All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Really-----???? Bunch of garbage. Are they worried the fallow deer will get the bug ?
They stopped him to confirm he wasn’t going somewhere he wasn’t supposed to. The hunting on Sidney Island has been more difficult this. The locals slaughtered 600 last year.

I wonder if these jobs in Nanaimo will be affected...:rolleyes:
21070386_web1_200324-NBU-Harmac_Pulp_order_1-1200x800.jpg

Nanaimo’s Harmac mill works to fill doubled pulp order for medical masks and gowns

Mar. 24, 2020

Production is heating up at Harmac Pacific to produce a special paper pulp used in the manufacture of disposable surgical masks, gowns and other medical products.

Those products, worn to help prevent the spread of disease, are in short supply due to the COVID-19 crisis and the U.S. customer that produces them has doubled its order for the K10S pulp.

“It’s a customer out of the States and we’ve been supplying them for years, but in light of what’s going on in the lack of medical supplies, they’ve doubled their order with us in the last week, so we’re doing everything we can to meet that demand,” said Levi Sampson, Harmac president.

Sampson said the Harmac mill is the world’s only producer of the particular grade of paper pulp used in the manufacture of surgical masks and gowns and that the mill has been producing it since before he came to work there in 2008.

“K10S is the pulp that we’re producing for these medical supplies. We’re the only one that produces it,” he said. “Different pulp mills run different grades of pulp – almost kind of like recipes.”

K10S pulp is made from western red cedar that produces a soft fibre that makes it suitable for the final products made from it.

“It’s been tweaked over the years to come up with the right formula that allows it to go into the medical supplies,” Sampson said.

https://www.vicnews.com/business/na...ubled-pulp-order-for-medical-masks-and-gowns/
Interesting the pulp is made from Western Red Cedar, which has been getting more and more expensive and hard to come by the better stuff.I guess they will be pulping saw logs to keep up with demand.

Wow Harmac is busy all the jobs in Nanaimo are saved.:rolleyes::rolleyes: I would like to think Harmac can save our businesses in Nanaimo but that isn't the case. BC Ferries and the businesses that support them are way bigger employer locally. Very broad on what they impact. It really sucks for our city.

As far as I know Harmac is not adding staff. They just shifted everyone around as I believe they lost demand in their regular products. So while they may be working they really aren't adding 1000's of jobs. Still good though as people will not be out of work there.

Island Health is the biggest employer and they sure won't be Short on work.

I support Canadian Forestry!:D

Corona beer stops production amid coronavirus pandemic

Published April 3, 2020 12:25 p.m. ET
Jordan Valinsky
CNN Business

Production of Corona beer is being temporarily suspended in Mexico because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Grupo Modelo, the company that makes the beer, posted the announcement on Twitter, stating that it's halting production and marketing of its beer because the Mexican government has shuttered non-essential businesses. The Anheuser-Busch Inbev-owned company also makes Modelo and Pacifico beers.

This week, the Mexican government announced the suspension of non-essential activities in the public and private sectors until April 30 in an effort to curb the spread of the virus. The country has more than 1,500 cases and 50 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins.

Grupo Modelo is ready to enact a plan to "guarantee the supply of beer" if the Mexican government decides to include breweries as essential, according to a statement.

Constellation Brands handles the distribution and import of Grupo Modelo's beers in the United States. The company said it will discuss the production cessation ona call Friday morning.

Corona's coincidental name with the virus hasn't dented sales. Constellation said sales of its beer brands grew 8.9% for the first three months of this year, with Modelo and Corona being its top sellers. Corona Hard Seltzer, which launched in early March, is also off to a "strong start," according to a company earnings release.

Beer and other alcohol are rising in sales this month as Americans are being forced to hunker down in light of the coronavirus. Sales numbers from Nielsen show beer sales rose 34% year-over-year for the week ending on March 21.

--CNN's Max Ramsay and Sharif Paget contributed to this report.

Island Health is the biggest employer and they sure won't be Short on work.

Just for fun I pulled out economic data. Look at Woodgrove retail jobs ouch. Imagine what Vancouver looks like.

upload_2020-4-3_19-46-46.pngupload_2020-4-3_19-47-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-3_19-49-22.png
    upload_2020-4-3_19-49-22.png
    105.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Great news out of China! In the country where this ran rampant for months before they locked down Hubei province, they now have the third lowest infection rates of the top thirty countries by numbers of infections.

Yesterday they only had 19 new cases and just 8 people got the regular flu!

It’s a miracle!!! Once we also flatten the curve by expelling journalists, this will all just go away. We must learn from China and become more like them. Bat soup rocks!

Great news out of China! In the country where this ran rampant for months before they locked down Hubei province, they now have the third lowest infection rates of the top thirty countries by numbers of infections.

Yesterday they only had 19 new cases and just 8 people got the regular flu!

It’s a miracle!!! Once we also flatten the curve by expelling journalists, this will all just go away. We must learn from China and become more like them. Bat soup rocks!

China underground reporters said that the death toll is probably around 45k not 3k. This is based on how active the crematorium were

They probably had about half a million cases.

China needs to be held accountable

My wife is a respiratory therapist and 7 months pregnant. She will be working right until she can’t because she feels it’s her duty. As a family we are very exposed. Reading some of the comments on here downplaying this situation is really depressing.

In this situation one hand washes the other we all need to stick to the rules the health authority advises. It’s like silence in a room of people it only takes one person to **** it up for everyone else.

Please take it seriously in the right ways practice social distancing wash your hands someone’s life could depend on it.

Well that’s good then I was awfully surprised to see someone upset about people being able to work.
And I am concerned about people working my family and always other, so far we are all good, boys are all still working as am I. Our industry has been deemed an essential industry as long as we can make it work and keep outside contact to a minimum and stay healthy all is good. It’s essential we keep as many people working as possibly, it’s important to keep as many operations going as we can. The country needs funds flowing people need services, let hope we can keep many businesses open and operational.

And on the Trump issue I really don’t blame him, he’s doing what he was hired to do, look after his own people and their needs first. Canada has plants that can make masks let’s look at getting them up and tooled for the job, these are drastic times they call for drastic measures.
My son works up northern Alberta in the oil patch I am very concerned for his safety, would like him to just stay home. He says that he has to work now as there might not be any work in the future. You don't worry about your family's safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back