Howe Sound alternatives to chinook?

Samson

I've lived on Gambier Island for 4 years now and have had good luck prawning and crabbing. When the pinks run, I usually head out for a few trips to the mouths of various creeks and manage to bring a few fish home.

Over the past few years I've picked a few calm days and tossed my manual downrigger over the side with various bits of bait, spoons, and flashers in areas like Hole In The Wall and Anvil / Defense. I have NEVER caught a salmon (aside from the aforementioned pinks).

Now that I have too much time on my hands, I am wondering if there is any other salmon that can be retained (assuming that Chinook is closed again??) around Howe Sound at this time of year. I have easy access to anywhere around Bowen, Gambier, and Anvil. I'd love to spend some time on the water in the next week, and it would be great to avoid the grocery store and actually bring a salmon or two home. Am I dreaming? Without the Chinook as an option are the other salmon a needle in a haystack at this time of year? Are there many flounder around these parts?

While prawning over the past month I have seen bait balls on my fishfinder and lots of sea lions feasting on herring.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Chinook are closed (well, non-retention). I don't think you'll be seeing other species of salmon around for a while yet (months)

Have a look at the regulations here for other fish openings. Rockfish and lingcod are closed (ie no fishing, no retention). Flounder and sole are open.
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html

It may be just your word choices in text here, but your message comes across as pretty clueless about the regulations.

Chinook are closed (well, non-retention). I don't think you'll be seeing other species of salmon around for a while yet (months)

Have a look at the regulations here for other fish openings. Rockfish and lingcod are closed (ie no fishing, no retention). Flounder and sole are open.
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html

It may be just your word choices in text here, but your message comes across as pretty clueless about the regulations.

I thought my words might come across that way, and was going to write a disclaimer. I do know the regulations and check for updates before I go out on the water hence why I wrote "without chinook as an option" but I do see I wrote "assuming Chinook is closed again??" so I can see how I might seem clueless. I am, admittedly, clueless (but trying to learn) about what fish there are in what seasons and what legal options might be available to me (i.e flounder but NOT rockfish) at this time of year. Thanks re. your advice about likely not seeing other species for months...that might save me a lot of fuel and disappointment particularly since I have no interest in hooking Chinook inadvertently.

I've lived on Gambier Island for 4 years now and have had good luck prawning and crabbing. When the pinks run, I usually head out for a few trips to the mouths of various creeks and manage to bring a few fish home.

Over the past few years I've picked a few calm days and tossed my manual downrigger over the side with various bits of bait, spoons, and flashers in areas like Hole In The Wall and Anvil / Defense. I have NEVER caught a salmon (aside from the aforementioned pinks).

Now that I have too much time on my hands, I am wondering if there is any other salmon that can be retained (assuming that Chinook is closed again??) around Howe Sound at this time of year. I have easy access to anywhere around Bowen, Gambier, and Anvil. I'd love to spend some time on the water in the next week, and it would be great to avoid the grocery store and actually bring a salmon or two home. Am I dreaming? Without the Chinook as an option are the other salmon a needle in a haystack at this time of year? Are there many flounder around these parts?

While prawning over the past month I have seen bait balls on my fishfinder and lots of sea lions feasting on herring.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Later in May you can run into some of those little Bluebacks (Capilano Coho) off the front of Bowen.

Are you fishing out of something big enough to make the crossing to the gulf islands? As mentioned above, some good options for bottom fishing coming up May 1st.

Are you fishing out of something big enough to make the crossing to the gulf islands? As mentioned above, some good options for bottom fishing coming up May 1st.
I have a 22' alumaweld blackhawk 202 that I have been using in Howe Sound for the past 5 years. I've made one trip up to Desolation Sound but, aside from that, I've always stayed tucked in behind Bowen and up to Squamish. I commute almost daily in the boat between Gambier and Lions Bay including through most of the winter so I have seen some good storms and never felt spooked. That being said, I try not to cross when the wind is above 30+ knots. I honestly have no idea how a boat my size would react in more open water heading towards the gulf islands. The day we went to desolation sound was a glassy as the ocean can be.

I have a 22' alumaweld blackhawk 202 that I have been using in Howe Sound for the past 5 years. I've made one trip up to Desolation Sound but, aside from that, I've always stayed tucked in behind Bowen and up to Squamish. I commute almost daily in the boat between Gambier and Lions Bay including through most of the winter so I have seen some good storms and never felt spooked. That being said, I try not to cross when the wind is above 30+ knots. I honestly have no idea how a boat my size would react in more open water heading towards the gulf islands. The day we went to desolation sound was a glassy as the ocean can be.
When I first started out on my own I fished out of a 21 foot maxum, arguably a lake boat. Ran from Cresent beach to poilier pass tons of times. That being said there were a lot of times I poked out and turned around because it was too ugly to go. Pick your times and stay safe, I wouldn’t hesitate to run across in that boat. Definitely opens up some opportunity. Our regulations make us have to travel to find opportunity these days.

When I first started out on my own I fished out of a 21 foot maxum, arguably a lake boat. Ran from Cresent beach to poilier pass tons of times. That being said there were a lot of times I poked out and turned around because it was too ugly to go. Pick your times and stay safe, I wouldn’t hesitate to run across in that boat. Definitely opens up some opportunity. Our regulations make us have to travel to find opportunity these days.
Thanks for the vote of confidence...at least confidence in the boat ;). I was planning on venturing further afield this late spring if I see a good stretch of weather When regulations give you lemons...

Back