All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not sustainable

Government is going have to bail out company’s by the billions or bankruptcy is coming to a lot.

I know there is lots of funny meme about worrying about the economy before health but it’s really starting to look bad and not something that’s just going to be able to start back up.

Lots of business will go bankrupt. Your going to see a lot of shedding of businesses in next few months. I encourage all of you to support your local businesses where you can. Small business owners are really hurting right now.

This is not sustainable

Government is going have to bail out company’s by the billions or bankruptcy is coming to a lot.

I know there is lots of funny meme about worrying about the economy before health but it’s really starting to look bad and not something that’s just going to be able to start back up.

The long term fall out from this is going to be worse than the direct effects of the virus itself. Suicide rates, drug dependence’s, broken families from stress of loss of businesses and marriages. This is a global issue not just a local one. Far more deaths are going to be in the long term than the near term deaths from the virus. This has to be taken into account.
The world is treading new ground here, lots to be learned from this. What’s the right thing to do, we may never know for sure but lots will be learned.

Death is pretty final, Walleyes - pretty "long term". I sure don't want to be the one who judges whether or not the trauma and tragedy inflicted onto any family is better than releasing the virus onto the population. You are right tho - This is a global issue not just a local one & new ground - lots to be learned...

Death is pretty final, Walleyes - pretty "long term". I sure don't want to be the one who judges whether or not the trauma and tragedy inflicted onto any family is better than releasing the virus onto the population. You are right tho - This is a global issue not just a local one & new ground - lots to be learned...

I fully agree. There is no doubt that our authorities have done the best they could have given the sudden impact this has had. I think the decision too shut things down was a lot easier than the one on when and how to get it all rolling again is going to be. That’s going to be the one that really gets scrutinized. Tough situation for sure.

When the Province/State tells you it's safe to go to Home Depot to buy a sponge but dangerous to go and buy a flower, it's not about your health.

When the Province/State shuts down millions of private businesses but doesn’t lay off a single government employee, it's not about your health.

When the Province/State bans dentists because its unsafe, but deems abortion visits safe, it's not about your health.

When the Province/State prevents you from buying cucumber seeds because it's dangerous, but allows in person lottery ticket sales, it's not about your health.

When the Province/State tells you it's dangerous to go golf alone, fish alone or be in a motor boat alone, but the Governor can get his stage make up done, and hair done for 5 TV appearances a week, it's not about your health.

When the state puts you IN a jail cell for walking in a park with your child because it’s too dangerous but lets criminals OUT of jail cells for their health- It’s not about YOUR health!

When the Province/State tells you it’s too dangerous to get treated by a doctor of chiropractic or physical therapy treatments yet deems a liquor store essential- It’s not about your health!

When the Province/State lets you go to the grocery store or hardware store but is demanding mail-in voting, ITS NOT ABOUT YOUR HEALTH.

I will further add when the Province/State says you can't meet at Church but can meet at Walmart, Target, Costco ..etc...It's not about your health.

WAKE UP PEOPLE — If you think this is all about your health you’re mistaken! Please open your eyes! Stop being lead like blind sheep.

Copy and pasted. I take no credit, but agree 100%.

This pandemic is being taken advantage of by people. The fear tactics are working. Everyone is at home focused on media. The media has never had influence as big as this. This is an opportunity for some, open your eyes.

Social distancing works, but only for coronavirus. More people will die from depression than coronavirus if this continues. Some will not even be able to support their families anymore. It's not all about the virus anymore.

WAKE UP PEOPLE — If you think this is all about your health you’re mistaken! Please open your eyes! Stop being lead like blind sheep.

This pandemic is being taken advantage of by people. The fear tactics are working. Everyone is at home focused on media. The media has never had influence as big as this. This is an opportunity for some, open your eyes.

Social distancing works, but only for coronavirus. More people will die from depression than coronavirus if this continues. Some will not even be able to support their families anymore. It's not all about the virus anymore.
Okay, I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy. What's it all about?

When the Province/State tells you it's safe to go to Home Depot to buy a sponge but dangerous to go and buy a flower, it's not about your health.

When the Province/State shuts down millions of private businesses but doesn’t lay off a single government employee, it's not about your health.

When the Province/State bans dentists because its unsafe, but deems abortion visits safe, it's not about your health.

When the Province/State prevents you from buying cucumber seeds because it's dangerous, but allows in person lottery ticket sales, it's not about your health.

When the Province/State tells you it's dangerous to go golf alone, fish alone or be in a motor boat alone, but the Governor can get his stage make up done, and hair done for 5 TV appearances a week, it's not about your health.

When the state puts you IN a jail cell for walking in a park with your child because it’s too dangerous but lets criminals OUT of jail cells for their health- It’s not about YOUR health!

When the Province/State tells you it’s too dangerous to get treated by a doctor of chiropractic or physical therapy treatments yet deems a liquor store essential- It’s not about your health!

When the Province/State lets you go to the grocery store or hardware store but is demanding mail-in voting, ITS NOT ABOUT YOUR HEALTH.

I will further add when the Province/State says you can't meet at Church but can meet at Walmart, Target, Costco ..etc...It's not about your health.

What an ignorant post. Copy and pasted from where? Lots of people being put in jail for walking in parks? And yes, close the liquor stores and see what happens.

Last edited:
Ya - I don't trust the government, neither. Nor do I think any particular party is necessarily better than another.

However my distrust of government does not translate into not understanding the need to take measures to protect life and "flatten the curve" - which has been largely successful particularly in Canada and particularly in BC.

Health authorities are not infallible - and are learning about COVID-19 as we all do - but I'll take their advice over any politician. The responsible governments & politicians listen to their health experts and keep the infection & death rates low. Responsible people should also do the same.

That includes the alt-right whom often claim to have religious values - Christian values that are often stated around protecting life and helping out neighbours. They should walk the walk and listen and help our health experts minimize the effects of this pandemic. They can go back to distrusting the government after this is over.

It's really ridiculous that this has become a politically polarized issue.

The left is on the stay at home bandwagon, with little thought as to how sustainable that is and what the aftermath looks like. The right thinks all of this is overblown and wants to ignore the advice....look how that has worked out for the US...

Moral of the story, politicizing the issues is beyond asinine.

It's really ridiculous that this has become a politically polarized issue.

The left is on the stay at home bandwagon, with little thought as to how sustainable that is and what the aftermath looks like. The right thinks all of this is overblown and wants to ignore the advice....look how that has worked out for the US...

Moral of the story, politicizing the issues is beyond asinine.

The last line in @ryanb post is important. That is why we have stated and repeated that this thread, or any thread, that turns this into a political debate will be removed. As there have been a few posts trending that way recently, it is time to remind everyone to keep it focused on updates and keep the politics out of it.

I agree it’s ridiculous to politicize a virus. Thing is I know a lot of people in health care, they all say the same thing, follow the rules or we are in for a nasty, ugly mess. Also a thoughtful young scientist said to me recently”it would be really helpful if people could work on developing some basic scientific literacy” I agree 100%.

Getting accurate data is about the only way to figure out an appropriate response. Front of line health care workers probably don't have the best perspective considering the obvious bias from only seeing the most critical cases. Of course they are going to be pre-dispositioned to think its a 'nasty ugly mess'. As a society, we base a lot of our decisions on cost/benefit/risk analysis. Except of course now, where the most conservative measures have been taken on an almost global scale. Do you think the UK did a complete U turn on policy because of data? or because of social and political implications, placate to consituents? They originally wanted to implement a similar strategy as Sweden. Sweden isn't guessing. They looked at the data and developed a sound, reasoned, and nuanced response to this. It sounds like Canada is starting to move in that direction. Thankfully there was one country in the world with Cojones. Apparently Swedes aren't soft after all.

While I agree we need to start to look at opening things I don’t necessarily agree with the Sweden plan and the last time I looked at the Sweden data their curve was still going up.

I also do not have an issue keeping real tight measures in for the next month or so.

But it does start to become hard when you start looking at beyond that.

I agree with the medical community we were on s path that would of destroyed our health care system so social distancing measure were necessary but now that we have bent that cure into a manageable level we need to start looking at what is a sustainable amount of cases per day.

Some of that is science based but some of it is going to be very political.

I think Georgia will be a state to watch closely after it opens up for for 2-3 weeks enough time for the incubation period to take effect or not. Not sure if the Governor has used much science coming to his decision :)

Getting accurate data is about the only way to figure out an appropriate response. Front of line health care workers probably don't have the best perspective considering the obvious bias from only seeing the most critical cases. Of course they are going to be pre-dispositioned to think its a 'nasty ugly mess'. As a society, we base a lot of our decisions on cost/benefit/risk analysis. Except of course now, where the most conservative measures have been taken on an almost global scale. Do you think the UK did a complete U turn on policy because of data? or because of social and political implications, placate to consituents? They originally wanted to implement a similar strategy as Sweden. Sweden isn't guessing. They looked at the data and developed a sound, reasoned, and nuanced response to this. It sounds like Canada is starting to move in that direction. Thankfully there was one country in the world with Cojones. Apparently Swedes aren't soft after all.
Perfect logic?Don’t trust healthcare workers for advice on healthcare, they only have degrees in health science and understand how the body systems work. Never mind the fact they have access to the best data available. Everyone wants the economy to get going again, but at what expense?

Last edited:
They looked at the data and developed a sound, reasoned, and nuanced response to this. It sounds like Canada is starting to move in that direction. Thankfully there was one country in the world with Cojones. Apparently Swedes aren't soft after all.
The death rate in Sweden is much higher than in neighboring countries. Norway had 30 deaths per million, for example, while Sweden had 139.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nation...l-in-its-no-lockdown-approach-to-covid-19/amp

Everyone wants the economy to get going again, but at what expense?

I think we need to first figure how many people have been exposed to the virus.

Some studies now showing that most of the people infected had no symptoms. One area they looked at had 80 times more cases then reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back