2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard police were out in the inlet on Sunday checking not for licenses or gear, but for social distancing on the boats! 170 buck fine for infringement. Fun times.

Btw Tsartlip boat launch is closed as of April 17th, this Wed.

Good Luck Hali fishing bouys!

Hi Irishwolf,

Where did you see that Tsartlip Boat Launch was closed as of Friday April 17th? Are they closing it down? Was it posted on site?

Last edited:
Not a rumour...police were out checking for family only connections on board over the Easter weekend. I know of one boat that did get fined the $175 per person. Now, back to fishing reports for this thread.

still a rumor..we were checked by the police boat and no mention of Social Separation in an 18' boat.
Just the usual questions about registration, id etc.

still a rumor..we were checked by the police boat and no mention of Social Separation in an 18' boat.
Just the usual questions about registration, id etc.

Brilliant and good for you. Also, thanks for helping me see the light regarding my good friend being a complete liar...always suspected he was a descendant of Pinocchio!

Now, back to fishing reports...again.

Thanks Tinboatrobb. So it closed today? Any time frame for reopening? Was that noted at all? Was it posted at the ramp?
Well there goes the neighborhood!
They haven’t done any upgrading or safety maintenance on that dock and ramp, ever. Really has not changed in the 50 years I’ve been using it. Really be sad if it wasn’t open up again, hey maybe it will be rebuilt into a fully functioning legitimate business that embraces the community and fosters good will to all fisher folk. Or maybe not?

We picked up a hali earlier in the week in the South Constance area. 300', herring AND were checked by the police boat.
2 fishermen, unrelated and living in separate residences in a 16' boat.
They were very friendly. Asked for id and the usual questions but no mention of Social Separation.
They said they had check about a dozen boats in the area and were watching mainly for USA fishermen.
They also said they had only seen one other boat with a halibut on board.

Went for a nice cruise over to Vic on Monday, big tides that day. Anchored up south end of Constance about an hour before low water, swung stern straight west into the bank in about 230ft. Dogs and Rats, fished slack and the swing until it started blowing 20 west. Went to the north side of Discovery Islands fished 180ft of water about half way to Zero RK. On the edge of the gravel bar easterly side where the bank is. No love there. We had fresh herring, Salmon Belly and Octi. Dunno. Only saw one other boat out that day. Sitting right onto north side of constance.

We are relatively new for fishing hali in the Fuca. Any tips mucho appreciate

Sorry Mike,I see your a new member,that question is a no-no. Edit-I'd gladly share salmon spots but halibut are very location oriented,just can't.That said,my name is on my boat,so it's hardly a well kept secret.

Sorry Rayvon! My bad, I didn't know hali was a no no question for general area. Hope I didn't offend:(
Mike

Mike, it was a good question and I was hoping to hear the answer as well because I’m about 0 for 8 now on trying to get one. Some people have no problem sharing info, gear & spots. I can only share where they’re not sadly. If you’re out look for others anchored maybe mark some waypoints as you go by. Constance Bank is a popular area with lots of room, another area is the mud hole, somewhere between Constance and Pedder Bay then there are more further west near Race Rocks to sooke. 275ft -350ft are popular depths on the edges of drop offs. Theory is they come up from the deep to feed around panicles. Again this info from a non catcher but I’m not given up yet. Look forward to your reports;-)

Mike, it was a good question and I was hoping to hear the answer as well because I’m about 0 for 8 now on trying to get one. Some people have no problem sharing info, gear & spots. I can only share where they’re not sadly. If you’re out look for others anchored maybe mark some waypoints as you go by. Constance Bank is a popular area with lots of room, another area is the mud hole, somewhere between Constance and Pedder Bay then there are more further west near Race Rocks to sooke. 275ft -350ft are popular depths on the edges of drop offs. Theory is they come up from the deep to feed around panicles. Again this info from a non catcher but I’m not given up yet. Look forward to your reports;-)

Thanks Original, I myself am 0- I lost count lol. Last time i hooked into a hali was out at Swiftsure bank in 2004, my goal is to get one this year and find the unicorn of the deep blue. Thanks for the info:) if I do find a hali out there or get some bits I'll definitely let you know were it happened. I'll send you a PM!

I always fish straight out from Williams Head. It’s a big area with lots of guys anchoring in the general area. I usually anchor two to three miles out and have been lucky in several locations in this area so no particular hot spot for me. I don’t fish pinnacles for fear of hanging up with the anchor. I’ve caught them on herring, salmon bellies and squid. I’ve had many trips with nothing but I keep putting in the time and get rewarded every 4-5 trips. Most of my catches, not all but most, have been when I’ve had a rod in hand and working it. Seems to entice them more to that rod especially when it’s calm and you don’t get a lot of action from the boat. Picked up two drifting in this same area in March before the old license ran out. Picked up a little chicken today. Herring and a piece of squid,,no skirt. Beauty of a day today and lots of boats out.

Sorry Rayvon! My bad, I didn't know hali was a no no question for general area. Hope I didn't offend:(
Mike
No offense of course.Yes,it's no big secret as others have said.Race only if very confident in your anchoring skills and exceptionally slow current,the"Mud Hole" which is a huge area from William Head to Albert Head eastward into the shipping lanes (be careful),south and west of Constance,south Discovery and lots of spots in Haro.I'm lucky to be retired and have an understanding wife ,so I go whenever I know there are good currents and calm water.People that work and can only fish weekends when weather and current are OK have much less chance of success than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back