Are you using your VHF radio correctly?

Don't we use channel 84 for radio checks with Canadian Coast Guard radio? It's a good idea to do it at the start of each season.

I wonder how many people who use their radios have written the exam and obtained their license? Unlike the US, a license is required to operate a marine VHF radio in Canadian waters.

I have the license but I rarely use the radio other than to do a radio check. Sometimes I'll respond to a request on the fishing status if I'm catching. I usually monitor 68 when I'm fishing as that's where I hear most of the fishing chatter and for the most part I don't hear an abuse of air time. Proper protocol may not be used at times but not an overall issue. As for licensing, I for one, probably forgot most of what I had learned a week or two after the course. It applies to most things,,,,,if you don't use it you loose it.

I wonder how many people who use their radios have written the exam and obtained their license? Unlike the US, a license is required to operate a marine VHF radio in Canadian waters.

When I purchased my radio, I asked about licensing. I am a Ham radio operator, I was told that license was adequate. But it's NOT.

Got my ROC-M through the Power and Sail Squadron. The evening class's were much more informative than I thought they would be and gave you a good foundation for the exam.
You were at one point given a set of circumstances and then were asked to make an actual practice call, where you had to make a determination as to whether you would go with a Mayday call or a Pan Pan Pan call.

Last edited:
I’ve had my ROC since the early 90’s and used radios during my time in the military. I don’t always use full call procedure but you will always know my call sign and that of the station I am calling. For most of the year radio traffic (Ch6) in the Barclay Sound area is good. I always cringe when I hear people playing their favourite song, or using derogatory/ foul language (including explicit call signs). In days of old they use to use direction finding equipment to chase down unlicensed HAM radio stations. Now (unless it is very egregious) there is very little enforcement. Best we can do is lead by example and (if can safely) educate them.

Last edited:
I operate a marina, was coast guard trained and can state with absolute certainty that a lot of boaters out there are not well versed with proper radio protocol. One of the most vital things is to identify yourself, and whom you are addressing. I've heard sooooo many boaters think they're talking to a certain marina when they're actually conversing with a completely different one. Mass confusion!!

I have friends that took the course through our boat club that were told to always be on channel 16 to receive emergency calls.That means that anyone that wants to contact them will use 16 to call them and then switch to another channel.It seems wrong to me to be on 16 for anything other than an emergency and my VHF will automatically switch to 16 when there is a broadcast.No,I haven't taken the course,but this doesn't seem right to me.In Victoria I use 68 as my call #.

Ch 16 is for emergency and hailing. A quick call then switch to another channel. It's really not much of an issue these days because most people have cell phones for reaching each other.

I don't think the course is necessary, but if you are going to use the radio you should at least know the basics. Lots of info on the web, and you can probably learn everything you need to know in about 1 hour.

I operate a marina, was coast guard trained and can state with absolute certainty that a lot of boaters out there are not well versed with proper radio protocol. One of the most vital things is to identify yourself, and whom you are addressing. I've heard sooooo many boaters think they're talking to a certain marina when they're actually conversing with a completely different one. Mass confusion!!

I agree.

That's where the channel scanning function is nice - particularly if you only have 1 VHF. ALWAYS scan Ch 16, whatever VTS channel is where you are (if you are in a traffic lane) and whatever channel you n your buds are on.

What is the different between playing a short clip of your favorite song and talking about a fish you just caught? Both those things happen in Barkley sound all of the time (on channels 6, 8). Keep your chatter brief and it isnt a big deal. For the most part when I'm fishing, the goof balls on the radio give me a laugh. Not much harm in it on ship to ship channels. That's my 2 cents.
Pastafarian

I’ve had my ROC since the early 90’s and used radios during my time in the military. I don’t always use full call procedure but you will always know my call sign and that of the station I am calling. For most of the year radio traffic (Ch6) in the Barclay Sound area is good. I always cringe when I hear people playing their favourite song, or using derogatory/ foul language (including explicit call signs). In days of old they use to use direction finding equipment to chase down unlicensed HAM radio stations. Now (unless it is very egregious) there is very little enforcement. Best we can do is lead by example and (if can safely) educate them.

You reminded of the few times somebody's mike stuck on, pastafarian. Talk about entertaining. and ultimately a bit tiring as the minutes stretch into hours.

Back