Axle shaft pitted

I think your exaggerating a bit, 2 speedy sleeves are around 75-100 bucks , don’t know where you can buy a good quality galvanized axle for anywhere near that. Keep in mind you are adding a better quality seal surface than a new axle as well

I priced an axle for my trailer last spring. Over 800 bucks for a 3,000 lb trailer.
For about 40 bucks each, I bought new spindles which were already fitted with a SS sleeve over the seal section of the spindle. Wasn’t a big deal cutting out the old damaged spindles & for $100.00 a local welder sewed it all back together for me. The only other expense was new bearings & seals & replacement U bolts for the ones I had to cut off.
A local chandler had the spindles in stock. The guy said they are made in a small machine shop Co. on the Island.

I think your exaggerating a bit, 2 speedy sleeves are around 75-100 bucks , don’t know where you can buy a good quality galvanized axle for anywhere near that. Keep in mind you are adding a better quality seal surface than a new axle as well

Perhaps a bit and my most recent purchases were not galvanized and I was in Alberta at the time close to a manufacturer however.. I doubt I would re-spindle an axle at these kinds of prices. Hate prepping weld for something that was galvanized, hate welding something that was galvanized.. I don't know if there are other suppliers around or what shipping would be worth.
https://www.boattrailerparts.com/3500lb-Capacity-Galvanized-Boat-Trailer-Axles_c_151.html

If the shipping isn’t too horrible, I would certainly go that route. Even at our exchange rate, that’s a good price.
I agree that galvanize is no fun to work with & I’ll need to scrub & repaint around the welds every season. Bit of a bother, but it gets me down on my knees to do a good inspection of the springs, etc.

Ive used the ones from Pacific that Wild Bill linked.

I place a baggie filled ice cubes on the spindle, warmed the sleeve on a warming plate for 10 min prior to a couple drops of Loctite and they tapped on easy.

Speedi's are a better quality SS with tighter machining tolerances but this isn't rocket science your only trying to clean up the seal area with a harder than stock surface to prevent future wear so.........for the price difference the offshore sleeves are a win in my books.

Yes spedi sleeve a better product but at $5 each,
$5 ones are thick, not nice SS. Probably a little to much seal preassure if you use stock seals but if your a short trip guy. You can afford to replace every time seals are replaced.
Spedi sleeves are so thin that driving them on in a manner that isn't outlined in the instructions might be a $50 mistake. Like outlined above the installation tool provided won't be much help with a spindle seal,surface.

Last edited:
Back