Minister Jordan - min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca or bernadette.jordan@parl.gc.ca

Rebecca Reid - rebecca.reid@dfo-mpo-gc.ca

Andrew Thomson - andrew.thomson@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Brad Beith - brad.beaith@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Jeff Grout - jeff.grout@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Jennifer Nener - jennifer.nener@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

DFO.PacificSalmonRMT-EGRSaumonduPacifique.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

^ email that is directly to do with the 2020 Fraser River Chinook restrictions

Email them, tell them the restrictions last year were not ok, and any further restrictions most definitely will have backlash. Big thing to push too I think is that covid is ruining the economy and any further restrictions will just increase that, as well as there will be a huge decrease in pressure when the Upper Fraser River fish are travelling through to the river, so further restrictions are unnecessary.

Last edited:
There was a lower mainland Facebook fishing group and someone posted about the closure to all salmon fishing on all lower mainland rivers effective apr1st until further notice. I am sure similar notice has been sent out to other regions in BC but the notice I looked at was for region 2 freshwater rivers which is lower mainland. It came as a surprise to a number of guys on that forum and I am sure there will be a lot of pissed off freshwater anglers. At a BARE Minimum both the fresh and saltwater anglers and all businesses, and I know there are a damn LOT of businesses directly and indirectly affected by DFO regs that are 100% political and nonfact based, should come together and join arms and make noise, get DFO attention, and make a scene to say enough is enough!!!!!!!!

We need to sling the mud at DFO now while they are reviewing and thinking of ways to screw a of us over.... Not when the official notices have already been published.

No more emails.... Screw that... If they press delete on the emails and don't read them, what's the point of emails? Emails DO Nothing... Has never worked and will never work. Let's not continue with being insane by hoping 1 day DFO will read those emails and take action. We need to sling mud... We need to make noise, we need to grow some balls and stand up for our rights. If not, we loose it all fellas. Simple as that.

Last edited:
There was a lower mainland Facebook fishing group and someone posted about the closure to all salmon fishing on all lower mainland rivers effective apr1st until further notice. I am sure similar notice has been sent out to other regions in BC but the notice I looked at was for region 2 freshwater rivers which is lower mainland. It came as a surprise to a number of guys on that forum and I am sure there will be a lot of pissed off freshwater anglers. At a BARE Minimum both the fresh and saltwater anglers and all businesses, and I know there are a damn LOT of businesses directly and indirectly affected by ******** DFO regs that are 100% political and nonfact based, should come together and join arms and make noise, get DFO attention, and make a scene to say enough is enough!!!!!!!!

We need to sling the mud at DFO now while they are reviewing and thinking of ways to screw a of us over.... Not when the official notices have already been published.

No more emails.... Screw that... If they press delete on the emails and don't read them, what's the point of emails? Emails DO Nothing... Has never worked and will never work. Let's not continue with being insane by hoping 1 day DFO will read those emails and take action. We need to sling mud... We need to make noise, we need to grow some balls and stand up for our rights. If not, we loose it all fellas. Simple as that.

Folks

Perhaps we were not clear enough when we talked about this a the local SFAC meetings. The intention is for DFO to work on a table for review by the SFAC’s or a sub group as was suggested by myself at the meeting and once we have fished the DFO and SFAB review we can announce any revised fishery management measures that may come out of the review in a updated notice in season. Our goal was to have all of this done before the last set of SFAC’s but unfortunately we did not achieve this before we had to roll over the regulations for this year. We are limited in the amount we can put on website which is why you can see “April 1 until further notice” given salmon don’t start arriving into the tribs until August at the earliest we still have plenty of time for this review to occur.

If you have any question please give me a call

Thank You,

Dean

Dean Allan

Area Chief Resource Management

Fraser and Interior Area

Fisheries and Oceans

Salmon dont start arriving till Aug ?
Red spring opener on chehalis and Vedder July 1. Cap coho in a few weeks. The list continues...

Folks

Perhaps we were not clear enough when we talked about this a the local SFAC meetings. The intention is for DFO to work on a table for review by the SFAC’s or a sub group as was suggested by myself at the meeting and once we have fished the DFO and SFAB review we can announce any revised fishery management measures that may come out of the review in a updated notice in season. Our goal was to have all of this done before the last set of SFAC’s but unfortunately we did not achieve this before we had to roll over the regulations for this year. We are limited in the amount we can put on website which is why you can see “April 1 until further notice” given salmon don’t start arriving into the tribs until August at the earliest we still have plenty of time for this review to occur.

If you have any question please give me a call

Thank You,

Dean

Dean Allan

Area Chief Resource Management

Fraser and Interior Area

Fisheries and Oceans

little confused by this. He doesn’t seem hostile towards public fishery with this but fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...

Yeah it makes u wonder if they are now managing the tribs like the ocean closed till August 1

How long can it take to analyze last years catch data? There was none until July 15, unless I missed something.. First it was not enough heads turned in. Now not enough log books. Now it's just "because".

There were sure lots of people watching the fish at the Fraser blockade. Since the whole coast was shut down, and few fish showed up, what was the excuse for this years closure?

This fish stinks from the top down, and it starts east of the praries. This has nothing to do with management of the fishery. Our fishery thrived for the last 10 years on targeting marked fish that did not factor into any major Canadian fisheries during the and early summer spring. Those fish have been put there for decades for us to catch. A simple marked only fishery existed already for 10 years since there was finally acknowledgement that there was a problem on the Fraser.

Our fishery is being managed for political gain, perhaps by appeasing First Nations our dear T2 will get his Security Council Seat.

And this flies in the face of the tireless work our advocacy groups do.

When I make a post to say that we need to stand up and make some noise and not to go quietly into the night...and to unite with other fellow anglers and businesses to fight for our rights before it slips away.... I get a response with an attempt at an explanation... To me it seems like DFO does not want us to make a big stink and to make a commotion... They want us to bow down our heads and accept whatever scraps of rotten food they toss at us... Just like last year...

I am certain that there are DFO double agents here posing as rec anglers.... Feeling the pulse and temperature and mood of how we would react to certain measures.... From last year all that was advised and done in response to the horrendous regs was to write letters. Either we do nothing and bend over and take it up the rear end and just keep quiet, or else we make a big stink and cause a commotion. Let's not take the middle road and write letters.

I appreciate there was a select group of folks who represented us during talks and presentations..and I am grateful for their work and efforts... But if you ask me, those efforts were in vain as the decisions were already made during this time last year. It was a theatrical showcase in an attempt to silence and give us a sense of false hope when here was no hope to be had. The data, the science and the arguments presented on our behalf to DFO were reasonable, logically, data and science driven, and made sense. Yet none of it was taken serious nor even considered. We are treated like children and idiots and fools.

How do we get everyone who has been and will be affected by these idiotic politically driven BS regulations and policies involved.... We need numbers and we need to make noise. How do we rally the troops as there are many many different people, sectors, businesses and industries that have been affected and stand to be affected once again.

Last edited:
When I make a post to say that we need to stand up and make some noise and not to go quietly into the night...and to unite with other fellow anglers and businesses to fight for our rights before it slips away.... I get a response with an attempt at an explanation... To me it seems like DFO does not want us to make a big stink and to make a commotion... They want us to bow down our heads and accept whatever scraps of rotten food they toss at us... Just like last year...

I am certain that there are DFO double agents here posing as rec anglers.... Feeling the pulse and temperature and mood of how we would react to certain measures.... From last year all that was advised and done in response to the horrendous regs was to write letters. Either we do nothing and bend over and take it up the rear end and just keep quiet, or else we make a big stink and cause a commotion. Let's not take the middle road and write letters.

Have been part of a few real and big protests on the South Island Area in the past. They got a little blip on the evening news. But if someone can block a railway line for a month by pretending to be First Nations, anything is possible.

IMO lobby in Ottawa is key and then some long term Campaign were your putting pressure on the government every year.

It’s hard to stage a large stale protest. CBC will
Give rainforest just as must time on air during the story and it’s likely the Fraser river returns will be in crisis and the slide at the same time.

That’s my IMO tho, I respect the guys that want to go out and make a stink tho too

Further Chinook Restrictions? I told them I’m not happy with the current ones! Their patchwork of varying rules and ridiculous Whale sanctuaries are a joke. None of these have a basis in defensible science or common sense. These initiatives are all based on appeasing certain vocal factions and special interest groups. DFO needs to manage our joint resource using average Canadian citizens input and their best interests as a benchmark.

Conservation, based on Sound science, is and has to be the only untouchable. But conservation measures have to also be defensible, shared across all user groups and fairly distributed across all DFO Management Areas. DFO needs to develop a holistic approach to management and scrap the piecemeal individual area one they use now. Sadly that fails their divide and conquer methodology, even more sadly its working!

I was sent the data last year that has 6800 aprox "data" and if you saw it (btw dfo has it ) we wouldnt be shut down ...guys it has nothing to do with it they can blow smoke up your butt and you can believe it , it has noting to do with data it has to do with not upsetting certain user groups I cant say who as ill be called names and get more hate mail. .
I posed the question a long time ago HOW are you going to get data when fishing is closed and ummmm there is only 6 boats fishing???there was MANY days off Sooke last year where I counted how many boats were on the water with 1 hand... they got what they wanted "GHOST TOWN"..

Here is an Excel file of the data.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L8QAqF7FKNVySqjvRNn-pBx_T4j-mu70/view?usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:
literally. Have to block a port or block a harbour. Not even joking.
I was part of a blockade of Vancouver Harbour back in the late eighties with my seine boat and it accomplished nothing. I was on BCTV news and they took everything I said and portrayed it completely out of context. A bunch of us got federal charges that ended up being dropped but as I said in the end just a media gong show.

I was part of a blockade of Vancouver Harbour back in the late eighties with my seine boat and it accomplished nothing. I was on BCTV news and they took everything I said and portrayed it completely out of context. A bunch of us got federal charges that ended up being dropped but as I said in the end just a media gong show.
Good on you for trying.

I occupied the DFO building on Hastings Street back in the day.
Good times, good people, same old DFO ********.
I got in the back door politically, worked at the Ministers Regional Office for the fisheries minister of the day, and was able to see how much power the DFO bureaucracy in Ottawa wields.
Truly heartbreaking.

The people and mindset that screwed the Grand Banks, one of the world's most prolific fishing grounds, were not fired, they simply had one less fishery to worry about as they went on their merry way 'managing' west coast salmon.
Criminal.

I truly believe it has to be more than a one time occurrence. It has to be controlled and continuous events where we don't trigger anything considered offensive, too aggressive etc... Perhaps not storming the ministers or DFO offices but peaceful and loud demonstrations and banging on drums outside there offices. Do it in waves and take turns... Persistent pain in their asses... It may not work, but then again, we have never tried.. What's there to loose when almost everying has or will be lost. Come on guys, we've already lost Apr, may, Jun and July when the evidence and science don't justify the actions of DFO. Last year, we got 1 fish in aug. That's pathetic. Only reason why it was somewhat bearable was because we had an epic year last year. It won't get better. If it's for science and conservation, shut everything down... Commercial, FN, rec,.... I mean everything. I can live with that. But when you shut a sector that brings in billions of dollars worth of tourism and business to various local economies and move allocation over to a select group of people(FN) who sell and have a monetary gain over their harvest and don't want to share quota with anyone else and then the commies, while I appreciate it's how they put food on their tables, most our seafood is exported and not consumed nor is their money exchanged locally.

Id rather get everything stripped and go down yelling and screaming than just sit there and take what is given or not given to me like a bum with my hands out hoping for scraps of food.

Last night I was thinking along those same lines, pull a Greta and just protest outside the local DFO office once a week.
Need to get some people to do so in Ottawa, although it would take a few, DFO is a large landowner in Ottawa.

Back