2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey King Crab, wondering about your July 31 reference in your post. Looking at the Fishing BC app it seems to indicate a closure until March 31, 2021 (with the possibility of in season adjustments, of course). Welcome any clarification input.

That's exactly how is was worded on the email from DFO. Non-retention ended last summer on July 31 so I'm hoping we will at least have August to keep a few Chinooks.

That's exactly how is was worded on the email from DFO. Non-retention ended last summer on July 31 so I'm hoping we will at least have August to keep a few Chinooks.
Or you could go fish the west side. It’s 2 a day there

Headed out in the cold rough water today for halibut on my own.Went 0 for 2 before 11:00 then it just got too uncomfortable.I got the first one half way up before it shook off ,probably too big anyways.The second one was wayyy too big.I was only able to gain inches at a time after pulling it off bottom in the flood tide.It ended up breaking the 80 Lb. test leader.A second person would have been a big help.

Last edited:
Headed out in the cold rough water today for halibut on my own.Went 0 for 2 before 11:00 then it just got too uncomfortable.I got the first one half way up before it shook off ,probably too big anyways.The second one was wayyy too big.I was only able to gain inches at a time after pulling it off bottom in the flood tide.It ended up breaking the 80 Lb. test leader.A second person would have been a big help.
Cool!

I use the "Ultimate Halibut Rig" by Mark Mc on Ifish. Tying some up now just in case our Governor allows a Halibut season this year.

150 pound test dropper rig with a 18 inch length tippet of 250 pound test from the dropper to the 16/0 circle hook. Google "Ultimate Halibut Rig" for details on tying.

I will put up some photos if needed.

I use 80 pound Power Pro on the reel, connected to a swivel on top of the dropper. Fear no Halibut, you will not break off with this setup.

The 250 pound tippet is mainly to prevent teeth from nicking and breaking the mono. Some of the guys here use Seven Strand instead of mono for the tippet. But with a big circle hook you will hook in the jaw and the mono will not abrade on the teeth.

iwcipTB.jpg

I've used heavier leaders before, but ended up breaking my main line on the reel when snagging bottom.The 80 Lb. has caught lots of fish but I was clearly outmatched today by fish that are illegal to keep in our area now anyways.The spot I was in hasn't produced big fish in the past,so maybe a few females moved in.

I've used heavier leaders before, but ended up breaking my main line on the reel when snagging bottom.The 80 Lb. has caught lots of fish but I was clearly outmatched today by fish that are illegal to keep in our area now anyways.The spot I was in hasn't produced big fish in the past,so maybe a few females moved in.
Great story Rayvon.....two monsters in the same trip but coming home with nothing sucks!
80 lb test is plenty, even to bring to the boat a monster, providing it has not been compromised by dog fish.

Yep good story. The big ones are fun. Even though we do not have a max size limit on this side of the border, my limit would be about 44 to 48 inches, I would release a larger one Heck, I would be happy to bring home a 30 pounder!!!

Main reason for my heavy bottom gear is to withstand the bottom bouncing and all the rocks I drag the rig through. Largest halibut I ever caught was 126 pounds, on 30 pound line, go figure. That one taught me to not keep anything over 48 inches, the flesh was coarse and not of the good flavor the smaller ones have.

I have the sinker on a 40 pound dropper about 4 feet long, so if the sinker snags all is not lost. Just wrap the braid around a cleat and the 40 pound dropper will part. (I do not anchor, I prefer to drift across my favorite drops).

Tried west Constance today for a short current window (3 hours).Six ratfish ,no dogs or halibut.
Not to give up your secret, but what depth are you fishing 200', 300', 400'?
Tried 180'-210' a ways off discovery, 1 dog in 5.5 hr soak! Maybe a bit early at that depth?
Cheers! Fellow boat clubber!

Was hoping to get out for a ride tomorrow and drop the traps. Any issues or restrictions at the Esquimalt or Pedder Bay ramps? Thanks

Pedder last week told me their ramp remains open and free for April while they figure out how to collect ramp fees non contact. Webcam showed boats launching at esquimalt yesterday’s. Good luck

Constance was beautiful this morning. The current seemed to be 90 min ahead of the predicted so I missed the timing a bit. Still got one unclipped spring jigging (est 26") that was released and my buddy boat went 1 for 2. Nobody else out there. Two DFO officers were in a truck at the Cattle Point ramp and got into my boat on the trailer to look around the hatches. Never been checked there before.

20200409_082522~2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back