Fishing and Hunting COVID-19 Updates - Province of British Columbia

Totally the right approach. The Province has left fishing open, but is reinforcing social distancing. Smart move because they also can rely on the $1,000 fines to back up their decision to allow people to participate in the fishery.

Closing opportunity for people to participate in a safe outdoor activity that can be practiced while following the social distancing measures is a responsible way to allow people to do something that is good for their mental well-being, not to mention they might be able to avoid a grocery store to provide dinner for their family.

Good on the province for once again being a thoughtful leader in their approach to the Covid-19 situation. Sure would be nice if the rest of the country followed their lead.

“Only fish and hunt with members of your family or others you are living with.”

That regulation totally shuts down the entire Guiding Industry until further notice doesn't it?

"they also can rely on the $1,000 fines to back up their decision to allow people to participate in the fishery."

“Only fish and hunt with members of your family or others you are living with.”

That regulation totally shuts down the entire Guiding Industry until further notice doesn't it?

"they also can rely on the $1,000 fines to back up their decision to allow people to participate in the fishery."

Provincial order, ocean fisheries are federal so no, unless in a river or lake...and on top of that isn't it a recommendation, it isn't law as didn't come from the PHO.

Muddy on the jurisdiction, but as health is a provincial mandate, I think they would have a say in it. They aren't regulating fishing in this case,but the health of what are non-essential gatherings. Possibly?

The other piece is on social distancing, which is an order. How do you social distance when guiding?

Our rivers got shut down on 25 March. I had to cancel my annual April steelhead trip to Alaska so I thought I’d sneak out to one of my local rivers before they closed due the normal seasonal closing dates. I got a few days in on a river in perfect fishing shape, fresh wild steelhead coming in on every tide. I never thought an infectious viral illness would trump a calendar date to shut down a river. Strange times we’re living in.

Yes, the Province sets the rules. The $1,000 fine would apply if a guide service provider decided to break social distancing. Its no longer a suggestion...but why would any guide want to bring customers onto a boat where you are not able to practice social distance? Crazy to put both yourself and others at risk. The good news here is families and individuals can still go fishing, catch dinner and get outside so they can have a change of pace that is good for their mental well-being.

Yes, the Province sets the rules. The $1,000 fine would apply if a guide service provider decided to break social distancing. Its no longer a suggestion...but why would any guide want to bring customers onto a boat where you are not able to practice social distance? Crazy to put both yourself and others at risk. The good news here is families and individuals can still go fishing, catch dinner and get outside so they can have a change of pace that is good for their mental well-being.

And there some crazy people out there that put others and themselves at risk by .... DRIVING CARS! Can you believe that? Crazy!

Any guiding company with any resemblance of a moral compass is closed right now.

If there are WW companies operating right now they would have to be scum of the earth and hope they get reported.

Any guiding company with any resemblance of a moral compass is closed right now.

If there are WW companies operating right now they would have to be scum of the earth and hope they get reported.
Not to mention they qualify for an opportunity to contribute to General Revenue so we can afford all the economic life lines we are sending out to help people.

Not to mention they qualify for an opportunity to contribute to General Revenue so we can afford all the economic life lines we are sending out to help people.

This is a bit confusing...do you think guides should be fishing in order to contribute to general revenue, or do you think they should be taking the stipend to stay home.

Orrrrrr....do you think guides should be guiding and whale watchers should be watching in order to add the fine monies to general revenue...

Given the costs to the healthcare system of Covid, I would expect not guiding would be the best contribution to general revenue...

Ok
So let me get this straight...
I’m just being the devils advocate here but let’s just back up a minute

you can still take an Uber or taxi
And you can still board a plane domestically
You can still build houses.
I’m sure I’m missing a ton that this is all based on social distancing.
Right or wrong....if the cabs/planes/Uber are all running...why not guiding or whale watching?

I can't speak for other guides, but for myself I have no plans to operate. Why would I put myself and all my customers to that risk? You simply can't social distance on a boat. Everyone handles the same fishing rods, touches surfaces etc. I think its all about your professional ethics.

Couple of Fraser valley guides still operating. Like you said anybody with a moral compass or any decency has shutdown their operations!

Still a few salt water guides also on the water with guests....why? No respect for themselves or their guests.

Still a few salt water guides also on the water with guests....why? No respect for themselves or their guests.

Yes I actually thought most weren't but I know some are. It was interesting there was discussion last night on Facebook on page on this. It seems clear to me there are a number right now may be doing it based on financial issues.

The thing is regardless of what we do business wise if we help spread around the disease it just prolongs things getting back to normal? Then effectively we lose more money, and potential to harm others. Some don't seem to be understanding that at all, and being selfish. Why would you take chance with your health? How are you helping our businesses and your local economy re-open?

Last edited:

So selfish
91798750_10157147247766770_2191819921086742528_n.jpg

Back