2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, was off Sandheads/Banana crabbing yesterday. There was at least two commercial crab boats working the area. I thought comm crab didn't open till beginning of June. Can't really find any info on this. Also no keepers, all just undersized .

In reply to the boat launch situation as of yesterday Mcdonald beach was opened as well as sunset Marina as far as i know the rest are closed with the exception of possibly Steveston...

This is a CATCH and RELEASE Fishery.

I would love to know why people are using nets and boarding these fish right now?

Get a gaff with an appropriate sized handle and release these fish. If you are fishing Hoochies tie with 3/0 or 4/0 singles in tandem or a 4/0 single off the swivel. If you are fishing spoons use a 3/0 or 4/0.

Do not use bait at this time of year....you’re just wasting, time, money, and hurting the fish with a treble.

End of rant.

I would love to know why people are using nets and boarding these fish right now?

Get a gaff with an appropriate sized handle and release these fish. If you are fishing Hoochies tie with 3/0 or 4/0 singles in tandem or a 4/0 single off the swivel. If you are fishing spoons use a 3/0 or 4/0.

Do not use bait at this time of year....you’re just wasting, time, money, and hurting the fish with a treble.

End of rant.
your very right just use a gaff to release the fish take a quick pic with it still in the water less handling as possible and use a gaff to release no need to net the fish I just been using a lighthouse 3.5 inch derby winner spoon and a 3.5 inch lighthouse big eye royal flash they been working well

End of rant.

go back to your hole

Was at the hump yesterday mid-day. Lots of unders and 4 that would have been a bit above legal - 3 marked hatchery fish, one "wild". All between 150'-175' on spoons.

This is second hand info - but heard a police boat was at south Bowen on Sunday checking boats and giving out $750 fines per head to individuals on boats that did not live together and thus not practising social distancing. Now is not the time to invite a buddy fishing. You will give them an excuse to shut us down if you do.

End of rant.
You can fish bait without a trouble and sometimes its not a waste of time

We were in Howe sound up by lions bay got buzzed by a high speed zodiac coming towards us then the wife, kids, dogs and I all waved and it took of zig zagging it’s way up towards Squamish.

Was at the hump yesterday mid-day. Lots of unders and 4 that would have been a bit above legal - 3 marked hatchery fish, one "wild". All between 150'-175' on spoons.

This is second hand info - but heard a police boat was at south Bowen on Sunday checking boats and giving out $750 fines per head to individuals on boats that did not live together and thus not practising social distancing. Now is not the time to invite a buddy fishing. You will give them an excuse to shut us down if you do.

RCMP is heavy in the gulf islands too. I got stopped on Saturday near Sydney. Someone else I know got stopped by the same boat the next day in Cresent beach. Not the time to be inviting anyone out for sure.

I tried the hump on Sunday arriving at 830am. Fished for about 1.5 hours and managed what looked like a legal size, released at the boat. 150 feet, no bananas in 500 feet of water. Two other boats keeping their distance but I did see some nets out. 52 prawns in the end and 4 keeper crabs.

Was out on Monday and started off fishing south bowen.. Did a few passes without any hits and decide to try something that I haven't done before. Instead of picking up lines and heading over to the hump, I left lines in the water and trolled south from RC to the north east corner of the hump. About halfway to the hump in approx 700feet of water the portside rod starts bouncing. Not a huge hit but there was a fish on. Grabbed the rod and pulled the line off the release clip..... Felt a few small tugs and I was almost certain it was an undersized and so I decided to give the rod to the wife to let her have some fun reeling it in. The line was set at 170 on the downrigger. As she got about 50% of the line reeled, the reel starts peeling line. I look over and see that the rod is bent over and the wife looks terrified and confused. 1st thought that went through my head was that my rod and reel was going to end up at the bottom of the sea. Line peeled for what seemed like 20 Secs or so... She starts yelling at me to take the rod from her as she wants nothing to do with the experience. I grabbed the rod and eventually get the fish to the surface... Looked like a good 15-18 pounder.. I shout to the wife to get me my gaff so that I can invert the hook boat side for a quick release. before I can finish telling her to get the gaff the fish does a nose dive and takes another run straight down and then all of a sudden decides to head back to the surface at which point my line goes slack and fish is off... What a great looking and healthy fish... Definately got the heart rate going.. Double glow flasher on chartreuse with black speckald hoochie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back