2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok folks, simmer down! All this quarantine is getting to people!

here’s a late compilation report from the last week and a bit. Between work and taking care of the kids I have managed to sneak out every other day for a strategic 2-3 hour shift mostly with the kids to get them out of the house but also a couple times solo for some peace and quiet dad time. Fishing mostly brotchie to clover at 99’ on the rigger along the 86’ line. Some of the outings have been RED HOT, while others have been dead slow. Yesterday was one of the slower ones in that zone....but I did see some nice pics from oak bay flats confirming the heat over there. Maybe they were tight in...or way out. It’s true that most people stay in one narrow strip on the flats but it is a huge area with lots of spots where the fish hold...just like Constance and the waterfront. To think you can monitor every boat out there would be quite the challenge.

Anyways, today is the least windy of the next few before it closes until summer and this guy has one spot left on last years dance card, so....

oh and here’s a pic of my 6 year old’s 10lb hatch from 75’ of between brotchie and the wall from Wednesday; suns out guns out! (Not sure why pics are sideways?)

AP.JPG
AP1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok folks, simmer down! All this quarantine is getting to people!

here’s a late compilation report from the last week and a bit. Between work and taking care of the kids I have managed to sneak out every other day for a strategic 2-3 hour shift mostly with the kids to get them out of the house but also a couple times solo for some peace and quiet dad time. Fishing mostly brotchie to clover at 99’ on the rigger along the 86’ line. Some of the outings have been RED HOT, while others have been dead slow. Yesterday was one of the slower ones in that zone....but I did see some nice pics from oak bay flats confirming the heat over there. Maybe they were tight in...or way out. It’s true that most people stay in one narrow strip on the flats but it is a huge area with lots of spots where the fish hold...just like Constance and the waterfront. To think you can monitor every boat out there would be quite the challenge.

Anyways, today is the least windy of the next few before it closes until summer and this guy has one spot left on last years dance card, so....

oh and here’s a pic of my 6 year old’s 10lb hatch from 75’ of between brotchie and the wall from Wednesday; suns out guns out! (Not sure why pics are sideways?)

View attachment 51584 View attachment 51585

great work Andrew!
Is that a herring spoon? White hoochie colour?

Fishermen have been observed to sometimes not report the exact area they are getting success.

Aint' that the truth!
Most, not all, fishermen are reluctant to share exactly where they are getting their fish with strangers, especially when the area is fairly small.

As an oldtimer that has become a full time jigger,I can tell you that you won't know when I'm having a good day catching even if I'm fairly close to you.I still get excited at the pull on the line every time,but the days of high fiviing and kayays are left for the Googans in the charter boats.I will quietly have my fun and usually (always now) release the fish while still in the water with my gaff or pliers if necessary.I do reports only if I think there's plenty of fish for everyone.

A little sloppy out there but I gave OB a whirl. Trolled the flats. Every time I brought the gear up there was a undetected shaker. Got fed up with that so jigged for a bit but only annoyed a few small Lings and Rockfish. Trolled the Gap, one little Spring all of 20" and a decent sized ling that pounded the gear a fair ways off the bottom. Got me excited for a minute but no fish to bring home.
Crab traps were loaded again but most were a bit too soft. Weeded out 4 good ones though.
Why is it that when your trying to back your trailer down, people have to stand around at the top of the boat ramp, or every car that comes in has to pause like they've never seen a road into the ocean?

Why is it that when your trying to back your trailer down, people have to stand around at the top of the boat ramp, or every car that comes in has to pause like they've never seen a road into the ocean?

Backing up trailers are one of the 7 wonders of the world. Some stand in awe, while others are drawn in by the pretty lights.....

Don’t even get me started with peeps on wheels....

Glad you made it out today. I had my boat on standby willing the winds to die down. :(

Who needs regs with these winds....

Last edited:
Backing up trailers are one of the 7 wonders of the world. Some stand in awe, while others are drawn in by the pretty lights.....

I had one guy and his mother walk behind the boat and trailer as I was slowly backing down the ramp
I hit the brakes as I got a partial glimpse of them.
The guy then proceeds to rip me a new one, what an a-hole!

I had one guy and his mother walk behind the boat and trailer as I was slowly backing down the ramp
I hit the brakes as I got a partial glimpse of them.
The guy then proceeds to rip me a new one, what an a-hole!
I had a guy without a trailer park in the middle of the last two parking spots at Elk while I was launching I just stared him down until he moved then I politely said thanks what a suck I am

Many people are amazingly inconsiderate of other users.
I put a lot of blame on the designers of the ramps too. Why does the roadway or walking path cross the top of the ramp? If cross traffic were routed shoreward of trailer parking/ramp there would be no conflict.

Many people are amazingly inconsiderate of other users.
I put a lot of blame on the designers of the ramps too. Why does the roadway or walking path cross the top of the ramp? If cross traffic were routed shoreward of trailer parking/ramp there would be no conflict.
Sidney ramp is good that way

As for the Cattle Point launch. Be careful letting your boat drift over the cement walkway. There are a couple of steel bolts sticking up that could do a nasty on a hull.

Good Day All,

I'm getting mixed information on the regulations in area 19. As of Apr 1, is chinook closed until further notice? Similar to last years protection measures, for the Fraser runs?? I was going to get a new licence and launch tomorrow for the first time this year. Isolation in a boat is better than isolation on the couch. What's the news?

Per email from DFO on March 30, 2020:

FN0322-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Chinook - Areas 11 to 28, 111, 121 to 127 and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5 and 29-8 - Chinook Management Measures - Effective April 1, 2020

"Strait of Georgia - South and Juan de Fuca - Area 18, Subareas 19-3 to 19-12,
20-3 to 20-7, and Subareas 29-3 to 29-5 and 29-8:

00:01 hours April 1 to 23:59 hours July 31, 2020, Chinook non-retention;"

Good Day All,

I'm getting mixed information on the regulations in area 19. As of Apr 1, is chinook closed until further notice? Similar to last years protection measures, for the Fraser runs?? I was going to get a new licence and launch tomorrow for the first time this year. Isolation in a boat is better than isolation on the couch. What's the news?
Non retention for chinook

Well I love catching them more than I like eating them. I am a sport fisherman. No question these regs suck, but will not stop me from going out.

I went out today for a couple of hours. Oak Bay flats. landed all 4 of my hits. Including the double banger. One was 3 ish the others
5 lbs. All hatch. Didn't see much on the screen

For those forum bashers....All were released safely with the gaff.

JL

Well I love catching them more than I like eating them. I am a sport fisherman. No question these regs suck, but will not stop me from going out.
I went out today for a couple of hours. Oak Bay flats. landed all 4 of my hits. Including the double banger. One was 3 ish the others
5 lbs. All hatch. Didn't see much on the screen
For those forum bashers....All were released safely with the gaff.
JL

Sorry, for the record, I do not find dragging in and releasing 3ish and 5 pound Springs good sport!
Your right to choose, my right to disagree!
No need to debate the survival rate.

If the fishing was open there would be a pile more people doing exactly this while trying for that 10 lber.
As a fairly new person to fishing for salmon I don’t know any other way than this new non retention fishery. Some days last year in Aug when I pulled up to a dock at the end of a day and see 4 guys getting out of there boat with a shitload of fish I feel for the fish. My passion is for fishing not eating fish, I do love to eat what I catch if I’m lucky enough to get a keeper but I’m just as happy when I get skunked. The Stizz knows what I mean ;-)

Hey King Crab, wondering about your July 31 reference in your post. Looking at the Fishing BC app it seems to indicate a closure until March 31, 2021 (with the possibility of in season adjustments, of course). Welcome any clarification input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back