All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walleyes agreed, but want to reiterate I phrased that as "our tax money". The Covid flood gates on spending opened quickly but the amortization on making it disappear not so much.

Go to 9:08 on the video.
Gov. Cuomo nails it: "We didn't really close down the economy.
We closed down the economy relative to what we were doing, you still go to the store to get groceries ..."

In this crisis, as in war, the financial differences between the rich and the poor are rebalanced.
This balancing of lifestyle mainly hurts the wealthy. If you are feeling the pinch, take a long hard look around.

Last edited:

My thoughts are that CCG's message is really no different than that of BC's health officer in that staying home is recommend to be safest most efficient way to stop virus spread however for mental health reasons it was also stated as perfectly acceptable to go out for walks in the sunshine and soak up some healthy rays of sun as long as one is not sick with any symptoms and continues to follow appropriate safe protocols such as distancing from one another, hand washing etc. In answering a question about boating, the BC health officer also said as long as boating is done alone or with those from your same household then she felt was an acceptable activity. There is always a risk that anytime you go anywhere you could have an accident and require assistance however I'd suggest risk always has to be balanced with any benefit of an activity. Does one not go outside because there is a very small chance they might have an accident and require help ? It seems this decision is being left to the individual to decide and I feel as long as stated safe distance and hand washing protocols are adhered to when heading out then its acceptable. One of the common locations for injuries requiring assitance are in your own home. I also disagree that services such as C-Tow don't want your business if you were to break down in your boat.

CCG states: " [CCG] is asking anyone who is sick or has been in close contact with someone who has COVID-19 to resist the temptation to get on a boat. " so if not sick or been in close contact with someone who is known to have COVID, CCG is saying right there that boating is otherwise acceptable to them - of course only with those you live with/same household.

Appreciate the no BS approach. A good outline of how we reopen.

If you do not want the nanny state telling you how to open, start thinking outside the box and apply the 'new normal' to your business. The first folks to figure this out will succeed.

We are giving up our freedoms in the fight against COVID-19. The question is will we get them back?

Does freedom – a true freedom of strong precepts rather than meaningless platitudes – interfere with what we must do to survive? And, if it does, how much freedom will we surrender to remain alive, free from disease, adequately fed and suitably housed? All of it? Some of it? None of it?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opi...r-freedoms-in-the-fight-against-covid-19-the/

I was just out from Vancouver to the mid Straits for a few days. I launched from the marina in NV and filled my tank at Chevron Coal Harbor where the guys handed me a pair of gloves and the pump, no hugs per SOP whenever I fill there. I saw very few rec boaters between Vancouver and Texada, even less than typical. I had around 10 hours each day on board with the vhf monitoring 16 and I did not notice a single call out from Victoria CG radio, at all. It would be interesting to know what region on the Coast is producing an increase in calls? C Tow is fully operational by the way and in my case I tie up in a private slip, unstaffed, and walk the beach to our cabin seeing no one.

I did encounter a dfo zodiac on my way home and the crew was equipped with N95 masks and gloves through our interaction. They did not board but did ask to see my license and checked my gear on one side only.

Yes there is a chance if I hit rocks and had to be extracted from the water to any such rescue vessel's crew but that's in the extreme. Also maybe I read it wrong but it seems CG insulates rec boaters are ignoring others in distress? Not this one anyway.

So I take this as another govt fella yelling the sky is falling to keep the unwashed masses at bay. Most boaters I know are super careful and plan to enjoy successful and safe travels, no reason to expect any other outcome during covid. I appreciate that some ports of call are not stoked for boaters to come landing so plan accordingly. Who knows, boating could be shut down too if it can be proven that community transmission of covid 19 occured via a boater on a micro scale to a cruise ship. May as well close the roads then too.

I live near the flight path of the coast guard helicopter and did notice that it was called out a few times this week. Don't know any details but I do notice when the come and go. Seems to me if they are saying that they have been busy then we should take care. Most on this website are seasoned boaters and know the drill when we take the boat out for the first time in the spring. It's those that don't that the message was pointed to.

gloves and masks.

You are correct with the gloves and mask. My wife is a waste water plant operator. Calgary is a hotspot right now and her plant effluents contain Covid 19. She is in direct contact daily with the ****. Like @walleyes says there are ways to work & not catch it. For her it is proper PPE and making sure her work lab clothes are treated as contaminated. Staff are checked daily for temperatures also. They are down to minimal amount of pepole required & have a 10' distance policy at work. No more lunch room or coffee pots.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...dence-lifting-restrictions-rises-bc-1.5544585

Addresses current and second wave not being as bad as some fearmongering may imply
1/ I really don't think using the term "fearmongering" as a way of discounting & invalidating the input from the health professionals is neither responsible nor accurate,
2/ You seemed to miss the last comments by this ER doctor in this article: "Eisen says he's also more confident but adds a note of caution. The virus won't vanish. "The thing that worries me is that the general public will take any relaxation of restrictions as carte blanche to carry on with the old normal life."

If I test negative for COVID-19, am I clear?
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/whitecoat/if-i-test-negative-for-covid-19-am-i-clear-1.5527301
Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Sunday
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/coronavirus-covid19-1.5545450

Last edited:
Man i just want good news and that we are beating this thing, god dammit more... Be safe everyone this thing is something
else, tell me i'm wrong just maybe ...
View attachment 52260
The good news is that most folks are smart enough to understand what is going on and have the fortitude to deal with it.
Look around and see the clever individuals who are making their business Covid-proof. Others who have stepped up to find success in assisting the frontline workers. More than that I see neighbors chatting, safely, with neighbors. Parents discovering their children's strengths.
As the song says; "A man sees what he wants to see, And disregards the rest." Paul Simon

Yes things are getting rolling germany is opening it’s car plants and Italy is opening some things up may 4. Spain is allowing people outside.

Man i just want good news and that we are beating this thing, god dammit more... Be safe everyone this thing is something
else, tell me i'm wrong just maybe ...
View attachment 52260

First off correlation does not equal causation. Hasn't 20% of New York been infected with Covid? Probably more. Also - Stroke rates have been rising amongst the young every year for a long time. Probably due to high blood pressure, diabetes, diet, lack of exercise, obesity. Americans don't have a high prevalance of any of these do they? Another thing to consider - since the stay at home orders people have been doing what? Sitting on the couch typing on fishing blogs ALL DAY:) Sitting for long periods has been proven to increase DVT, which can lead to clots and stroke. I wouldn't read too much into it at this point.

First off correlation does not equal causation. Hasn't 20% of New York been infected with Covid? Probably more. Also - Stroke rates have been rising amongst the young every year for a long time. Probably due to high blood pressure, diabetes, diet, lack of exercise, obesity. Americans don't have a high prevalance of any of these do they? Another thing to consider - since the stay at home orders people have been doing what? Sitting on the couch typing on fishing blogs ALL DAY:) Sitting for long periods has been proven to increase DVT, which can lead to clots and stroke. I wouldn't read too much into it at this point.
Perfect, i keep nothing but busy, fishing, cooking, gardening...i really limit the news, way to much thrown around info... just taking it day by day

Last edited:
correlation does not necessarily equal causation - but.. it also might. So I echo WMY's comments - one needs to be careful...

Only sharing information. I don't really have the experience or medical degree to back the comments/story. It was just something to be aware of that was posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back