2020 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Great time was had at the Derby. My good friend Kent convinced me to fish with him this derby as I swore last year I would never return to Bamfield due to the crowds. I must say the winter fishing was much more pleasant and I was not playing bumper boats with a bunch of yahoo’s tough tacking me.

Anyway we boated some spectacular winter springs in the 6-10lb range. We had one huge hit while fishing in front of Brady’s that did not stick. Kent had the grill going on the back with a pot of hot oil waiting for a couple corn dogs to jump in and fry. When the fish struck Kent freaked out and spilt the bowl of batter all over the deck. The back deck turned into a skating rink and there was no way we could safely grab the rod. Long story short the fish got off and we had a good laugh!

I will be back next winter for some more fun.

All the best BBB

Bamfield wall Friday morning. 8lb and a few shakers. Saturday started at Holford Bay, trolled to Diplock. Painted fish and bait but only got shakers. Few seals were chasing bait. Pulled up and went to Swale. Picked up 4 between Swale and Harbour Entrance. 10lb was the biggest. Sunday was back to Bamfied. Trolled to Brady beach and back. One 8lb was all we could muster. Green or Purple haze flashers with white or prawn hoochies worked best. 70 to 90 feet in 100 to 250 ft of water.

Can’t ya just say it’s horrible fishing over there. :D It’s going to be at least a month before anybody from nook can head over. Fingers crossed that’s all. Anyways everyone stay safe. And good luck on the fishing for the ones that can get out there.

Last edited:
Can’t ya just say it’s horrible fishing over there. :D It’s going to be at least a month before anybody from nook can head over. Fingers crossed that’s all. Anyways everyone stay safe. And good luck on the fishing for the ones that can get out there.
China creek closed at least till june1

Seeing a decent number of trucks and trailers at Clutesi.
How is the fishing?

Was taking the boat over April 2 but have cancelled that plan. Thought it would stay open has would be one of the easier places to self isolate.

I thought they would at least stay open for seasonal campers for now...... not really many people up there before May long.

Does anyone have a map that shows the area open for retention. I have looked at the big map from DFO but can’t tell if places like Pill Point etc are considered within the mile from shore. The big map looks like it has areas on the shore closed as well.

Does anyone have a map that shows the area open for retention. I have looked at the big map from DFO but can’t tell if places like Pill Point etc are considered within the mile from shore. The big map looks like it has areas on the shore closed as well.
Haven’t seen this DFO report but if it’s the same as last year I think you”ll find that the line from shore is reference to a line basically drawn from Beal lighthouse and Amphirite lighthouse (Ucluelet).
Then project one mile seaward of this line-that’s the boundary.
As I said ,I haven’t seen this new report so could be wrong.

Pennell is correct. All the popular inshore spots are well within the boundary, including Kirby and Cree.

Back