All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/commentary/article-loans-wont-save-local-small-business/

To date, the federal government’s attempt to address the impending wide-scale national rent default is a loan called the Canadian Emergency Business Account (CEBA). It is a generous loan. Up to $40,000 at zero per cent interest (for a while), and $10,000 is forgiven for those that meet certain criteria. It will probably be useful for a lot of small businesses, especially in the technology sector, where labour is a higher cost than rent. In fact, the idea for a loan-based response was proposed by the Canadian Council of Innovators, a technology advocacy group. But Finance Minister Bill Morneau said the program is for “the local restaurants, the corner coffee shops, the small travel agencies, the salons and barbershops and the many other small businesses that form the very backbone of Canada’s economy.”

Yep this is what I am finding out. High tech companies with expensive payrolls, and accessing already free Scientific Research and Development credits lobbied for this. That means that companies that have zero income, and not even viable yet can get these loans. Have to admit that is very clever. This is where the loans will go.

I don't understand how this $40,000 loan will help small businesses regardless of who gets them. It's pretty much a sure thing that this virus shut down will finally tip us into the long anticipated recession. So now you come out of a period of low to no earnings depending on your sector, only to open back up into a period of low to no earnings, so increasing your debit load helped how? Businesses need grants not loans right now. loans are for a time of transition or expansion, we are entering a protracted contraction.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/co...gerous-is-the-coronavirus?video_autoplay=true

How dangerous is this virus? I thought the projection that if all persons in Canada age 20 to 29 were to get this virus now it would result in an expectation that 53000. would require hospital care just from that age group. In the real world it would be a little less because of a degree of herd immunity but it would still be an enormous fraction of that 53000 which is astounding and for each progressive 10 year age segment it gets progressively much higher,

Last edited:
EUlHiHtUUAAUDpi

http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/Documents/BC_Surveillance_Summary_April_1 Final.pdf

Starts around the 13 minute mark

shows how well BC is doing. Read an article today that said plan is to open borders to non American counties June 30. One would assume America would be open first assuming they hit their plateau before that (which models say they will). One can hope anyway. Even the NY model showed cases very low by June 1 with apex in end of April. (see if I can dig up graph)

key thing I took from dr Henry about social distancing into June was there may be some measures still in place then but she doubts it will be all.

The world is now paying a frightful price for a historical accident. It is this: a highly disruptive and novel virus happened to emerge first in China, a high-tech surveillance state that, despite the experience of SARS, remains allergic to the truth and fearful of transparency.

Compounding the cost to humanity is China’s influence over the World Health Organization, which has whitewashed its public health analysis and prescriptions at this crucial moment.

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2020/04...ce=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=020420

The world is now paying a frightful price for a historical accident. It is this: a highly disruptive and novel virus happened to emerge first in China, a high-tech surveillance state that, despite the experience of SARS, remains allergic to the truth and fearful of transparency.

Compounding the cost to humanity is China’s influence over the World Health Organization, which has whitewashed its public health analysis and prescriptions at this crucial moment.

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2020/04...ce=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=020420
A good reason for Canada to bring in effective whistleblower protection laws.

A good reason for Canada to bring in effective whistleblower protection laws.
China has to accept substantial responsibility for the rapid spread of Covid 19 and thousands of deaths by suppressing the truth. The WHO must be ashamed as being apologists for China's negligence.

Weird... this sounds just like all the old blue hairs I see while I am out in the public doing my essential service work! Maybe you guys don’t need to be going to the bank every Monday and visiting every hardware store in town.
Who goes to the bank anymore,or hardware stores. I go to Costco once a week for senior early opening with a list
for several older folks(yes,older than my 63 years.) that are house bound and need food and meds.
From my time in the fire service ,I wear appropriate PPE and stay more than 2 meters away from anyone.
We are being encouraged by authorities to call people on observing non compliance to social and physical distancing if they must
go out for absolute necessities.
There are a lot of rule breakers who,need to get with the program!
I will be rejoining the workplace for a 10:week stint shortly hauling necessities to Alberta.
That will be interesting. I plan on going self contained in my rig with food,cooking ability and the like.
Stay safe and keep you distance folks.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/co...gerous-is-the-coronavirus?video_autoplay=true

How dangerous is this virus? I thought the projection that if all persons in Canada age 20 to 29 were to get this virus now it would result in an expectation that 53000. would require hospital care just from that age group. In the real world it would be a little less because of a degree of herd immunity but it would still be an enormous fraction of that 53000 which is astounding and for each progressive 10 year age segment it gets progressively much higher,
So I read this article last night and here are my thoughts after I slept on it...
The information was very good but hard to understand unless you understand the SIR model and what happened in the UK.
Missing was clear interpretation for those that still don't grasp it. You just have to read the comments to see how badly the fail is on that point. One person had it bang on and was dismissed quickly with many likes on the dismissal. She was even told to reread it. (wow)
The expression "read the room" was been coming up lately on my twitter feed when people tweet nonsense that they think they are striking the right tone or having a brain fart. Read the room, in this case a math lesson and assume that it's been forty or fifty years since the last one for his audience.
Colby Cosh, the author, has a chance to save lives and needs to look at his comments and fix this. His words matter for the folks that seem to treat his words as gospel.

Last edited:
shows how well BC is doing. Read an article today that said plan is to open borders to non American counties June 30. One would assume America would be open first assuming they hit their plateau before that (which models say they will). One can hope anyway. Even the NY model showed cases very low by June 1 with apex in end of April. (see if I can dig up graph)

key thing I took from dr Henry about social distancing into June was there may be some measures still in place then but she doubts it will be all.
Have to agree with you on that but get use to calling it physical distancing as that message is what needs to get out there. I don't have a crystal ball but I expect that the "fat tail" of the model will guide when things will open up and that depends on us.

I think a lot of things will be open by june but borders are not one of them. Lots of places are still in the beginnings of their curve and there is going to be a real emphasis on preventing new outbreaks.

So I read this article last night and here are my thoughts after I slept on it...
The information was very good but hard to understand unless you understand the SIR model and what happened in the UK.
Missing was clear interpretation for those that still don't grasp it. You just have to read the comments to see how badly the fail is on that point. One person had it bang on and was dismissed quickly with many likes on the dismissal. She was even told to reread it. (wow)
The expression "read the room" was been coming up lately on my twitter feed when people tweet nonsense that they think they are striking the right tone or having a brain fart. Read the room, in this case a math lesson and assume that it's been forty or fifty years since the last one for his audience.
Colby Cosh, the author, has a chance to save lives and needs to look at his comments and fix this. His words matter for the folks that seem to treat his words as gospel.

All mathematical models and presentations of such are going to be scrutinized heavily as they should be. It seems to me at its core there is a degree of validity.

What I like about it is that in my mind it hits rather hard and offers support for the measures that have been taken and will need to be taken and indicates how dangerous this virus is and more importantly suggests a rather profound potential outcome if we had simply done little or nothing to control and slow it. That by using the 20 to 29 age group in an example, it also suggest that while it may be significantly more dangerous to older age groups, no one is immune to the risk it represents.

Last edited:
Quebec CDC claims the huge surge in confirmed cases over night is due to backlog of positive tests being processed. So we will see if that levels off because if it doesnt they're in super deep **** as noted above. Quebec CDC numbers only show a 15% recovery rate too...could be a lag in retesting the initial positive cases they move through treatment protocols perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back