Pacific angler prawn/crab limit note

I take my 3 year old son fishing with me as much as possible and he loves the experience of crabbing and prawning. He helps out every way possible and loves learning about all things fishing. The best part about it is he gets to eat his catch and loves it. Please explain to me why he isn’t eligible to harvest crabs or prawns even though he is a license holder and has his own traps?

I agree... some people have interpreted the regulations in some sort of manner which makes no sense to me... If your kids(no matter how old they are) have a license, they are entitled to their quota. Simple as that... Anyone who says that a dad/uncle/grandfather can't help a kid haul in their traps or prepare the traps is out to lunch or they've never had kids.

Works the other way around as well.. If DFO were to tell me that I can't help my elderly retired dad haul in his crab or prawn trap and doing so would make the catch illegal, I'd tell them pretty quickly where they can go..

Last edited:
DFO wants the kids involved with hauling the trap, I get the kids to manage the rope while I bring up the trap. The kids are very proud to show DFO they have a licences, DFO has never questioned who caught what crab and the fact I have 2 traps with only my name.
100% agreed....same with me in the past

right, 2 year olds bringing in traps and having fun with dad and mom

100% agree get them going early; they will love you their whole life

pure magic

to be the devil's advocate tho.....maybe the other side of the equation being "show me that 2 year old that eats 125 prawns" in a season, let alone a week

yet away we go week for his next 125

rinse and repeat

i think you guys may be fooling yourselves if you think you're 'licencing' up your 2 year old for the sole purpose of experiencing fishing

same thing happens in hunting camp too; it's how we were wired...........

i'm 87 years old and as my dear sainted mother would say "you can't bullsht a bullshtr "

right, 2 year olds bringing in traps and having fun with dad and mom

100% agree get them going early; they will love you their whole life

pure magic

to be the devil's advocate tho.....maybe the other side of the equation being "show me that 2 year old that eats 125 prawns" in a season, let alone a week

yet away we go week for his next 125

rinse and repeat

i think you guys may be fooling yourselves if you think you're 'licencing' up your 2 year old for the sole purpose of experiencing fishing

same thing happens in hunting camp too; it's how we were wired...........

i'm 87 years old and as my dear sainted mother would say "you can't bullsht a bullshtr "
I like your mom! Sounds like my dearly departed grandma

I agree... some people have interpreted the regulations in some sort of manner which makes no sense to me... If your kids(no matter how old they are) have a license, they are entitled to their quota. Simple as that... Anyone who says that a dad/uncle/grandfather can't help a kid haul in their traps or prepare the traps is out to lunch or they've never had kids.

Works the other way around as well.. If DFO were to tell me that I can't help my elderly retired dad haul in his crab or prawn trap and doing so would make the catch illegal, I'd tell them pretty quickly where they can go..
Helping an individual with limited ability should be celebrated. The law is well established that an individual, no matter the age, cannot be discriminated against because of physical limitations. A license holder of any age is entitled to all the benefits that accrue under the terms of that license, even when assisted. So please continue to assist your licensed 2 year old daughter or 80 year old Dad enjoy harvesting their crabs or prawns.

If the regulations are to prohibit people of a certain age from having daily/possession limits, they need to state that clearly.
They do not currently state that, so it is fine, morally and legally.
Why are we even arguing about this?
There are one or two issues of greater importance.

This original post started from an informal screenshot text based off a website from a fishing store, not an official DFO fisheries notice or website post. It is up to each fisher to know the rules before we head on the water, there is no different rules to my knowledge for a Junior fisherman than that of a legal aged individual. The below regulations are direct from the BC sport fishing regulations and apply to ALL FISHERS, I would just make sure I was fishing legally to the standard of every fisher on my boat to the targeted species. If you don't like it take it to court if ticketed and make the officer explain it to the judge and you may set some case law...or the judge may up your fine but thats the gamble going to court.

Gear Restrictions
38 No person shall fish for fish of a species set out in column I of an item of Schedule V other than with a type of gear or by a method set out in column III of that item.

• 39 (1) No person shall fish for crab with more than two ring nets, dip nets and crab traps in the aggregate.
    • (2) No person shall fish for crab with a ring net or crab trap unless a tag, float or buoy that bears the operator’s name is attached to the net or trap.
    • (3) Despite subsection (2), if two crab traps are attached to one ground-line, it is sufficient to attach a tag, float or buoy that bears the operator’s name to one end of the ground-line.

• SOR/2002-380, s. 5

• 40 (1) No person shall fish for shrimp with more than four shrimp traps.
    • (2) No person shall fish for shrimp with a shrimp trap unless a tag, float or buoy that bears the operator’s name is attached to the trap.
    • (3) Despite subsection (2), if two traps are attached to one ground-line, it is sufficient to attach a tag, float or buoy that bears the operator’s name to one end of the ground-line.
To really understand this set of regs, we need to know what “operator” means in terms of the regs.
I have always read that to mean the operator of the boat. Without a clear “definition of terms” this reg is vague, at best.

I see some disturbing understandings on here... Your fishing licence doesn't Entitle you to a quota or limit of anything. A fishing licence allows you to fish. That fishing is limited by daily, possession, and sometimes annual limits.
Kids should be out fishing and participating in the fishing process. They should as much as possible help with the process. We have all seen the situation where the Wife or kids are on the boat but dont do anything related to the fishing. The sole reason they are there is so that Dad can "load Up' That is unacceptable.
Continue to take kids fishing and introduce them to the lifestyle.. Dont teach them the loopholes and entitled attitude ...

Just my two cents
CR Greg

I see some disturbing understandings on here... Your fishing licence doesn't Entitle you to a quota or limit of anything. A fishing licence allows you to fish. That fishing is limited by daily, possession, and sometimes annual limits.
Kids should be out fishing and participating in the fishing process. They should as much as possible help with the process. We have all seen the situation where the Wife or kids are on the boat but dont do anything related to the fishing. The sole reason they are there is so that Dad can "load Up' That is unacceptable.
Continue to take kids fishing and introduce them to the lifestyle.. Dont teach them the loopholes and entitled attitude ...

Just my two cents
CR Greg
I get it that you don't like a certain connotation of the word but it is used aptly:
en·ti·tle
/inˈtīdl,enˈtīdl/

verb
  1. 1.
    give (someone) a legal right or a just claim to receive or do something.
A license does entitle a person to fish and to keep the harvest as allowed under the regulations. I agree that family participation should be encouraged but dispute the urban myth that family is only there so Dad can "load up". My grandkids fish with me and frankly they do not help me much but we all enjoy the shared experience. Taking fish or prawns home is always a bonus.

Last edited:
the government has absolutely no qualms taking my money when i’m filling out an annual license for my self, my wife and my two kids.

why is this even a thread? like, seriously?
That isn't the thread it's a derailment. The issue was with float ID not kid's license limits.

I don’t get why people are making this so complicated. The name of the fisher has to be on the traps. Heck if it’s your kid you likely share the same last name right? The reasoning makes perfect sense ,you can’t be caught pulling or stealing someone else’s traps or fishing more traps than you’re entitled to. If you use someone else’s, tape your name or whoever’s fishing them, on them so it’s clear who is fishing them and DFO knows. Certainly the system only works if people are being honest.
These threads often sink to the level of “ how to beat the system” I honestly can’t see why this is an issue unless people plan on fishing a dozen traps with random names on them to beat the system.

Cabin fever folks? This has never been an issue. All my time guiding, with young children on the boat and DFO checking our catch at the dock. Yup, dock full of 40-80 lb hali with a few 5-6 year olds as part of a family outing. With limits most days, nothing has happened, the DFO people were very profesional checking catches and licenses and being on their way. Someone doesn't have to be able to eat 125 prawns to justify a limit either. Nowhere in the regulations does it say that someone must be of fit able body to pull traps or work gear. I have, in my tenure as a guide, had people who could hardly hold a spatula due to health issues land fish with a great deal of assitance from me. I have never seen anything but correct number of licenses, help by license holders on the boat at the time determine limits. Period. This is even during the glory meat fishery days of Swiftsure.

I saw the part about the guy getting tagged who helped his kid wading for crab, but seriously, has anything ever came of this? I bet the DFO officer would look like an butt in court, perhaps it was a young guy trying to make a name for himself?

I've never seen DFO make an issue over floats that had some name on it belonging to someone on the boat. This includes Renfrew and Sooke where I have yet to see anything but the boat or skippers name and number on the float. I'm going out on a limb to say the name on the float is more of a requirement to deal with trap piracy, IE, Someone named Dave holding up another anglers trap. Pretty cut and dried methinks.

My $0.02 .. Now out to do yard work around the boat sitting on the trailer because we don't have a !@#$%&! season this spring....

The reason why pacific angler posted this is because DFO was harassing guides in Vancouver about this
Right from the get-go why did we ever assume that a guy named Jason, who writes a blog for a tackle shop, was an authority on the interpretation of D.F.O. regulations?

Right from the get-go why did we ever assume that a guy named Jason, who writes a blog for a tackle shop, was an authority on the interpretation of D.F.O. regulations?
Because he's probably one of the most experienced rods in BC. He's writing a blog after a shift at his own shop then guides on the weekend all while fighting for our right to keep fishing. Also why.

Back