March 31 - July 15 Salmon Restrictions

Maybe a complete shutdown of rec chinook fishing inclusive of Aug and September months will get us off our asses and pissed off enough to start making some noise. We are leaving our fate up to the DFO clowns.... The negotiation for what we get/don't get is being done for us by FN and commies.

Dying a slow and painful death from a thousand needles

Actually lots of people aren't on their asses just as an FYI.:rolleyes:

This is the wording that has me concerned:

The Department is meeting
with First Nations and established advisory groups during consultations in
March and April to discuss potential adjustments to management measures.
Interim management measures beginning April 1st, 2020, will be in effect until
further notice. A future announcement on possible revised management actions
is anticipated in June 2020.

Just saying......

Wow. Sorry carry on.:rolleyes:

sounds like you guys have it all taken care of! so carry on :rolleyes:

nothing to worry about all gonna be taken care of behind the scenes lol

There are more first nation chiefs involved in fishery politics on the west coast then all the rec representatives put together.

I just think its silly to convey that there is lots of involvement when that is not true. There is a few that work their asses off and that's it and 90% of them are from industry. The involvement on non industry rec fisheries is almost nil.

Last edited:
I agree with GNB. The wording on the DFO document is not that great and is preparing us for a change to come.

DFO should have added: Buy your license soon, we need the funds.

DFO is meeting with advisory Boards in March/April. I called into the Victoria meeting and they had 4 advisory board members, 8 rec fisherman and 2 DFO attend by calling in.. It appears that there is not to much interest with rec fisherman when only 8 fisherman called in for the whole south Van Is. Don’t they sell thousands of fishing licenses in the Victoria area. It was so easy to attend, I read the post on how to attend and called in. Just sat back with a beer and listened in, No driving required and the fridge at my finger tips.

Hopefully next meeting, more will attend and get to understand the truth of what is going on behind the scenes.

Now it’s the 1st Nations turn to meet with DFO. Remember the 1st Nations (Fraser River, Skeena River bands, Native Union and probably more) have already written letters to the Minister requesting that all catch and release fishing is cancelled and no fishing should take place.
In one letter they wrote something like this “ This is our food and the recreational fisherman are playing with our food”

I would really like to see the minutes from the DFO and 1st Nations meeting. Good Luck with that.

I feel that at the best, it will be the same regulations as last year.

I will NOT buy my license UNTIL I find out if I can keep Salmon. I DO NOT DO CATCH AND RELEASE and NEVER HAVE....(period!!!!)
In a good year fishing from shore I may catch 5-6 fish from May to August and now I only have August... What a joke !!!

I will NOT buy my license UNTIL I find out if I can keep Salmon. I DO NOT DO CATCH AND RELEASE and NEVER HAVE....(period!!!!)
In a good year fishing from shore I may catch 5-6 fish from May to August and now I only have August... What a joke !!!
I hear ya but problem is you need a license for crab, prawn, cod... pretty much anything else. So if you’re salmon only you can make this stand but most of us have to buy one anyways. And as someone else pointed out, at $21 a pop, this ain’t their gravy train and they likely don’t give a damn.
Agree on the catch and release though.... it’s like drinking decaf coffee. Weak but I guess you have to if the real thing ain’t available.
I think a lot of on-board grills are going to be installed in the near future, if you catch my drift

Yeah but it’s only like 2o people. Certainly not even remotely close to “lots of people”

I agree there are a few dedicated people who are working their asses off for our own best interest. However, if they called upon the masses who make up the rec sector for support in terms of showing up to an important DFO meeting, protest outside a DFO or ministers office, how many of us would get off our asses per se and march to that order? Not a whole lot... If the Indian chiefs called upon their FN brotherhood to go and make some noise, it happens. If the commies or those representing the commies called all commies to do something, it gets done.

Our industry has been known to rol over and play dead.... No wonder why it's so easy to bend us over a stump and make it so that we don't walk properly for the next several days.. It happens over and over again and once this year, we will take it up the butt without a fight.... That's how it has always been and will always be... If all we do is write useless letters. Then wait and hope for a positive outcome...then complain afterwards when it's too late.... Not a good strategy... Never has worked and never will work...

Agreed that all of this is a bunch of ********. Why the hell are those chiefs complaining about catch and release? Did any one of them check the boat ramps and went out during last year's nonrention period? I went out 2 times and could count perhaps 2 or 3 other boats max out at thrasher on a sunny weekend in June when there normally are 20 to 30 boats if not more there. No one was catching and releasing so the FN ******** about how catch and release kills fish is nonsense.

They are likely complaining about catch and release to use as a negating tool or leverage to help them put pressure on DFO to put further reductions on what already is bone with next to Zero meat left on it.

I agree there are a few dedicated people who are working their asses off for our own best interest. However, if they called upon the masses who make up the rec sector for support in terms of showing up to an important DFO meeting, protest outside a DFO or ministers office, how many of us would get off our asses per se and march to that order? Not a whole lot... If the Indian chiefs called upon their FN brotherhood to go and make some noise, it happens. If the commies or those representing the commies called all commies to do something, it gets done.

Our industry has been known to rol over and play dead.... No wonder why it's so easy to bend us over a stump and make it so that we don't walk properly for the next several days.. It happens over and over again and once this year, we will take it up the butt without a fight.... That's how it has always been and will always be... If all we do is write useless letters. Then wait and hope for a positive outcome...then complain afterwards when it's too late.... Not a good strategy... Never has worked and never will work...
Our industry isn’t really an industry it’s a recreational pastime. If all 300,000 recreational fishermen were part of an industry, earning a living at it,you can bet we’d have their attention. Sadly the vast majority are raising families and holding down jobs! Not to say it’s an excuse, just pointing out the facts.

DFO could make a real effort to connect with the recreational community, but why bother. They want to keep their jobs easy and manageable.

Our industry isn’t really an industry it’s a recreational pastime. If all 300,000 recreational fishermen were part of an industry, earning a living at it,you can bet we’d have their attention. Sadly the vast majority are raising families and holding down jobs! Not to say it’s an excuse, just pointing out the facts.

DFO could make a real effort to connect with the recreational community, but why bother. They want to keep their jobs easy and manageable.

Completely agree with you on all that you Said... While it is a past time, it is also a passion and a way of life for many of us... A means of creating unforgettable memories with family, children and friends. To me, the time that I spend with my children, family and friends enjoying our fishing passion is more valuable than any monetary gains that I can obtain were it a job that I would loose. I don't think we will fully appreciate the rights that we have as citizens and tax paying people from this nation, which should allow us a share and right to enjoy our own natural resources. We won't realize until it's gone how precious it is.

The government which ever government it is found to be is going to need a **** load of cash to pay for this incident that is taking place in the country and the world right now. They are going to need that cash where ever they can get it, they are going to be forced to be extremely business friendly to get people back to work and paying taxes and businesses running and paying taxes. Those groups that don’t pay taxes may find their needs shoved to the side for a time. Recreational fishing may not be an industry but the support for it is a big industry not only on the coast but across the country. It may change the governments minds somewhat and change their view as to what is a priority. Might just be wishful thinking and it might be to late for this year but maybe the next couple years ahead.

Bottom Line INDIANS RULE AND WILL BE MAKING THE RULES. That has been coming for a long time and now it is here. That decision has already been made in the Supreme Court of Canada. so forget about taking anybody to court. The only way to change it is through a vote in Parliament and that won't happen.

Yes but I only catch salmon. I do not own a boat and rarely get out to do any trolling. So, no license for me until August.

I hear ya but problem is you need a license for crab, prawn, cod... pretty much anything else. So if you’re salmon only you can make this stand but most of us have to buy one anyways. And as someone else pointed out, at $21 a pop, this ain’t their gravy train and they likely don’t give a damn.
Agree on the catch and release though.... it’s like drinking decaf coffee. Weak but I guess you have to if the real thing ain’t available.
I think a lot of on-board grills are going to be installed in the near future, if you catch my drift

I agree with GNB. The wording on the DFO document is not that great and is preparing us for a change to come.

DFO should have added: Buy your license soon, we need the funds.

DFO is meeting with advisory Boards in March/April. I called into the Victoria meeting and they had 4 advisory board members, 8 rec fisherman and 2 DFO attend by calling in.. It appears that there is not to much interest with rec fisherman when only 8 fisherman called in for the whole south Van Is. Don’t they sell thousands of fishing licenses in the Victoria area. It was so easy to attend, I read the post on how to attend and called in. Just sat back with a beer and listened in, No driving required and the fridge at my finger tips.

Hopefully next meeting, more will attend and get to understand the truth of what is going on behind the scenes.

Too many of us have attended too many of these meetings. It's an absolutely useless process. Yes, it's the only process that appears to give us some say in decisions but that's just theory. In reality DFO never listens to any of our motions or asks. That's why I don't blame people for staying clear of this bad theatre. A waste of time.

I've attended almost every meeting for the last 10 years. With very little interest, we should probably stop the meetings and see where that get's us.
So you are aware, that there have been numerous motions from these meeting brought forward to DFO which have been implement. I'm almost at the point of not going to any more meeting or writing letters to DFO/MPs.... Hopefully doing nothing will get us fishing.

Unfortunately i don't see how doing nothing will improve our situation. The squeaky wheel gets the grease

Back