All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one concern is the spread but the other concern is that people may already have covid with no symptoms and then Develop them while they are at their cabins and then Use the local medical system.

I think one concern is the spread but the other concern is that people may already have covid with no symptoms and then Develop them while they are at their cabins and then Use the local medical system.
I get that...but I think for a four-day weekend we're into really obscure, low-probability events here.

You know how many people are hospitalized for this, province-wide? 128. Okay, yes, it's possible that someone would feel perfectly fine, go to their cabin, then wake up on day two so sick they can't go home. But out of 5.1 million people, we have 128 hospitalized for this right now. If I was at my cabin this weekend, and I started feeling unwell, I'd just go home. I assume this is true for most people...I mean sure, there'll be a couple of people who'd tough it out and then suddenly need to go to the hospital but the thing is, on a typical long weekend in this province, do we not have random stupid stuff happening which requires helo medevac? I bet we do, and probably, on account of everything, this weekend we'll have less than average. So this remote possibility that we have to send a helo for Rob and his ambiguous jacket just doesn't really concern me that much.

It's not that I don't think the wuhan flu is a big deal - I do, I get it. I'm friends with a bunch of people who work on this stuff. My wife worked for the communicable disease and pandemic unit of her agency before some idiot got her pregnant and moved her to the Island. I'm super cognizant of the numbers involved here and I've been following it closely from day one. I don't do two metres of separation, I do like ten. I glove up. I surgeon-wash constantly. I'm on the clean train.

But I think as a society we're letting ourselves get spun up over remote possibilities, when instead, we could focus on pretty simple steps to let us live our lives in a relatively normal way, while still hammering down the curve on this thing.

I get that...but I think for a four-day weekend we're into really obscure, low-probability events here.

You know how many people are hospitalized for this, province-wide? 128. Okay, yes, it's possible that someone would feel perfectly fine, go to their cabin, then wake up on day two so sick they can't go home. But out of 5.1 million people, we have 128 hospitalized for this right now. If I was at my cabin this weekend, and I started feeling unwell, I'd just go home. I assume this is true for most people...I mean sure, there'll be a couple of people who'd tough it out and then suddenly need to go to the hospital but the thing is, on a typical long weekend in this province, do we not have random stupid stuff happening which requires helo medevac? I bet we do, and probably, on account of everything, this weekend we'll have less than average. So this remote possibility that we have to send a helo for Rob and his ambiguous jacket just doesn't really concern me that much.

It's not that I don't think the wuhan flu is a big deal - I do, I get it. I'm friends with a bunch of people who work on this stuff. My wife worked for the communicable disease and pandemic unit of her agency before some idiot got her pregnant and moved her to the Island. I'm super cognizant of the numbers involved here and I've been following it closely from day one. I don't do two metres of separation, I do like ten. I glove up. I surgeon-wash constantly. I'm on the clean train.

But I think as a society we're letting ourselves get spun up over remote possibilities, when instead, we could focus on pretty simple steps to let us live our lives in a relatively normal way, while still hammering down the curve on this thing.

Oh for crying out loud....stop sounding so god damned reasonable!!! Prudence, not panic, is my philosophy. Seems to be working out OK so far.

Depending on what people do, I don't necessarily care if they're out and vacationing. I used to leave Vancouver on my own boat, go to my island property, and never talk to a single person along the way, unless I put gas in the boat.

If someone drives to the ferry, stays in their vehicle, and drives to their cabin and stays there, who's at risk? Nobody, really. That's a really low-risk activity.

Rather than saying "nobody go anywhere, everyone stay home" I think it makes more sense to say "avoid all human contact". Want to swim in the ocean? Go nuts. Want to drive the Duffy lake-fraser canyon loop? Enjoy. But DO NOT contact other humans. I think they should be saying "only go places if you can do so without contacting anyone. Need groceries? Bring them. Need booze? If you don't bring it with you, you can't have it. Stop contacting people." That's the only risky activity, and confusing that with "stay home" just brings out the control freaks who want to tell others how to live their lives.

One friend of mine called this whole situation "The Rapture of the Karens", as in, all the bitter women who want to speak to the manager about how their coffee is five degrees too hot, now get to judge everyone who leaves their house.

Just stay out of contact with other people. The average age of people in BC who've died from this is 86? That's above the average life expectancy in BC. Be careful, don't panic, and just stay as far from other people as you can. None of this is rocket science.
The problem is most people won’t be able to keep to your guidelines

It's also that when you want something you don't ever ask for exactly what you want. You ask for more and expect less. There are plenty of guys completely ignoring all of this so it's up to the rest of the population to make up the difference. Unfortunately.

Have you been able to?

My experience is that the average person thinks he's well above average. If you have been able to do it, chances are so has your neighbour.

I understand the perspective of "we have to tell everyone to drive 30 if we want them to drive 50." But I don't agree.

I think a much bigger problem is when average people begin to realize that your information can't be trusted. How many people here thought it was a good idea for the government to tell everyone that marijuana was the devil's drug? That one taste would addict you and destroy your life? I bet not many. Definitely not me.

No, I demand to be treated like an adult. Give me the truth, or admit you're comfortable lying to me in order to get the behaviour you desire, so I can remember to vote against you in the future.

Have you been able to?

My experience is that the average person thinks he's well above average. If you have been able to do it, chances are so has your neighbour.

I understand the perspective of "we have to tell everyone to drive 30 if we want them to drive 50." But I don't agree.

I think a much bigger problem is when average people begin to realize that your information can't be trusted. How many people here thought it was a good idea for the government to tell everyone that marijuana was the devil's drug? That one taste would addict you and destroy your life? I bet not many. Definitely not me.

No, I demand to be treated like an adult. Give me the truth, or admit you're comfortable lying to me in order to get the behaviour you desire, so I can remember to vote against you in the future.
Yes. I’ve been able to physically distance, disinfect public use items like gas pumps and bank machine buttons. Glove up, wash my hands etc. I’ve even kept my construction business going with stringent rules and extra cleaning. I live on the island though, and would prefer that no mainlanders(including my family) come here. Especially for holiday.

Have you been able to?

Well they flat out lied about the masks in the beginning to stock up on what they had. I could understand their thinking there.

If everyone had of taken it serious for 2-4 weeks and stayed in 100% this would pretty much would have all gone away in BC aside from some repatriations that have a mandatory isolation order. I'm sure we all can say we know someone that's out and about and it's those people that are going to make this go on for a long time. I think his frustration is doing the right thing and seeing groups of people out, drives me nuts as well. It's hard staying locked down at home doing your part and seeing the odd person not. The numbers are what they are because most people are taking it serious, the low numbers continuing are caused by the small few that won't and are contributing to a long drawn out problem. Old folks homes are another thing but they are able to be isolated and it's a horrible situation for those folks stuck in there. If a person cares about the population that's at risk and the economy stay home, one of those things must have to resonated. It's way better to be over prepared than not, just because there's extra beds in the hospital sitting empty doesn't mean it's okay to be a careless person.

All week the message from Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.'s provincial health officer, was stay at home this weekend and avoid any unnecessary travel. Apparently some are undermining this message with their loophole arguments. Disapointing but I guess that's to be expected.

Last edited:
Appears the TC knows we'll remember who stuck close to the truth:
https://www.timescolonist.com/news/...own-dramatically-uptick-on-weekend-1.24116652
CBC is coming clean too:
In an emailed statement, BC Ferries spokesperson Deborah Marshall said the busiest sailing on Friday had only 408 passengers. That vessel, which travels between Tsawwassen and Swartz Bay, is licensed to carry 2,100 people.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...ple-staying-home-b-c-health-officer-1.5530117

Last edited:
So my understanding is that we are to fish locally and only with others that live in the same home.
There is much confusion on this as many take the order that has been repeatedly worded as we “can fish with family and people from same home only” as allowing family from other residences. I see no difference between that or setting out with a Bud? Both are connecting multiple circles and that is what we are trying to avoid.

I take it as only from same home and that makes sense to me. Do I have this right???

So my understanding is that we are to fish locally and only with others that live in the same home.
There is much confusion on this as many take the order that has been repeatedly worded as we “can fish with family and people from same home only” as allowing family from other residences. I see no difference between that or setting out with a Bud? Both are connecting multiple circles and that is what we are trying to avoid.

I take it as only from same home and that makes sense to me. Do I have this right???
Ya man. Your immediate family that you live with in same residence only. Wife and kids kinda deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back