2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was out on Monday and started off fishing south bowen.. Did a few passes without any hits and decide to try something that I haven't done before. Instead of picking up lines and heading over to the hump, I left lines in the water and trolled south from RC to the north east corner of the hump. About halfway to the hump in approx 700feet of water the portside rod starts bouncing. Not a huge hit but there was a fish on. Grabbed the rod and pulled the line off the release clip..... Felt a few small tugs and I was almost certain it was an undersized and so I decided to give the rod to the wife to let her have some fun reeling it in. The line was set at 170 on the downrigger. As she got about 50% of the line reeled, the reel starts peeling line. I look over and see that the rod is bent over and the wife looks terrified and confused. 1st thought that went through my head was that my rod and reel was going to end up at the bottom of the sea. Line peeled for what seemed like 20 Secs or so... She starts yelling at me to take the rod from her as she wants nothing to do with the experience. I grabbed the rod and eventually get the fish to the surface... Looked like a good 15-18 pounder.. I shout to the wife to get me my gaff so that I can invert the hook boat side for a quick release. before I can finish telling her to get the gaff the fish does a nose dive and takes another run straight down and then all of a sudden decides to head back to the surface at which point my line goes slack and fish is off... What a great looking and healthy fish... Definately got the heart rate going.. Double glow flasher on chartreuse with black speckald hoochie.
I've been calling it the trough. Lots of good action in there. I think it's safe to say they're everywhere at one point or another. Only problem is if there's nothing distinguishable about the area you're in then it won't get a cool name like the Hump or the Bell. So there you have it. You were fishing THE TROUGH. You're welcome ;). Sounds like a good time, congrats.

i actually only fish bait and with 2 4/0 gami’s !! Bent to many trebles back in the day and lost fish! Cut plug herring two 5/0’s ! I watch this forum and don’t post much because everytime some person has to turn on a fellow fisherman even though he is fishing within the rules . We need to start getting some solidarity and focusing on the main problems!! If we don’t each year we will get slowly stript of it before we are not even Aloud to do it! Just my 2 cents

Quick question, how busy has MacDonald Boat launch been lately? Planning going out tomorrow. Thanks for any replies :)

Drove over to Mcdonald beach yesterday only one trailer in the parking lot and they looked like maybe they were doing some maintanance to the leg. At least one launch is opened thank goodness

Thank you Butch and Totally unexpected for the updated info on Mac launch. Definitely heading out tomorrow.

Out yesterday between RC and worlcombe. Into 20 fish. Most fish caught in about 250-300 ft of water at 120ft - 140ft. Pretty equally divided between 4” bigeye spoon and a 4” Irish cream off lemon lime flasher. Notables were about 15,12, with a few 8-10 and the rest unders. Flat beauty day and constant action. Went from fishing 3 rods to 2 so had time to enjoy a bevy.

I always see a bunch of prawn traps between Cowans and RC so thought I’d try in that vicinity. I was closer to the Cowans end down about 270 and a virtual blank in two traps. Not only that but the traps were covered in mud. I always see traps along that stretch so I must need to head further towards RC. Anyone with prawning experience in that area? Back out tomorrow. Wind looks favorable again.

Out yesterday between RC and worlcombe. Into 20 fish. Most fish caught in about 250-300 ft of water at 120ft - 140ft. Pretty equally divided between 4” bigeye spoon and a 4” Irish cream off lemon lime flasher. Notables were about 15,12, with a few 8-10 and the rest unders. Flat beauty day and constant action. Went from fishing 3 rods to 2 so had time to enjoy a bevy.
Yabadaba doo! What a day!!

Had a solid bite on at Thrasher today at lunchtime. Was there for 40mins and got three to the boat. One on an Outfitter Skinny G at 127’, two on blue splatterbacks at 159’. Was fishing fairly close in.

Where all 3 of legal size? Were you in the 200 to 250ft contour? How was the water conditions there today?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back