Boats on Used Victoria and Other Areas

https://victoria.craigslist.org/boa/d/squamish-2001-trophy-bayliner/7091017556.html

New guy here. Hi.

Anybody know anything about this boat. Yes, I know its a Bayliner and I don't want to debate the quality differences between a Grady White (or other favourite make) and the entry level Trophy.

This boat has been advertised on FB, CL, and probably Kijiji for a few weeks. I'm relatively new to boat shopping but this seems to fit the budget and style. Ideas?

Welcome to the forum Odin,
To answer your question, that hull is pretty decent. They were composite construction in that year. But there are a couple red flags for me. That engine primarily. They are pretty long lasting but the 2 stroke is just annoyingly noisy and thirsty. The other thing is the trailer, that boat really needs a dual axle trailer. Save your money for another trophy or similar w/a with better power and a suitable trailer.
My 2c anyway,
Darin

Welcome to the forum Odin,
To answer your question, that hull is pretty decent. They were composite construction in that year. But there are a couple red flags for me. That engine primarily. They are pretty long lasting but the 2 stroke is just annoyingly noisy and thirsty. The other thing is the trailer, that boat really needs a dual axle trailer. Save your money for another trophy or similar w/a with better power and a suitable trailer.
My 2c anyway,
Darin
Agree on the two red flags but, if you are only towing a few km's to the boat ramp the trailer should be fine. If you go any significant distance or speed then budget 3-4k for a used trailer and plan to get 1200-800 selling the trailer used. The 2 stroke is louder and gives you a smokey smell but the Yamaha kicker is a great feature as it isn't Smokey and was 3k to buy/install new. Plan to invest 10-18k in a new/used motor like my buddy did with his mercury of that era but who knows you may get lucky like my brother who ran his mercury of that era for 5 years with no problem and then sold the boat for the same price.

He is clearly asking OBO so if you can get it in the high teens it could be a great boat, I personally wouldn't sell it for that but I don't own two boat right now! I love the hard top for carrying prawn/crab traps and a full canvas and Cuddy makes it usable year round. The down riggers, Lowrance gps/fishfinder and I noticed he had a BBQ as well, you can ask him to throw in but he is already including thousands in extra over a bare boat and new that thing would cost you 60k rigged like that and yes I did pull that number out of my......

Agree on the two red flags but, if you are only towing a few km's to the boat ramp the trailer should be fine. If you go any significant distance or speed then budget 3-4k for a used trailer and plan to get 1200-800 selling the trailer used. The 2 stroke is louder and gives you a smokey smell but the Yamaha kicker is a great feature as it isn't Smokey and was 3k to buy/install new. Plan to invest 10-18k in a new/used motor like my buddy did with his mercury of that era but who knows you may get lucky like my brother who ran his mercury of that era for 5 years with no problem and then sold the boat for the same price.

He is clearly asking OBO so if you can get it in the high teens it could be a great boat, I personally wouldn't sell it for that but I don't own two boat right now! I love the hard top for carrying prawn/crab traps and a full canvas and Cuddy makes it usable year round. The down riggers, Lowrance gps/fishfinder and I noticed he had a BBQ as well, you can ask him to throw in but he is already including thousands in extra over a bare boat and new that thing would cost you 60k rigged like that and yes I did pull that number out of my......

Great answer, fully agree. My brother tows his 21' Trophy from mid island to Nootka once a year on the factory single axle trailer. You could upgrade the tires to make sure they are the high load rating for that weight, cheaper than a new dual axle. Funny, when we all had 2 strokes, we weren't worried about how many years they would last as they were pretty good for the money. That main with the 4 stroke kicker should suit you well.

There’s also “quite the deal” on Facebook in Nanaimo. 1980 Skookum with 15hp and a top speed of 6...
$10,000.00
It’s RARE!!
View attachment 52232

i’ve only ever seen one of these before. i was talking to the owner about the boat and he was bragging it up big time, then my drunk butt brother in law decides to throw a rock at a floating log. you guessed it. it bounced off the log and smoked the guys boat. my brother law is as big as a house and he apologized but i could tell the guy was livid

i’ve only ever seen one of these before. i was talking to the owner about the boat and he was bragging it up big time, then my drunk butt brother in law decides to throw a rock at a floating log. you guessed it. it bounced off the log and smoked the guys boat. my brother law is as big as a house and he apologized but i could tell the guy was livid
There’s a 1 in 7 chance this is the boat!!

Reactions: BCI
Back