All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is great news in small business announcements today. I can tell everyone who looking for loans the banks are trying to catch up with the government. The banks have been very supportive but processes are very slow. Our BDC application has been stalled, and still looking at other options at bank. In all I would say they are trying to accomadate who they can.

For the payroll support, I am not finding any details around the 30% revenue threshold definition, are they saying in comparison to the year previous? As in, March 2020 vs March 2019? Cheers

5 days in a row in BC of more recoveries than new diagnosis. Up to 48% I believe of all cases have now recovered. BC, in terms of numbers, is the gem of Canada right now...this upcoming week is a BIG one...if we can all play our part will go a long way.

Last edited:
Latest update from Dr. Bonnie Henry
March 30, 2020
Starts around 17 minutes in if you are watching just now.

This is not a regular pharmacy, only the Cancer Agency can dispense Chemo for me . The lab tests are to make sure the chemo drugs are not damaging my organs before they renew it. I argued that I have been taking this particular drug for many years and never have my monthly blood tests been out of range where it was necessary to alter my medication and I was willing to take the risk, but they won't go for it as it's the protocol. So it is blood tests or no chemo this month. They will do the Dr. consultation and check over, over the phone this time and write the prescription, but I will still have to go back to the Cancer Agency Pharmacy the next day to pick up the Chemo.

Before I went to the lab at the hospital today, I got a call from the Cancer Agency asking if I had any COVID-19 symptoms re: coming into the Pharmacy and after some discussion it was agreed they will send the chemo to me by courier. Apparently they are calling everyone coming in to see if they may be plague carriers.

I thought I would check my home and boat work supply stash with the hope I would find a mask as I have used them before. Only found one already used N95 disposable with blue paint dust and then in the back, I found a new in the box, NORTH industrial, reusable N95 respirator and a new box of 20 n95 filters for it, that I had completely forgotten I bought some years back.

So now I am feeling a lot braver about heading out to the lab in the afternoon. The hospital has stepped up their game. A manned check point just inside the door to clean your hands and a second check person in the hall at the lab. The waiting room seats were mostly blocked off to provide separation distance. I am in and out quick and back to the car. I have my N95 respirator and am feeling a little cocky, so lets get some other medical things from the local drug store and a few things from the grocery store like milk since it could be a month before I get back out. Everything goes great, very few people in the drug store or grocery and they had taken a lot of steps to prevent transfer and maintain social distance and all grocery staff were wearing masks and had the checkouts plex-glassed in.

Back at the car I load the trunk up and am feeling rather smug about this having gone so well and thinking I should not be coughing up my lungs in a couple of weeks. Then the universe takes exception to my smugness when I close the trunk and immediately realize I just locked my keys in the trunk and the cars is locked. Now normally, a seniors moment like this would be no problem as we older people plan ahead for such failings and I would get the spare car key out of my wallet, but I just take the cards now, not the wallet, for infection control. As I ponder this development, the universe is apparently not through with me, as a heavy but short cloud burst opens up on me. One thing that I do understand is that N95's do not protect against viruses if they get wet so off it comes, - not feeling so cocky now.

Now this is the older beater car of my vehicles and easy to break into with a metal coat hanger, but after checking with a few stores in the small mall, apparently now they only have plastic ones. So plan B, we do plan ahead, and its a call to the auto club and a few minutes later a tow truck pulls into the parking spot right beside me, and as the guy gets out I say to him "that was quick". Apparently the universe is not quite through with me, as he looks at me like I am a burned out schizophrenic street person, and walks right passed me to the grocery store - no I am not making that up. Finally the correct tow truck turns up and I am now decontaminated and locked in the bunker again like a survivor in a zombie apocalypse movie, but should be good for a few more weeks.

Last edited:
So if you have small business the banks are not going to help much yet. They are concentrating on bigger places with larger credit, and are limited etc.

Basically comment was go to BDC, or else wait and apply for the CERB. I was told if businesses can wait two to three weeks there will be online application for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) of $40k. https://www.canada.ca/en/department...e-benefit-to-help-workers-and-businesses.html

The applications should be online at most of the banks. I was warned though that it depends on the situation and credit power of the business to qualify. This was BMO.

I am shopping around right now let you know if I find out anything else. Very frustrating process, and a lot of false promises so far especially by the banks. I will be fine, but I worry about some of our customers paying rent etc. with inventory sitting there. Some of these places will go under waiting for financing.

Last edited:
New study finds COVID-19 is AIRBORNE, not just spread by droplets.

"The latest study, which has not been peer-reviewed by other scientists yet or published in a scientific journal, took samples from 11 patients' rooms after they had been placed in isolation following a diagnosis."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...TjHD3Tfwv47D3Iv-ur4h4jN_oxtpvg6cyJSZiRS6tI_Mk

Daily Mail in the UK is not a very good source and one should always take anything they print with a high degree of skepticism. When I read it some red flags went off so I tracked down the news source. Here is a link.

https://www.unmc.edu/news.cfm?match=25339

Study documents contamination of environment near patients with COVID
by Taylor Wilson
March 29, 2020

IMPORTANT context about this information: Our findings DO NOT confirm that this virus spreads in an airborne fashion. The identification of genetic material from the virus that causes COVID-19 in air samples found in this study provides limited evidence that some potential for airborne transmission exists. More study is underway to determine if live culturable virus was captured in this study and additional evidence is needed to determine the risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission via the airborne route. PLEASE EMPHASIZE THIS in all stories generated from this release.

Several characteristics of COVID-19 make it stand out when compared to other pandemics that have hit our populations but a couple of the scariest are the rapid spreading and the mortality rate. Which is at a much higher percentage than that of the Spanish Flu. Numbers have been fluctuating but they seem to be holding at an average lately of 4 to 5% mortality rate and the numbers of infected in some hot spots have been doubling daily. It's an exponential growth not a linear one.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/26/cor...eres-how-it-stacks-up-to-other-pandemics.html

Several characteristics of COVID-19 make it stand out when compared to other pandemics that have hit our populations but a couple of the scariest are the rapid spreading and the mortality rate. Which is at a much higher percentage than that of the Spanish Flu. Numbers have been fluctuating but they seem to be holding at an average lately of 4 to 5% mortality rate and the numbers of infected in some hot spots have been doubling daily. It's an exponential growth not a linear one.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/26/cor...eres-how-it-stacks-up-to-other-pandemics.html

Mortality rate worldwide is 4.8% and in Canada is 1%. BUT that’s not the actual mortality rate as most cases are people that are at home self isolating and not counted in the total case count. So actual mortality rate is much much lower

Daily Mail in the UK is not a very good source and one should always take anything they print with a high degree of skepticism. When I read it some red flags went off so I tracked down the news source. Here is a link.

https://www.unmc.edu/news.cfm?match=25339

Study documents contamination of environment near patients with COVID
by Taylor Wilson
March 29, 2020

IMPORTANT context about this information: Our findings DO NOT confirm that this virus spreads in an airborne fashion. The identification of genetic material from the virus that causes COVID-19 in air samples found in this study provides limited evidence that some potential for airborne transmission exists. More study is underway to determine if live culturable virus was captured in this study and additional evidence is needed to determine the risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission via the airborne route. PLEASE EMPHASIZE THIS in all stories generated from this release.

I think there's going to be quite a few independent study results coming out to show this is not just droplet transfer but also airborne. Pretty simple math to figure out that that many people in such a short amount of time couldn't possibly all have gotten it by direct contact. Especially since so many of the infected have stated they had not been around anyone directly before testing positive with it. Lot's of professionals in the field have been saying this since very early on.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/28/8232...dence-on-coronavirus-transmission-through-air

Mortality rate worldwide is 4.8% and in Canada is 1%. BUT that’s not the actual mortality rate as most cases are people that are at home self isolating and not counted in the total case count. So actual mortality rate is much much lower
Some are counted and some aren't. Depends on the country etc. Same has happened with other viruses in the past. That doesn't change the fact that it is spreading incredibly fast and the mortality rate is very high. Not something any body should take lightly especially those with weak immune systems. When 98 people die in a 7 hr period in one hospital it should make everyone take notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back