Should I buy a boat?

Afterimage

Hi everyone, I'm new here and looking for advice on whether or not to buy a boat.

I'm not very experienced in fishing but have gone 1-2 times per year over the past ten or so years. I always enjoy it and want to go more often and learn more. I'm thinking of getting a small boat for lake fishing, but I don't know if it's worth it for me. I'd be buying a small used boat and likely aluminum because I am towing it behind my hatch back. I think if I got my own boat I’d probably end up going 4 or 5 times per year, which I know is still not a lot but it would allow me to go more easily for more day trips and to visit new lakes. In the past I’ve always stayed at a fishing resort and rented a boat.

anyhow, I’m wondering if for the cost of the initial purchase and upkeep if it makes sense for me. I know it is really a matter of opinion but I’m looking for some perspective!

any advice on buying a first used boat is helpful as well.

thanks in advance
Lauren

I got my addiction from trout fishing. I started small with an inflatable that I’d blow up with a foot pump at a lake before sunrise and ended up adding a removable transom with a minn Kota trolling motor.

then I went for a 12’ aluminum and customized it with a paint job and all the goodies.

Then I had “the one that got away” my prized 17’ double eagle that I transformed into a sexy line tangling machine.

I don’t care if I can only fish a few months a year or can only fish for this species or that. I will boat again people, I WILL BOAT AGAIN!!!

ahem...(adjusts bow tie) yes you should.

I have a small aluminum boat. 14 footer. It’s fine in the ocean on calm days and it’s great for lakes (with a boat launch). I’ve owned bigger boats but this is perfect for my needs. Cheap to run and maintain, you can tow it with anything and you can easily fish lake or ocean.

The 14 foot tinny, in my opinion, is one of the most versatile boats out there.

I say go for it.

At first thought, like a few others on here I thought “what a dumb question”

But then I began to think - I used to have an rv. I needed a place to store it. I had to rent a storage unit. When I took it out of storage each spring I would spend a week cleaning it, maintenance, and packing it up for the summer. Then another week at the end of the year before I put it back in storage.

So I sold it.

Now if I want to stay some place over night, I stay in a Hotel, Airbnb, sleep on the boat, or in a tent.

For some people they are better off going out with friends, or on a charter a few times a year if they don’t have the time to commit to owning a boat.

If you get something decent don’t forget that if worse comes to worse you can sell it. You’re only out the money, ( if it did) it declined since you bought it and if it’s decent that shouldn’t be much.

I bought a used 12' aluminum boat in Kamloops for $800 including trolling motor, seats, oars, battery and a goofy little depth sounder....bought about 6 years ago. I'm pretty sure I could sell it for around the same price now. So...yes! Buy a boat, use it, and if it doesn't work out you can sell it and probably not "lose" too much money.

I don't know where you're located but if I were you I'd be browsing the classified ads in the interior (Merritt, Kelowna, Kamloops, etc). I'm sure you'll find a nice little rig

At first thought, like a few others on here I thought “what a dumb question”

But then I began to think - I used to have an rv. I needed a place to store it. I had to rent a storage unit. When I took it out of storage each spring I would spend a week cleaning it, maintenance, and packing it up for the summer. Then another week at the end of the year before I put it back in storage.

So I sold it.

Now if I want to stay some place over night, I stay in a Hotel, Airbnb, sleep on the boat, or in a tent.

For some people they are better off going out with friends, or on a charter a few times a year if they don’t have the time to commit to owning a boat.

Yeah I was thinking it might be a silly question to ask but you're right for some people it won't be worth it. I'm going to give it a try though, I'm willing to go to the trouble to resell if I end up finding I don't use it much.

i would suggest you look into the freedom boat club. may be more economical and affordable than owning a boat. boats are $$$ and a huge time suck. try before you buy and they dont need a tow vehicle.

Livingston boats offer superior stability with their twin hull design. Buying a boat should be contingent on a "sea trial"; make sure you are comfortable with the performance/stability of the boat. I personally don't like AL boats. They are very tippy.
For freshwater, trolling at a low speed is a high priority feature. You may want an electric motor for that purpose. A depth sounder is a great feature.
With the above features you will have greater chance of catching fish than with a rental boat IMO.

That is a great deal. Nice that the seats are removable. My Lund is extremely stable, not sure what ericl is referring to but is not a new Lund I have full confidence in the boat. older aluminum boats are quite different, my old 14ft was not as stable as the new one. you have to be comfortable and sea trial is a must.

I echo what Rob said. I also have a 14 foot Lund and it is shockingly stable, it's 16 years old and doesn't leak one drop and I've used it a ton over the last 10 years since I bought it. I was really pleased when I first took it for a spin and couldn't believe how it handled for such a small boat. I have used older aluminum boats and own a 12 foot Springbok. It's nothing like the Lund boats as far as quality and stability.

Back