for any excuse possible to drive this home.

That’s all I’m going say because it’s goong to get to political if we go down that rabbit hole.

Their nation, Their land, their rules

That’s all I’m going say because it’s goong to get to political if we go down that rabbit hole.
All our land. I’ll leave it at that as well.
But doesn’t bode well for the big lodges up there and how they’ll open with all that FN stuff

All our land. I’ll leave it at that as well.
But doesn’t bode well for the big lodges up there and how they’ll open with all that FN stuff
It's called "unceded Traditional Territory", SG. That needs to be clear. That is both an historic and legal term with implications that vary across Canada where there are/are not Treaties.

It sure would be nice if people actually were knowledgeable and understood how we got here, how our legal system works - and possibly - where we are headed. My analogy is that in fog in a skiff - you look behind yourself once in a while to see the wake to tell if you are headed in a strait line - or are instead doing donuts....

Anyways back to COVID...

It's called "unceded Traditional Territory", SG. That needs to be clear. That is both an historic and legal term with implications that vary across Canada where there are/are not Treaties.

It sure would be nice if people actually were knowledgeable and understood how we got here, how our legal system works - and possibly - where we are headed. My analogy is that in fog in a skiff - you look behind yourself once in a while to see the wake to tell if you are headed in a strait line - or are instead doing donuts....

Anyways back to COVID...

yes can you self isolate tho buy just not allowing people with non residence not come or perhaps should you also not allow your residence to leave/return to the island as well.

Last edited:
Been working thru the corona virus pandemic for the last month , been all over the island CR,Tofino,Courtney,LakeCowichan ,Victoria and all places in between, Seems like most commercial construction
Sites have now closed or are working with skeleton crews.. , all big jobs we have slated to start have been postponed and friday i was given the wage subsidy layoff, think we are probably in for a little longer road then most of us expected, been fortunate to have worked thru it this long but i think i can expect to be off work for a couple months minimum. Lingcod opens friday.. will be going after one , was checked lastweek by DFO , they just checked lines and made sure we were compliant . The Ocean ain't closed and fishing in your home waters with your family is still acceptable.

attachment.php

I think you’re missing the point of those that say it’s all our land too AG. Anyway ... Covid... Trudeau took a semi more positive tone today. Well as positive as he gets. Guy really tries to make cdns depressed lol

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cit...n-local-ferry-passengers-during-pandemic/amp/

For potentially a year or longer, Haida Nation is going to allow zero access to Haida Gwaii regardless of provincial restrictions being lifted... this should get interesting.
Only makes sense if they quarantine their returning members as well. Covid doesn’t care who transports it. If you want to do something like this you need to make sure not only do tourists not visit Haida Gwaii, but also people from Haida Gwaii don’t visit the mainland. They should be screening all residents returning particularly those who went for medical appointments and could have contacted sick people.
I get what they’re trying to do, but unless it’s applied both ways at both ferry terminals ( no guarantee anyone from HG is not asymptomatic) then it seems a little like an us and them scenario. Seems to be happening on all the islands, we don’t want visitors but we still want access to the mainland.

I get what they’re trying to do, but unless it’s applied both ways at both ferry terminals ( no guarantee anyone from HG is not asymptomatic) then it seems a little like an us and them scenario. Seems to be happening on all the islands, we don’t want visitors but we still want access to the mainland.

yes don't come to my town but im going to make the 4 hour trip to come to your costco

Here's the Haida's take on what it means: https://coastalfirstnations.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/CHN-COVID19-Guide-FAQ.pdf

Short Version:
  • People who are not working in essential services should stay home and shelter in place.
  • Residents should not travel off-Island unless essential. For example, essential travel includes medical emergencies, urgent family matters, and essential service work off-Island.
  • Non-resident and all leisure travel to Haida Gwaii is not permitted.

Last edited:
Here's the Haida's take on what it means: https://coastalfirstnations.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/CHN-COVID19-Guide-FAQ.pdf

Short Version:
  • People who are not working in essential services should stay home and shelter in place.
  • Residents should not travel off-Island unless essential. For example, essential travel includes medical emergencies, urgent family matters, and essential service work off-Island.
  • Non-resident and all leisure travel to Haida Gwaii is not permitted.
Interesting to see if there will be any enforcement measures other than those applied to non residents. As I said earlier, Covid doesn’t care who it takes the Ferry ride with, tourists or returning residents.

Well, you are right, Ziggy - enforcement might be an issue. Under the existing laws of the colonial governments (BC & Canada) - FN can make laws for their federal Crown Land reserves under the Indian Act - but not to Provincial Crown. The feds and the Province have their own laws that may be used for health matters - but they are the ones to enforce these laws.

Under the hereditary governance system - there are a few steps that Band Councils are not authorized to enact nor speak on behalf of - that would need to be carried-out to enact hereditary law. Whether that's been actually done - who knows? And whether or not hereditary law applies to non-FN and/or what territory that applies to has not yet been tested in Canada's courts - to my knowledge. And then who is the appropriate and designated enforcement personnel to carry-out such orders? How were they designated and certified? What enforcement powers do they have? What happens to non-compliers? Raises some interesting & important questions, IMHO. Could get messy if it were tested.

Last edited:
I love how BC is 'close to re-opening' according to our own Bonnie Henry. FWIW I have no issue with the job she has done, as I understand that there are many people advising and making decisions. But - did the virus disappear? Whats the basis of this new found confidence and about face? People in BC will eat it up and feel great about how we beat the deadly Covid into submission. Or maybe - BC finally looked at the nearly 4 months of data and have determined that there is almost zero risk to a huge portion of our population. Co-incidentally - the portion of the population who is most likely to be working. Quick - go dig up the 35 cases of young and healthy people who have succumbed to the virus globally out of the 20 million presumed cases to show how scared we should be....or spend 1 minutes doing basic math to determine the risk is basically nil. Time to get the kids back in school and people back to reality. We can't hide in our houses for 18 months. I take more risk going 20 miles offshore for feeder springs on WCVI, for FEEDERS! Let people determine the level of exposure/risk they want to have. If you're over 50 wear a tight fitting mask and gloves when you go out......or don't. Decide for yourself. If you're morbidly obese, diabetic, heart disease you should shelter in place because literally any type of sudden movements will probably kill you, oh and the virus too. While you're hiding maybe pick up a vegtable instead of that loaf of garlic bread.

I love how BC is 'close to re-opening' according to our own Bonnie Henry. FWIW I have no issue with the job she has done, as I understand that there are many people advising and making decisions. But - did the virus disappear? Whats the basis of this new found confidence and about face? People in BC will eat it up and feel great about how we beat the deadly Covid into submission. Or maybe - BC finally looked at the nearly 4 months of data and have determined that there is almost zero risk to a huge portion of our population. Co-incidentally - the portion of the population who is most likely to be working. Quick - go dig up the 35 cases of young and healthy people who have succumbed to the virus globally out of the 20 million presumed cases to show how scared we should be....or spend 1 minutes doing basic math to determine the risk is basically nil. Time to get the kids back in school and people back to reality. We can't hide in our houses for 18 months. I take more risk going 20 miles offshore for feeder springs on WCVI, for FEEDERS! Let people determine the level of exposure/risk they want to have. If you're over 50 wear a tight fitting mask and gloves when you go out......or don't. Decide for yourself. If you're morbidly obese, diabetic, heart disease you should shelter in place because literally any type of sudden movements will probably kill you, oh and the virus too. While you're hiding maybe pick up a vegtable instead of that loaf of garlic bread.

Glad your not calling the shots of government. Holy cow.:eek::eek::eek:

So basically my wife with MS has no right to her health because you want to work? Is that what you are saying people with health problems and over 50 should just step aside, and let you spread the virus working?I mean who cares if they die if we can make money?

Sorry man I think your out too lunch with your statements, and don't agree. Please think of others and not just yourself. If we had not done what we did as a province a lot of people would have died.

Last edited:

Yeah. When I see the post about young people and blood clots and one person died it drives me nuts. That is literally fear momgering. Look into it and see flu kills more the covid does in young people. As does almost everything else.

If you’re over 60-70 or have underlying conditions then fair be afraid of this virus. If not there is little evidence to show you have any reason to be. The main outbreak across Canada is in long term care homes. 79% of the deaths and 90% of the deaths over the age of 60 (or 65, forget which just read it). Lock down these LTC homes and those that are at high risk. Therefore younger people still wouldn’t be able to pass it on to those that are high risk.

Canada predicts 3,800 total deaths by early May, as COVID-19 spreads in vulnerable groups
https://www.campbellrivermirror.com...may-as-covid-19-spreads-in-vulnerable-groups/

If controls are weakened, between 25 and 50 per cent of Canada’s 37.6 million population could be infected and between 111,000 and 222,000 people could die. No controls could lead to 70 to 80 per cent of the population being infected with between 311,000 and 355,000 deaths.

Last edited:
Well, you are right, Ziggy - enforcement might be an issue. Under the existing laws of the colonial governments (BC & Canada) - FN can make laws for their federal Crown Land reserves under the Indian Act - but not to Provincial Crown. The feds and the Province have their own laws that may be used for health matters - but they are the ones to enforce these laws.

Under the hereditary governance system - there are a few steps that Band Councils are not authorized to enact nor speak on behalf of - that would need to be carried-out to enact hereditary law. Whether that's been actually done - who knows? And whether or not hereditary law applies to non-FN and/or what territory that applies to has not yet been tested in Canada's courts - to my knowledge. And then who is the appropriate and designated enforcement personnel to carry-out such orders? How were they designated and certified? What enforcement powers do they have? What happens to non-compliers? Raises some interesting & important questions, IMHO. Could get messy if it were tested.
I think that’s the question residents of Haida Gwaii need to ask, who is making the rules for them. Who authorizes or approves their trip to the mainland, who determines if it is essential.? Also does the band have the right to force their own people from Haida Gwaii to quarantine on their return or to forbid them from leaving/returning.? Does this apply to non band residents?To not do this makes a mockery of their no visitor rule to protect the area from Covid. I suspect it already is getting messy, but as you say, who knows. I find many of the rules that are being applied, not only here but in many areas, a slippery slope. I think we all need to question if these rules are due to Covid or it’s simply an excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back