2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying people with language barriers are doing it all the time at a particular ramp with out any stats for that location is racist bias. I'm not saying anyone is a racist or there aren't people with language barriers breaking the regs. There are people who really know the regs who constantly break them here on the island and other parts of BC. Almost all Guides are amazing but I know a couple who are plain crooks that break the regs all the time and are in and out of court. I won't post any of their court records or news paper articles here because we all know there are tons of infractions and they all need to be stopped. How about taking phots and reporting all the people who are purposefully breaking the regs to the DFO and keep this to real fishing reports. I won't respond again.

Going to end this discussion on poachers here. This happens at least a few times each year and as @kaelc points out, this is a fishing reports thread and poachers come in all sizes, shapes and ethnic backgrounds. Please report any poaching incidents to the proper authorities and let them do their jobs. Discussing it here just leads to the same result of derailing fishing report threads and innuendo that serves no good purpose.

So I went squat lobster fishing today in the Saanich inlet. I thought, since I’d run the gauntlet of prawn trap floats, why not give them prawns a break! o_O

First time prawning ever for me today and I dropped the traps too deep. Ah well. Made for some interesting squeals from my kids though. Haha. My daughter wanted to bring one home as a pet. Ahhh no. I’ve found dried up worms in the house before. Don’t want to step on a dried one of those! :D

Odd looking things. Are edible as I understand but so little meat on them. Looks to be maybe 25% of the body. They all went back.

Beautiful day out there today. Nice to get out on the water with the family.

CC62A754-BA14-411B-A67F-4500A699DE3B.png

So I went squat lobster fishing today in the Saanich inlet. I thought, since I’d run the gauntlet of prawn trap floats, why not give them prawns a break! o_O

First time prawning ever for me today and I dropped the traps too deep. Ah well. Made for some interesting squeals from my kids though. Haha. My daughter wanted to bring one home as a pet. Ahhh no. I’ve found dried up worms in the house before. Don’t want to step on a dried one of those! :D

Odd looking things. Are edible as I understand but so little meat on them. Looks to be maybe 25% of the body. They all went back.

View attachment 51879
Try a little shallower sometimes 10’ makes a difference

View attachment 51879
What was your depth?

Too deep for the inlet in my opinion and possibly to muddy/ flat of a bottom. They are called mud ducks for a reason.

Damn. Ok good to know. Thanks. I was in line with a few other traps so I thought I was ok. I’ll go shallower next time. Cheers

Yep,Slabbedout has it right.I've been fishing the inlet for 20+ years and the deepest you should throw traps in is no more than 240-250 ft. and I find from 200-225 ft. is optimal for the area around Deep Cove to Pat Bay where I usually fish.It's different everywhere so don't take those depths as gospel in other areas.I prawn at Tent Island and regularly drop my traps in 300-340 ft. there and do really well with zero squat lobsters.

Yep,Slabbedout has it right.I've been fishing the inlet for 20+ years and the deepest you should throw traps in is no more than 240-250 ft. and I find from 200-225 ft. is optimal for the area around Deep Cove to Pat Bay where I usually fish.It's different everywhere so don't take those depths as gospel in other areas.I prawn at Tent Island and regularly drop my traps in 300-340 ft. there and do really well with zero squat lobsters.

This is great info! Thanks for sharing your depths. I’ll definitely try on the low 20o range next time I’m out.

Cheers guys.

Talking with friends at the marina today,sounds like 5 of us will be fishing tomorrow.All 5 in their own boats by themselves hoping to get a halibut.:):(

Talking with friends at the marina today,sounds like 5 of us will be fishing tomorrow.All 5 in their own boats by themselves hoping to get a halibut.:):(

I heard police were out in the inlet on Sunday checking not for licenses or gear, but for social distancing on the boats! 170 buck fine for infringement. Fun times.

Btw Tsartlip boat launch is closed as of April 17th, this Wed.

Good Luck Hali fishing bouys!

Got out today off Victoria early, dropped a couple crab traps around Sax Point them straight out to 250 ft and dropped a prawn trap. Proceeded to drift jig for Hali. The drifts were perfect, about.06mph from 260ft-230 then back out again. Had 4 drifts in 2 1/2 hrs ,snagged bottom twice and lost some gear only caught a Sculpin that gave his life. No Hali luv again, still searching for my first. Pulled prawn trap and had 50 big guys so was pleased with that. Trolled back to the crab pots with no fish bites and had 2 full traps kept 4. Some bigger ones were soft I’ll get them next week. Had a US police boat scooting around looking at traps then they pulled one and left. I’m thinking they must have dropped it but who knows. Was great to get back out and would’ve stayed longer but didn’t want to retrieve my boat at low tide as I hate having my truck deep into the chuck. Yes you read it right 50 prawns whoop woop!

I heard police were out in the inlet on Sunday checking not for licenses or gear, but for social distancing on the boats! 170 buck fine for infringement. Fun times.

Btw Tsartlip boat launch is closed as of April 17th, this Wed.

Good Luck Hali fishing bouys!
I wonder if that would stand up in court? If you are on a boat larger than 6 ft and who isn’t, it seems a tad silly. When out walking, people pass closer than 6’ and they aren’t fined. Anyone have a link to the actual order or is it a recommendation? I have looked in order to see the wording to no avail.

I wonder if that would stand up in court? If you are on a boat larger than 6 ft and who isn’t, it seems a tad silly. When out walking, people pass closer than 6’ and they aren’t fined. Anyone have a link to the actual order or is it a recommendation? I have looked in order to see the wording to no avail.
Sounds like rumour? I don’t think there is an enforceable fine in BC at this time for not social distancing. Is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back