March 31 - July 15 Salmon Restrictions

Sometimes I think that, that squeaky wheel has been squeaking for so long that DFO thinks the bearings have let go and there is no sense in greasing the wheel.

I'm just confused" protect Fraser stocks" why was it open in late summer/fall last year then? Why is the spring time so concerning? Strange days indeed

Unfortunately i don't see how doing nothing will improve our situation. The squeaky wheel gets the grease

Seeing guys like Serengeti become very involved in our meeting over last year, and the number of people engaged increasing steadily I think it is mistake to abandon them. Also seeing the number of new anglers at our meeting this spring was great. I even got 13 regrets(Aces was one of them) for people not being able to show up. Never have we gotten that before.

At our meeting last year we passed a motion that was suggesting on Serengeti to have that choice on halibut limits last year. That motion went right to the main board, and was adopted. So the idea of motions don't go anywhere is not true.

There are also other local issues that are good to talk about that for the fishery. In our case we have a COSEWIC for Nanaimo Chinook going on, and some of our people at the meeting sit on those. We talk about out local hatchery, and also some issues in our local community. We also had the head C & P officer giving us his take on issues in the area, and how we can all help his team.

Hey Victoria? Did you even know that DFO has new task force under whales. 5-7 officers in there own office dedicated to whale enforcement? Supposed to start this month? That came from our C and P officer at our meeting.

It seems like you guys are giving up which is a shame. I wish you best of luck, but our SFAC groups can't be strong if people walk away.

On my end I haven't seen that in Nanaimo, and and from what I have seen/observed it isn't a waste of time. Not putting a white flag up myself.

I'm just confused" protect Fraser stocks" why was it open in late summer/fall last year then? Why is the spring time so concerning? Strange days indeed
The question I asked DFO is if you open areas earlier because you think the fish have already passed on their way to the Fraser, why not apply the same logic to initial closures when the run hasn’t yet got there.It should in my opinion be a rolling closure/ opening, based on run timing? DFO has yet to reply.

The question I asked DFO is if you open areas earlier because you think the fish have already passed on their way to the Fraser, why not apply the same logic to initial closures when the run hasn’t yet got there.It should in my opinion be a rolling closure/ opening, based on run timing? DFO has yet to reply.

DFO doesn't reply because your point makes too much sense and they are stumped.

Seeing guys like Serengeti become very involved in our meeting over last year, and the number of people engaged increasing steadily I think it is mistake to abandon them. Also seeing the number of new anglers at our meeting this spring was great. I even got 13 regrets(Aces was one of them) for people not being able to show up. Never have we gotten that before.

At our meeting last year we passed a motion that was suggesting on Serengeti to have that choice on halibut limits last year. That motion went right to the main board, and was adopted. So the idea of motions don't go anywhere is not true.

There are also other local issues that are good to talk about that for the fishery. In our case we have a COSEWIC for Nanaimo Chinook going on, and some of our people at the meeting sit on those. We talk about out local hatchery, and also some issues in our local community. We also had the head C & P officer giving us his take on issues in the area, and how we can all help his team.

Hey Victoria? Did you even know that DFO has new task force under whales. 5-7 officers in there own office dedicated to whale enforcement? Supposed to start this month? That came from our C and P officer at our meeting.

It seems like you guys are giving up which is a shame. I wish you best of luck, but our SFAC groups can't be strong if people walk away.

On my end I haven't seen that in Nanaimo, and and from what I have seen/observed it isn't a waste of time. Not putting a white flag up myself.
You guys are doing a great job and are making a difference

Thank you!

Is there anybody working at DFO in Vancouver anymore. Last spring I mailed back my emergency paper license supplies and included a note that I no longer wished to be a license vendor. The combination of restrictions and online sales made me think it was more wasted paperwork time I didn't need. A young lady called me the next week and confirmed that I didn't want a new next year supply sent to me. Which I confirmed. A week later guess what...a 2019- 2020 supply showed up in the mail. I called the Vancouver DFO number on the form included and got a voice message. I called 2 more times over the next week and never got a return call. I wanted them to tell me how to get the licenses back to them without cost to me. (as I didn't want them in the first place) Now the year end is tomorrow so I called the number last week and again had to leave a message. Still no reply. I mean with what is going on now I get that it may take a few days to respond. But this is ridiculous. I guess I'll wait until they demand their money and then they will get an ear full.

Last edited:
Is there anybody working at DFO in Vancouver anymore. Last spring I mailed back my emergency paper license supplies and included a note that I no longer wished to be a license vendor. The combination of restrictions and online sales made me think it was more wasted paperwork time I didn't need. A young lady called me the next week and confirmed that I didn't want a new next year supply sent to me. Which I confirmed. A week later guess what...a 2020 supply showed up in the mail. I called the Vancouver DFO number on the form included and got a voice message. I called 2 more times over the next week and never got a return call. I wanted them to tell me how to get the licenses back to them without cost to me. (as I didn't want them in the first place) Now the year end is tomorrow so I called the number last week and again had to leave a message. Still no reply. I mean with what is going on now I get that it may take a few days to respond. But this is ridiculous. I guess I'll wait until they demand their money and then they will get an ear full.

With the whole Covid thing, I doubt that many offices that aren't dealing with essential services are staffed. Most are working from home.

All DFO staff are working. Most are working from home with a few still in the office.

Dont let them use the Covid excuses for their mismanagement.

Is there anybody working at DFO in Vancouver anymore. Last spring I mailed back my emergency paper license supplies and included a note that I no longer wished to be a license vendor. The combination of restrictions and online sales made me think it was more wasted paperwork time I didn't need. A young lady called me the next week and confirmed that I didn't want a new next year supply sent to me. Which I confirmed. A week later guess what...a 2020 supply showed up in the mail. I called the Vancouver DFO number on the form included and got a voice message. I called 2 more times over the next week and never got a return call. I wanted them to tell me how to get the licenses back to them without cost to me. (as I didn't want them in the first place) Now the year end is tomorrow so I called the number last week and again had to leave a message. Still no reply. I mean with what is going on now I get that it may take a few days to respond. But this is ridiculous. I guess I'll wait until they demand their money and then they will get an ear full.

Just email this to the
Fisheries minister. I had a friend that was having similar issues with the CRA and not getting any help. He ended up emailing the finance minister as a last resort and ended up getting a response and help.

Sad that we have to go to these levels to get help from what are suppose to be public servers but that’s just the way it is it seems.

All DFO staff are working. Most are working from home with a few still in the office.

Dont let them use the Covid excuses for their mismanagement.

So you, are telling me that during this covid19 situation, ALL DFO staff are working from home? So expected delayed response if you are lucky but likely no response? If they are working from home I guess they can't be on the water to enforce rules/regulations correct? I assume phone lines will be busy and long wait times? They may or may not get back to your inquiries? Expect minimal to zero Contact with the public?

In other words you are telling me it's Business as usual for DFO then....

Just to be clear...these were 2019-20 licenses and I called in April 2019 to find out how to get them back without cost to me. No Covid then and the same results as now with the number supplied to all vendors. It is a 1-800 number to order more supplies or discuss dependencies with orders...in 2019 and 2020 I get voice mail and no return phone calls.

Unfortunately i don't see how doing nothing will improve our situation. The squeaky wheel gets the grease

You are right. Currently, there are much bigger wheels that squeak a lot louder. Keep in mind the only MP that actually spoke to this that I am aware of was the NDP Fisheries Critic. That's how much recreational anglers matter to the powers that be. They are slightly more relevant then the Marijuana party...

Looking over the data DNA results from 2019 give a lot more 4.2 and 5.2 fish than cwt....giving dna may backfire on us pretty hard...if I'm reading this right?! (Could be DNA since they started taking it?)

Last edited:
Back