Prawn Heads for Prawn bait?

Yes. Prawns are cannibals. Freeze the heads solid, put them in a bag and crush them with a hammer. That way you don't have to worry about the dagger like thorns sticking out of their heads. Then mix the pulverized prawn heads with your other baits. If you have extra holes drilled in your bait jugs some of this pulverized material will leak out of the bait jugs, attracting the prawns to the traps.

I did this afternoon! Was the only thing I had left for bait in the freezer so added some frozen heads to the traps with the can of London Drugs cat food that had already soaked the night before. Produced 120 Jumbos in 2 traps on a 5 hour soak!
Scientific evidence is evidence that serves to either support or counter a scientifictheory or hypothesis. Such evidence is expected to be empirical evidence and interpretation in accordance with scientific method. Standards for scientific evidence vary according to the field of inquiry, but the strength of scientific evidence is generally based on the results of statistical analysis and the strength of scientific controls.

So do it again with no Cat food :p

Scientific evidence is evidence that serves to either support or counter a scientifictheory or hypothesis. Such evidence is expected to be empirical evidence and interpretation in accordance with scientific method. Standards for scientific evidence vary according to the field of inquiry, but the strength of scientific evidence is generally based on the results of statistical analysis and the strength of scientific controls.

So do it again with no Cat food :p
maybe I'll try tomorrow, just for you Rain City!:)

maybe I'll try tomorrow, just for you Rain City!:)
Yessssss. :)

Honestly though this is kind of exciting. We prawned last summer at my buddies place up the coast and each time we checked the traps (once a day) we brought out new bait. I'm thinking in that situation it would be sweet to just clean them and reset with heads alone. Anyhoo good luck!

Great information I never thought about using them for prawn or crab bait. I always send them back down on a jig for lingers.

They work as a stand alone bait for prawns. Not just added to other baits. It's all my buddy uses that lives up by Lund and does a lot of Prawning. He's who got me into using them for bait.

Awesome thanks! @Nahee27 you're off the hook!

I'm OCD with baits so I spread my prawn heads around between using them for fish stocks, crab bait and prawn bait but I mix mine in the prawn bait with pellets, Herring, and fish oils. I think you can't have enough scents getting out when it comes to prawns. They work very well stand alone for crab as well but my go to for crab is still salmon or chicken skins. They seem to beat any baits when I do comparisons in the same areas crabbing.

I'm OCD with baits so I spread my prawn heads around between using them for fish stocks, crab bait and prawn bait but I mix mine in the prawn bait with pellets, Herring, and fish oils. I think you can't have enough scents getting out when it comes to prawns. They work very well stand alone for crab as well but my go to for crab is still salmon or chicken skins. They seem to beat any baits when I do comparisons in the same areas crabbing.
I agree about crab. I'm 100% chicken now. Don't even bother with anything else.

Well @Rain City, I tried again with and without the cat food... and while the heads alone did work let's just say I'm always gonna add that 60 cent can of cat food!
Love it thank you. Supports my somewhat psychotic method of cat food plus herring plus pellets plus prawn bait oil :confused:

I haven't tried prawn heads for prawn bait, but will give it a whirl this Summer. That is assuming I can buy my NR fishing license! Prawn heads for crab bait is awesome, along with some northern pikeminnow (whole). That is my magic sauce! Prawn bait, hard to beat Carlyle canned cat food (no respectable cat will eat it though!) mixed with prawn pellets and some Meow mix dried cat food in the Seafood Medley mix.

Back