Where'd all the prawns go? A newby quandary.

SaltyAlice

This is my first year prawning and I have been enjoying it during the winter months to offset the slower fishing. I have been prawning primarily around common spots close to Vancouver. I have been doing quite well but over the past month my proven set up and spots have slowed down dramatically and I am getting a fraction of the winter haul. So, my questions are:

1) As the spring goes on is the catch smaller because of increased volume of prawning from other sporties?

2) Do the prawns move to a different depth or location this time of year?

3) Should I change anything up or just accept that it will be winter before it picks back up again?

I've seen some decent hauls from over towards Vancouver Island but over here around Howe Sound it doesn't seem to be quite the same.

Thanks!

pretty simple

SOCIAL MEDIA ,forums , facebook , instagram......

newbees turned pro in record time , dock shots, brag shots killed it...
i was one of them , was one of the dumb asses for many years ...
little late to the rodeo unfortunately boys .... bring on the US regs...... time to buy ski boats again, or dust off the lake tinnys lol....
been here , done this a few times over 40 years.....
the writing has been on the wall for 5 years...
prob be banned now lol...
if and when , this ever recovers , m2b , keep your info and knowledge a little closer to your heart !!!
stay safe out there ...
FD

pretty simple

SOCIAL MEDIA ,forums , facebook , instagram......

newbees turned pro in record time , dock shots, brag shots killed it...
i was one of them , was one of the dumb asses for many years ...
little late to the rodeo unfortunately boys .... bring on the US regs...... time to buy ski boats again, or dust off the lake tinnys lol....
been here , done this a few times over 40 years.....
the writing has been on the wall for 5 years...
prob be banned now lol...
if and when , this ever recovers , m2b , keep your info and knowledge a little closer to your heart !!!
stay safe out there ...
FD
Yep. Can't blame it on the commies, they aren't even open yet. Mirror time

Wanna bet that as soon as lingcod opens inside, we will start seeing all sorts of pictures of dead ones.. which will put even more pressure on stocks . No problem sharing locations with friends and a few new fishers via PM-- but to tell the world via the web !!!!!! Dumb.

I live on Alberni Inlet and mayby the fact the natives have been commercially prawning 24 /7 all winter would have something to do with it.
Yes I agree, I have seen it myself and reported it in a thread that the admin deleted.. I totally understand what you are saying . I have seen them with 8 traps on one float and never a berried one thrown back. That's where the prawns are... Total DFO mismanagement that has no balls.

I should also add I have fished with FN friends on my rec boat for many years within rec. rules. Great People. Unfortunately a few bad apples abuse the system.

Last edited:
Everyone's talking about passage, that's old old news, no one talks about the real gold mines so here is one: Off vancouver, look for a sandy/muddy bottom and drop your traps at about 80 ft... it's a secret I've been keeping for years but there you go! Forget about any other spots.

Back