2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I’ve been skunked on Hali the last 8 trips out. I have a 2 year old so that’s about 2 years worth of trips haha. Used to have a lot more success in years past

please don't use zip ties for your bait!. and your anchor line for that matter. We are supposed to be stewards of the environment not polluters. Use either string or some other biodegradable material. For the release on your anchor crown use a light stainless hose clamp. We will not win the debate against the radical greenies if we don't use sound practices.

beemer

I used zip ties all the time up north for zipping herring to salmon belly but run them through the eye of circle hook to avoid leaving them on bottom of ocean. Sorry, not a report, but good tip for those using them.

I think I’ve been skunked on Hali the last 8 trips out. I have a 2 year old so that’s about 2 years worth of trips haha. Used to have a lot more success in years past

If it makes you feel any better, I was talking to a hard core Hallie fisherman a week or so ago.
He's retired so he has been out almost every day since it opened and he's caught 2 halibut.
This fellow really knows his stuff and said it was the worst he's seen.

I spent some time trying for halibut last Sat. Beautiful warm afternoon with no wind and a pretty good tide. Not a bite which was no surprise to me. I was out south of 27 fathom and I took my time to count every boat I could--from Constance to Albert Head to the pinnacles around Rack Rocks. I counted 90 boats. Pedder Bay marina was full of trailers. It seemed like the most halibut fishing effort I've seen out there in a long time, and by all accounts not much being caught.

Wow not good reports.

I can't come down there for my usual hali trips with all this covid stuff being up farther North now mid island now. What's going on down there? Was talking to a few guys yesterday, and they said same thing. They are picking up one here and there but its really slow. Wonder whay? Anyone know if Finest of the Sea has been targeting area heavily? I assume they aren't? Probably wouldn't explain it anyways. The guys I talk to were around mud hole area.

Yeah, I was one of the 90 a week ago and came up empty too. So unlike me!
It seems there just aren't any around, at least not where they still were last year. And there was no commercial pressure this year to blame. Very weird and concerning.

Yeah, I was one of the 90 a week ago and came up empty too. So unlike me!
It seems there just aren't any around, at least not where they still were last year. And there was no commercial pressure this year to blame. Very weird and concerning.

Yes that definitely isn't like you.... Yeah it's weird.

Drifted yesterday for an hour and anchored for two. Nothing happening. No dogfish in my last 3 or 4 trips, not that I'm complaining but is that normal for this time of year? I'm missing my buddies. They were always good for a few dogfish.

What’s everyone doing for the scent trail? I’ll take a pic of what I attach to my anchor tomorrow when I’m at the shop.

Last edited:
Went out last weekend and fished to previously productive spots for 4 hrs each with no Hali. What is weird was the last few times out there were no other fish caught. No doggies, no rat fish, no fish of any kind! Both weird and concerning.

Went out last weekend and fished to previously productive spots for 4 hrs each with no Hali. What is weird was the last few times out there were no other fish caught. No doggies, no rat fish, no fish of any kind! Both weird and concerning.
I was out twice the other week the first time I must have had dogfish on every 15 min. I had brought a bunch of salmon bellies and they would not leave them alone. I ended that trip after getting a great hali bite,rod tip in water pounding away and then 20 sec later poof gone. Usually the circle hook keeps hold of them but was not my day. That was after about 4-1/2 hours on anchor so frustrating
Second trip not so bad.

Hi not expecting to steal anyone’s secret spots just wondering how the crabbing is off the waterfront . Now that Sidney has closed the ramp I thought that I would try off Victoria. I’m breaking in a new kicker, so I can have to go from Fleming Beach ramp to put hours on the new motor. Is there any decent spots near there that I could try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back