Pacific angler prawn/crab limit note

Your comments are too long.
I agree these are 2 different scenarios but if DNO chooses to enforce they need to clearly indicate on the license or on the DFO website the clear guidelines as to what can or can not be done with a Juvenile license. Currently the juvenile license states its free for a child under the age of 16. If DFO feels that anyone under the age of 3 for example, should not be entitled to a quota if they are on the boat because they technically are not old enough to partake in the activity, it should state so. Now that being said, I do not know of anyone who would take a 1 or 2 year old out for the sole reason to increase their quota. It's a secondary benefit if someone happens to be onboard with their parents but in my experience I rarely see anyone under the age of 2 on a boat loaded with crab/prawning/fishing gear. And if they are it would likely be a rare instances and on a day that was completely calm.

I agree these are 2 different scenarios but if DNO chooses to enforce they need to clearly indicate on the license or on the DFO website the clear guidelines as to what can or can not be done with a Juvenile license. Currently the juvenile license states its free for a child under the age of 16. If DFO feels that anyone under the age of 3 for example, should not be entitled to a quota if they are on the boat because they technically are not old enough to partake in the activity, it should state so. Now that being said, I do not know of anyone who would take a 1 or 2 year old out for the sole reason to increase their quota. It's a secondary benefit if someone happens to be onboard with their child but in my experience I rarely see anyone under the age of 2 on a boat loaded with crab/prawning/fishing gear. And if they are it would likely be a rare instances and on a day that was completely calm.

This original post started from an informal screenshot text based off a website from a fishing store, not an official DFO fisheries notice or website post. It is up to each fisher to know the rules before we head on the water, there is no different rules to my knowledge for a Junior fisherman than that of a legal aged individual. The below regulations are direct from the BC sport fishing regulations and apply to ALL FISHERS, I would just make sure I was fishing legally to the standard of every fisher on my boat to the targeted species. If you don't like it take it to court if ticketed and make the officer explain it to the judge and you may set some case law...or the judge may up your fine but thats the gamble going to court.

Gear Restrictions

38 No person shall fish for fish of a species set out in column I of an item of Schedule V other than with a type of gear or by a method set out in column III of that item.
  • 39 (1) No person shall fish for crab with more than two ring nets, dip nets and crab traps in the aggregate.

• (2) No person shall fish for crab with a ring net or crab trap unless a tag, float or buoy that bears the operator’s name is attached to the net or trap.

• (3) Despite subsection (2), if two crab traps are attached to one ground-line, it is sufficient to attach a tag, float or buoy that bears the operator’s name to one end of the ground-line.
  • SOR/2002-380, s. 5
  • 40 (1) No person shall fish for shrimp with more than four shrimp traps.

• (2) No person shall fish for shrimp with a shrimp trap unless a tag, float or buoy that bears the operator’s name is attached to the trap.

• (3) Despite subsection (2), if two traps are attached to one ground-line, it is sufficient to attach a tag, float or buoy that bears the operator’s name to one end of the ground-line.

Are we permitted to put only our family name's on the floats? I've been doing it past few years, website doesn't mention it needs your FULL name.

If you go into dfo charges 2019 there is a couple of “those people” with charged and fined with pulling a trap with nit there name on it. I agree it’s a stupid law I see if the kids is like 3 and the dad is trying to keep that kids limit I call bs on that but my 11 year old boy helps with pawning and crabbing

The rule is likely in place to ensure people only fish their traps and no one else's. If for example a guy gets caught pulling someone else’s traps the evidence is clearly there because they have someone else’s name on them. No using the excuse, I just borrowed these. Pretty cut and dried. Also it stops a guy from fishing a dozen traps simply by taking the neighbours kids out for a boat ride, unless of course he takes the time to mark their names on his floats and get them all licenses.

I don’t think if you are out with your young kids ( same last name and details) anyone will care. After all how can you prove whose traps the prawns or crab came out of? As long as you don’t exceed the personal limit and neither does anyone else. I prawn with a buddy, he has his own strings and the floats are labeled as such. If one of my kids comes out and my buddy stays ashore, we tape over my buddies name and replace it with my son’s details. Never had a problem.

I think the more reasonable precaution to take is to just make sure that everybody on board that is planning to retain anything has at least one float with their name on it. The idea that each specific buoy can only yield one daily limit is a little much. The other reason I can see for this is when you're in violation of the regs (no rot chord or something) they can fine the person who's name is on the buoy. Just like when they ask "who's fishing which rod?" When they roll up to a boat full of people and there are four rods out.

There are already enough restrictions and closures without folks like Pacific Angler interpreting something that’s not explicitly stated in the regs and trying to impose their interpretation on others. It is each of our responsibility to adhere to the published regs and fishery notices as they are written.

Cheers!

Ukee

If you go into dfo charges 2019 there is a couple of “those people” with charged and fined with pulling a trap with nit there name on it. I agree it’s a stupid law I see if the kids is like 3 and the dad is trying to keep that kids limit I call bs on that but my 11 year old boy helps with pawning and crabbing

I take my 3 year old son fishing with me as much as possible and he loves the experience of crabbing and prawning. He helps out every way possible and loves learning about all things fishing. The best part about it is he gets to eat his catch and loves it. Please explain to me why he isn’t eligible to harvest crabs or prawns even though he is a license holder and has his own traps?

I think the more reasonable precaution to take is to just make sure that everybody on board that is planning to retain anything has at least one float with their name on it. The idea that each specific buoy can only yield one daily limit is a little much. The other reason I can see for this is when you're in violation of the regs (no rot chord or something) they can fine the person who's name is on the buoy. Just like when they ask "who's fishing which rod?" When they roll up to a boat full of people and there are four rods out.
Actually I believe rods are different. One guy could be fishing all the four rods or any combination thereof as long as you stay within your catch limits.

Actually I believe rods are different. One guy could be fishing all the four rods or any combination thereof as long as you stay within your catch limits.
Yes I get that but if DFO pulls up and asks to see your hooks for instance they'll first ask who's rod is who's to know who to fine if they find a barbed hook.

DFO wants the kids involved with hauling the trap, I get the kids to manage the rope while I bring up the trap. The kids are very proud to show DFO they have a licences, DFO has never questioned who caught what crab and the fact I have 2 traps with only my name.

Back